Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Very cool!

Our groups last trip results in 3 sets of broken rear stock axles. Those guys were asking for it though...38's and 40's on heavy rigs...
Rear axles in this JLUR was not something I was considering anytime soon. Always had good luck with DANA 44s in JKs. I assumed these Advantek axles were pretty tough. I wanted to end the FAD and the one piece axle along with CV (no U Joint)made total sense. Thus on order.

Your observations and experience (along with pictures)has now made me rethink the rear axles. My wife and I wheel alone 95% of the time. We are headed back to Ouray in August and are hoping to run Dusy-Ershim some time in the late fall.
There would be that added layer of confidence knowing the beef was there.
Sponsored

Deleted member 33002

I had the 1pc installed when I re-geared. I’m having front vibs going 60mph+ with a oscillating sound. +5.5 front caster with Adams ds. Im going to pull out the front ds off and go from there. Might need a DS rebalanced or run less caster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[
I had the 1pc installed when I re-geared. I’m having front vibs going 60mph+ with a oscillating sound. +5.5 front caster with Adams ds. Im going to pull out the front ds off and go from there. Might need a DS rebalanced or run less caster.
Good luck, hopefully as simple as a re-balance.

Please update with findings

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Do you wish you would have done the 2 piece? Just curious. I'm not doing mine this year but hopefully next year I can put RCVs in. Unless I find a smoking deal. but for as much as I wheel, I think i'm going to keep the 2 piece. RCV claims only like a 5% increase in strength I think. I'm at 6.5 degrees of caster and my driveshaft is already at a crazy angle.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to CHINAMANJLUR For those interested: I had the one piece RCVs on order until 30 minutes ago. I now have the 2 piece being shipped from East Coast Gear Supply.

This thread concerned me so I thought I would call RCV Tech dept. They were honest and filled me in on the one piece potentially causing a harmonics issue. They have addressed part of the problem but the potential for vibration is still there. They only do the one piece by special order at this point.

I called ECGS and they had the 2 piece set on the shelf and will ship out today.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the heads up about issue. They may work you out a deal. Their tech dept seemed to be on top of things and up front. May save you some troubleshooting time.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Thanks to CHINAMANJLUR For those interested: I had the one piece RCVs on order until 30 minutes ago. I now have the 2 piece being shipped from East Coast Gear Supply.

This thread concerned me so I thought I would call RCV Tech dept. They were honest and filled me in on the one piece potentially causing a harmonics issue. They have addressed part of the problem but the potential for vibration is still there. They only do the one piece by special order at this point.

I called ECGS and they had the 2 piece set on the shelf and will ship out today.
Funny, when I called RCV in March they told me it won’t be a problem as if I had issues they would take care of it. Mine was ok with 1 piece and Adams shaft. I don’t know my exact castor setting. I shorted the uppers 3/16 from 5.5 deg. It seems rear loading affects the castor a little or I can’t duplicate the shops numbers..

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny, when I called RCV in March they told me it won’t be a problem as if I had issues they would take care of it. Mine was ok with 1 piece and Adams shaft. I don’t know my exact castor setting. I shorted the uppers 3/16 from 5.5 deg. It seems rear loading affects the castor a little or I can’t duplicate the shops numbers..
I wanted the one piece for obvious reasons but after talking to them they convinced me to go Two piece. They do sound as though they will back their product no matter what.

With this Jeep being my wifes daily driver and one that we drive very long distances pulling a camper trailer, I weighed my options. The CVs are so superior to U joints that it was still an easy decision.

Deleted member 33002

Do you wish you would have done the 2 piece? Just curious. I'm not doing mine this year but hopefully next year I can put RCVs in. Unless I find a smoking deal. but for as much as I wheel, I think i'm going to keep the 2 piece. RCV claims only like a 5% increase in strength I think. I'm at 6.5 degrees of caster and my driveshaft is already at a crazy angle.
Yeah I wish I went with 2pc at the moment. But it could be just my DS balance or Too much caster? I’ll get my front DS back Monday.

Deleted member 33002

I believe if you shorted the front uppers you gain more caster.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Delivered yesterday now waiting for Dana dif covers.

RCV Axle.jpg

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I need to touch base with Ricky at RCV...Interesting that their tech group recommended 2pc.

I'll sat again that it is hard for me to understand how there would be more harmonic with 1 rather than 2pcs. It is a precision turned part...the runout must be next to nothing. The only cause of harmonic in that shaft would be runout.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I need to touch base with Ricky at RCV...Interesting that their tech group recommended 2pc.

I'll sat again that it is hard for me to understand how there would be more harmonic with 1 rather than 2pcs. It is a precision turned part...the runout must be next to nothing. The only cause of harmonic in that shaft would be runout.
the drive shaft Rotates with 1 piece and does not with 2 piece. That’s the difference. If the castor puts the drive shaft at a wonky angle or if the drive shaft is out of balance it is theoretically possible.

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
the drive shaft Rotates with 1 piece and does not with 2 piece. That’s the difference. If the castor puts the drive shaft at a wonky angle or if the drive shaft is out of balance it is theoretically possible.

I was referring to the axle shaft.

Agree that a driveshaft with a crazy angle will make a vibration.
Sponsored