RCV Front and Rear axle install

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hard to believe it but this is the 7th update to our Rubicon build journal. I've decided to start to posting the updates into the section of the forum that matches each new update.

Previous updates and the original build thread:
The build - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/silent-pandas-2-door-rubicon-build.25628/

Update 1 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-build-update-metalcloak-inner-fenders.31381/

Update 2 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...n-build-update-2-metalcloak-bump-stops.34124/

Update 3 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-smarts-yeti-xd-drag-link-and-tie-rod.34837/

Update 4 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...lcloak-lower-shock-relocation-brackets.36973/

Update 5 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bicon-update-5-z-automotive-tazer-mini.37354/

Update 7 - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...on-update-6-1350-goodness-from-je-reel.40392/

In this update I will install RCV front and rear axle shafts...there was a bit of a surprise with the rear shafts!

I won't dive too deep into the installation since the install videos from RCV are damn good. I really can't improve on their efforts. The install is straight forward. i do have some insights to share to help your installation go more smoothly. Have an inner bearing race puller and a 3 jaw puller available.

Front axles - I have the FAD skid from Metalcloak installed. You do not have to remove it to remove the FAD module...just use a u-joint on your socket.

Stock vs RCV:
I'm not showing you anything that hasn't already been seen here. The RCV axles are made without the constraints of OEM budgets and bean counters. This allows them to create the art pictured below. There are many excellent aftermarket options for us Jeepers but these are the best. There is a price for excellence but a tremendous value in knowing I won't break them.
FA 1.jpeg

3 jaw to pull the unit bearing: My unit bearing had a bit of corrosion on the mating surface to the knuckle requiring a bit of persuasion from a 3 jaw puller.
3 jaw.jpeg

Unit bearing corrosion: I cleaned up the corrosion with some scotchbright and a bit of high temp grease before reassembly.
unit bearing.jpeg

Last bit of advice on the front axle...get the axle seals the RCV offers. I did not but will after this season of wheeling...this is a pic of the inside of the passenger side axle tube...gross.

gross.jpeg

Rear axles - I got them as a precaution...or so I thought.

As nice as the front axles are, the rear parts are pretty special. Hogged out of one big bar of 300M steel.
IMG_9474.jpeg
IMG_9472.jpeg

The twist...every good story has one right?! Below are a couple pics of my stock left side axle. I really can't bitch about their strength. I was running them with 37's and I like the right pedal.

twist 1.jpeg

Here is the new RCV and old twisted axle side by side for reference.
twist 2.jpeg

Bearing race puller for the inner races:
race puller.jpeg

These parts installed with little issue. As I said, the install videos are very good. I'm looking forward to many years a use form them and am happy as hell I did the rear shafts before EJS this year. I am sure they would have failed.

With these RCV parts and the JE Reel driveshafts, I'll be able to send it with confidence!

snap ring.jpg
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
How many miles did you have on the shafts? How many with the 37”s? Now I’m anxious

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
How many miles did you have on the shafts? How many with the 37”s? Now I’m anxious
I have about 9-10k miles on the 37"s...about 11 months.

I was relieved. The cost to fix that potential mess would be a whole lot more than just an axle swap.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I have about 9-10k miles on the 37"s...about 11 months.

I was relieved. The cost to fix that potential mess would be a whole lot more than just an axle swap.
Awesome build...Did you have any vibrations driving on the hwy after removing the FAD and adding 1 piece RCV's? Ive read where several people on here have had issues and ended up swapping to the 2 piece RCV's and keeping the FAD. They claimed their driveshaft was balanced and not the issue.

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Awesome build...Did you have any vibrations driving on the hwy after removing the FAD and adding 1 piece RCV's? Ive read where several people on here have had issues and ended up swapping to the 2 piece RCV's and keeping the FAD. They claimed their driveshaft was balanced and not the issue.
Thank you. It's been a year long process.

I have had no vibrations. My Jeep is a daily driver for either me or my GF, we'd feel a difference in NVH if there was one. The engineer in me has a had time understanding how a single pc shaft could produce more vibrations than a 2 pc arrangement especially when they are constrained the way. It is a dubious claim to me.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Great post. Thanks for the pics. do you know what makes the rear RCV better than just a chromoly shaft? the price for the rear is crazy. I wasn't expecting that. I am also surprised at how twisted your rear shaft was. Interesting.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Thank you. It's been a year long process.

I have had no vibrations. My Jeep is a daily driver for either me or my GF, we'd feel a difference in NVH if there was one. The engineer in me has a had time understanding how a single pc shaft could produce more vibrations than a 2 pc arrangement especially when they are constrained the way. It is a dubious claim to me.
mine was fine with single piece rcv’s too. castor is the 2 full turns on RK joints more than 5.5 degrees. I guess 6+ish.. I thought I had vibration once, but it continued when stopped then realized up it was the subwoofer.. RCV told me to call them if there was more vibration, said it shouldn’t be an issue if everything else is good.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Great post. Thanks for the pics. do you know what makes the rear RCV better than just a chromoly shaft? the price for the rear is crazy. I wasn't expecting that. I am also surprised at how twisted your rear shaft was. Interesting.
for the rear the RCV 300m are really big bucks, I am gambling with CM Yukon for the rear.

300m is super expensive, used in airplane landing gear ultra 4 cars. Super strong don’t ding it though.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
for the rear the RCV 300m are really big bucks, I am gambling with CM Yukon for the rear.

300m is super expensive, used in airplane landing gear ultra 4 cars. Super strong don’t ding it though.
Is RCV the only one that does the 300m?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
THANK YOU. 300M is a modified chemistry of chromoly. It has a little higher ductility. The cost is due to the cost of billet the axles are turned from.

I was pretty surprised with the amount of twist too...I hope to never have to deal with that again...

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
THANK YOU. 300M is a modified chemistry of chromoly. It has a little higher ductility. The cost is due to the cost of billet the axles are turned from.

I was pretty surprised with the amount of twist too...I hope to never have to deal with that again...
Pretty surprised the hubs and axles are one piece. That's a lot of excess very expensive material they turn down.

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Pretty surprised the hubs and axles are one piece. That's a lot of excess very expensive material they turn down.
Doing things the right way is rarely inexpensive...I'm just happy that is another thing I don't have to worry about.

Imagine the cost of getting out to Moab or Sand Hollow from Cincinnati and breaking an axle on the trial...the cost of these shafts becomes less than a wash in that scenario.

The value of a trouble free experience on my vacation is hard to put a number on.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Doing things the right way is rarely inexpensive...I'm just happy that is another thing I don't have to worry about.

Imagine the cost of getting out to Moab or Sand Hollow from Cincinnati and breaking an axle on the trial...the cost of these shafts becomes less than a wash in that scenario.

The value of a trouble free experience on my vacation is hard to put a number on.
Just ordered a set of RCV one piece for front JLUR.

Now the rear shafts are crawling around in my head.

Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just ordered a set of RCV one piece for front JLUR.

Now the rear shafts are crawling around in my head.

Thanks for the tips!
Very cool!

Our groups last trip results in 3 sets of broken rear stock axles. Those guys were asking for it though...38's and 40's on heavy rigs...
Sponsored