Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
Why don’t you guys take your top frame out of the track once you have it pulled back?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Why don’t you guys take your top frame out of the track once you have it pulled back?
I don't think there is anything to gain by popping it out of the track, unless you are removing the soft top altogether.

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Looks better imo. Lays there like the Previous 3 generations.
Agree 100% it looks better. I just need a clean solution to secure the detached frame to keep it from rubbing against my subwoofer enclosure. I ran it that way when I first got it, but stopped when I saw it was rubbing and noticed it was moving around at speed a little more than I was comfortable with. Haven’t really thought about it since, so thanks for bringing it up 👍. I’ll need to give it another shot. I imagine without the subwoofer, both sides tuck down nicely.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I finally decided to put in the order for the factory soft top. Cannot wait to install it. Loved it on my TJ.

Looking forward to opening the top and safari mode.

Favorite way in my TJ was half doors pieces removed and rear window rolled up.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I finally decided to put in the order for the factory soft top. Cannot wait to install it. Loved it on my TJ.

Looking forward to opening the top and safari mode.

Favorite way in my TJ was half doors pieces removed and rear window rolled up.

You really shouldn't roll the rear window. If it has even the slightest bit of dust, you will rub crazy scratches into itself. I'm convinced Jeeps still come with the rear button snap loops so people roll the window and have to buy new rear window from all the scratches.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
You really shouldn't roll the rear window. If it has even the slightest bit of dust, you will rub crazy scratches into itself. I'm convinced Jeeps still come with the rear button snap loops so people roll the window and have to buy new rear window from all the scratches.
I no longer own the TJ. Had that in my early to mid 20s. I recall my windows were a bit scratched. Still had a lot of fun with it. Tree sap was also a pain to get out the vinyl top.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Doing so would allow it to flop around, with damage likely to eventually occur when driving. The track performs an important retention feature for the sum of the soft top assembly, whether raised or lowered.

Removing the frame from the track is actually the first step in full removal of the soft top and attached framework, which requires hand tools and a bit of patience. There's really no half-measures here.

ITree sap was also a pain to get out the vinyl top.
Stuff called Goof Off works great.
Goof Off is a powerful solvent that can easily damage paint and [vinyl] fabric when not used carefully. Best to start with something gentle, like Goo Gone, or diluted Simple Green, and go from there. đź‘Ť

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Doing so would allow it to flop around, with damage likely to eventually occur when driving. The track performs an important retention feature for the sum of the soft top assembly, whether raised or lowered.

Removing the frame from the track is actually the first step in full removal of the soft top and attached framework, which requires hand tools and a bit of patience. There's really no half-measures here.

Goof Off is a powerful solvent that can easily damage paint and [vinyl] fabric when not used carefully. Best to start with something gentle, like Goo Gone, or diluted Simple Green, and go from there. đź‘Ť
I first tested it on a small part of the soft top (corner of rear window, replaceable if issues), no issue. It literally wiped the sap away first swipe. But yes, I followed instructions on bottle.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.

I have to disagree. I have run my 4 JL soft tops like this for years and thousands of miles. Nothing has happened to the top or the jeep. It doesn't flop around and releasing the frame from the track is very simple.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
You can't convince me that a top that looks like this when it folds "down" is an improvement over the JK soft top 🤮

Capture.PNG
This is the truest, most correct comment I've ever read. The Jl top looks like crud when folded down. To me it's a deal breaker.
Sponsored