Sponsored

Fad delete and rcv axle.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I know what you are getting at. With a lifted Jeep you want to preserve the caster but setting the caster angle is a give and take with the pinion angle. You have to set the pinion just enough to get rid of driveshaft vibration and hope that it gives you enough caster for quality driving. Your solution seems to be to set the caster with what you want, worry less about the pinion, and then get rid of vibration caused by the pinion by using the FAD to prevent the driveshaft from spinning. That's one way to look at it but my point from the start was that if your driveshaft is vibrating, start first by checking to see if the driveshaft is balanced and don't blame the vibration on the FAD.
Nobody was blaming the vibration on the FAD, we’re blaming it on a poor axle design. My solution is replace the axle. You could also cut and turn the axle tubes like we used to do on the FJ40 spring over conversions but that’s outside of most peoples expertise. Having caster set properly is more important than pinion angle to most people who drive these on the street, at least it should be. Jeep didn’t do us any favors with these axles.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That's one way to look at it but my point from the start was that if your driveshaft is vibrating, start first by checking to see if the driveshaft is balanced and don't blame the vibration on the FAD.
Your driveshaft can be perfectly balanced and you can still have the vibration. I am 1000% positive that Adam's balances every single one of the shafts they make and yet they warn about driveline vibration and premature wear by removing the FAD. It's all about the crappy angle between the axle and transfer case that FCA designed into the JL.

Last edited:

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your driveshaft can be perfectly balanced and you can still have the vibration. I am 1000% positive that Adam's balances every single one of the shafts they make and yet they warn about driveline vibration and premature wear by removing the FAD. It's all about the crappy angle between the axle and transfer case that FCA designed into the JL.
Only because the driveshaft does not spin when the FAD is in use. It’s not rocket science. Deleting the FAD does not cause vibration. It will only make pre-existing vibration more obvious now that the driveshaft is spinning in 2WD.

Reactions: J0E

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ding ding ding, this guy gets it.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You agree that the Mopar axle is a bad design but then you throw money at it (twice) re-gearing instead of buying one with proper gearing and pinion. How does that make sense?

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Only because the driveshaft does not spin when the FAD is in use. It’s not rocket science. Deleting the FAD does not cause vibration. It will only make pre-existing vibration more obvious now that the driveshaft is spinning in 2WD.
Dude, we all know what causes the vibration. It’s not rocket science. The whole point of the conversation is that if you set your caster properly AND delete your FAD you should expect driveline vibration. I don’t know why we’re going around in circles about this.

Reactions: J0E

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You agree that the Mopar axle is a bad design but then you throw money at it (twice) re-gearing instead of buying one with proper gearing and pinion. How does that make sense?
Duh...because I don't have an issue with the FAD and it works just fine--just like your 4.10s and 37's work for you.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Duh...because I don't have an issue with the FAD and it works just fine--just like your 4.10s and 37's work for you.
Haha! Just when I started to think that you might have a little Jeep wisdom, your troll me jumping to another thread and totally contradict what you were defending in the other one. Classic.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Haha! Just when I started to think that you might have a little Jeep wisdom, your troll me jumping to another thread and totally contradict what you were defending in the other one. Classic.
Apparently, oh, never mind.

I didn't contradict anything. Your 4.10's and 37's work for you, right? You said so.

My FAD/trussed/re-geared axle works for me, I just said so.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, we all know what causes the vibration. It’s not rocket science. The whole point of the conversation is that if you set your caster properly AND delete your FAD you should expect driveline vibration. I don’t know why we’re going around in circles about this.
Rewind to the start,

I said: "If getting rid of the FAD makes your driveshaft vibrate, then you have other problems though...possibly pinion angle.."

You said: "It’s not that you have other problems, it’s that Jeep designed these axles with a pretty poor pinion angle..."

How is that different?

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Rewind to the start,

I said: "If getting rid of the FAD makes your driveshaft vibrate, then you have other problems though...possibly pinion angle.."

You said: "It’s not that you have other problems, it’s that Jeep designed these axles with a pretty poor pinion angle..."

How is that different?
Never mind, I’m over it.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently, oh, never mind.

I didn't contradict anything. Your 4.10's and 37's work for you, right? You said so.

My FAD/trussed/re-geared axle works for me, I just said so.
Trussed? You spent money on two re-gears and a truss on an axle that you now say is terrible design from the factory?! Haha. This is great. You can't make this stuff up.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Trussed? You spent money on two re-gears and a truss on an axle that you now say is terrible design from the factory?! Haha. This is great. You can't make this stuff up.
Really dude...you need to grow up. I have no issues with my axles, but you sure seem to.

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
"Every single one" could be a correct statement. Balanced correctly I would disagree. I purchased front and rear and had to have the front balanced at a local shop. All is good. Not saying anything bad about Adams. Just saying sh#t happens.

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
Thought it would be worth mentioning.

Wranglers with the All-Wheel-Drive T-case are paired with a factory axle that does not have a 2pc axle and FAD.

Jeep would likely not offer the AWD t-case if they expected heavy driveline vibrations from the front axle geometry. (my assumption is the geometry between the FAD and non-FAD axles is the same)
Sponsored