Sponsored

Extra diesel fuel in cans...

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel
Hello forum, first diesel vehicle I have owned in South Florida weather conditions. I am thinking about storing extra diesel fuel in typical diesel fuels cans in garage for hurricane season. Any tips/suggestions storing extra diesel fuel in garage this summer? Will any additives keep it fresher longer? Thanks.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Hello forum, first diesel vehicle I have owned in South Florida weather conditions. I am thinking about storing extra diesel fuel in typical diesel fuels cans in garage for hurricane season. Any tips/suggestions storing extra diesel fuel in garage this summer? Will any additives keep it fresher longer? Thanks.
Also other brands
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra diesel fuel in cans... 55963F67-E81E-45E9-9A1E-F95D7F0B056F

Deleted member 59498

Yep, I have heard good things about sta-bil. They claim 12 months, which you could just recycle it through the jeep every 6 or 9 months and probably be good with this stuff.

CodeRed

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 chevy pick up 4x4, '09 997.1 turbo MT coupe
i wonder if it is the same formula for gasoline, just added the diesel label, i have a lot of it already

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Dunno if it’s the same or not. Last time I bought any (many moons ago) I believe it looked “different”, but that may just be a dye or something. I’d go with the diesel rated unless I knew for sure.

MikeSpiller

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Chevy Camaro Z28
I have some experience in this field, so let me give you a few tips:

First off, make sure that the cans you're using are specifically designed for diesel fuel. Regular gasoline cans won't work, as diesel fuel can actually degrade the plastic over time.

To keep the fuel fresh, you might consider adding a fuel stabilizer or diesel fuel additive to the cans. These products are designed to extend the shelf life of diesel fuel and prevent it from breaking down or becoming contaminated.

When storing the fuel, make sure to keep the cans in a cool, dry place, away from any sources of heat or flames. You'll also want to check the cans periodically to make sure that there are no leaks or other issues that could cause problems down the line.

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Another thing to remember is to use the proper diameter fill tube / funnel. Notice that pump nozzles are different diameters. This is so you don't put the wrong fuel in your vehicle accidentally. Years ago, before auto makers changed the diameter, I put gasoline in a diesel pickup> Not Good! Also, the factory put some kind of a restriction {anti backflow?} in the filler neck, to be sure you have a long neck funnel. You cannot fill with a short neck funnel.

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra diesel fuel in cans... 1682260388246
Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment is the top rated product used in the marine industry for keeping diesel fuel fresh. Since you are located in South Florida, it's important to include biocide protection in your stored diesel to keep ugly stuff from growing.

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
The stabil works great. I have snowmobiles for the winter and ATVs for the summer. Each sit about 6-9 months between uses and with the stabil I have never had an issue with fuel. I fill the tank to prevent condensation and add the stabil. Works great!

Stetson

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I keep spare fuel jugs on hand and after 1-2 months I pour it in the tank, refill the jugs, and top off my tank.

Personally, I think fuel stabilizers are more appropriate for situations where the fuel can’t easily be refreshed.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I would suspect that you will want to rotate stock from time to time. Store the fuel for so long then refill the Jeep from your cans then restock the cans

Borderline Jeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I ran Pri-G in my gasoline engine while I was in off working in Saudi Arabia. Seemed to work well. Looks like they make both gasoline and diesel versions.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra diesel fuel in cans... 1682265683516

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Also add some BIOBOR JF to prevent algae in the hot climate. I use the poly race car type fuel cans with the large screw top for storage and transport of diesel fuel.
Sponsored