Sponsored

Ethanol-Free Gasoline

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
On a trip, the other day, I saw Ethanol-Free Gasoline being sold at a Buc-ee's rest stop/gas station. I have not seen it sold anywhere in Texas, for many many years. I curse the use of ethanol in small lawn equipment, and have had to repair a lot of things because of it. So, I bought a 5 gallon gas can and filled it up, to take home.
I was wondering if any of you use the ethanol-free gas in your Wrangler, and can tell a difference? The stuff I saw was 90 octane.
I'm thinking of filling up with it, on the way back past that area.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
On a trip, the other day, I saw Ethanol-Free Gasoline being sold at a Buc-ee's rest stop/gas station. I have not seen it sold anywhere in Texas, for many many years. I curse the use of ethanol in small lawn equipment, and have had to repair a lot of things because of it. So, I bought a 5 gallon gas can and filled it up, to take home.
I was wondering if any of you use the ethanol-free gas in your Wrangler, and can tell a difference? The stuff I saw was 90 octane.
I used it in Wyoming. 3.6L

no issues And could tell no difference.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Ethanol free is a unicorn here in TX. Haven't run any in my Wrangler, but I get about 10% better mileage when I've used it in my Renegade.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I've found I get 20% better mpg with straight gas compared to 10% ethanol blend.
That sounds about the same as the additional cost they charge for it around here. I do buy it for the small engines though.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'm in the world of motorsports where we do endurance racing. Thus I'm "that guy" who is in the pits doing fuel calculations. For years we ran non ethanol spec race fuel (Sunoco GTX 260) then it was changed to a similar spec VP but it had 10% ethanol. Thus, my fuel consumption numbers changed approximately 13%. What that means is the car consumed 13% more fuel yet had the same power on the dyno (everyone else in the paddock had the same results). Thus, you will get greater fuel consumption but everything else stays the same.

Typically, the main issue is people that let fuel sit for a long time in equipment. On the other hand, this has been an issue for as long as I've been alive. I'd rather take fuel with ethanol than that old garbage leaded fuel back in the day. That comes from experience of seeing what that old garbage fuel did to the internals of engines (i.e. packing up the piston ring glands with lead).

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ethanol free is a unicorn here in TX. Haven't run any in my Wrangler, but I get about 10% better mileage when I've used it in my Renegade.
Ennis Tx. Buc-ee's. $3.38 Gallon.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I tried it once in my GM plastic car. My butt-o-meter didn't register much change at all, and the small gain in mpg's didn't make up for the extra cost. YMMV

Sponsored

Jon 1971

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Willys Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
1SG, USA (RET)
While I cannot comment on a Wrangler (still waiting on build), my wife's BMW X1 gets about 10% better MPG. Goes from 22-23 MPG to 25-26 MPG. All of the QT Marts and some Murphy's here in the San Antonio area have no ethanol.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I just wonder why NY or NJ gas stations do not sell ethanol free gas? Matter of fact I do not recall seeing Ethanol free anywhere in the North East from NH down to Virginia.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Have been using 15% ethanol gasoline in my lawn equipment with no winter additives for 6 years and the things run like when new.
Sponsored