ESS and flashing CEL

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I've mentioned this in a few threads, but thought I'd start my own, since it seems unique.

Under heavy acceleration I get a warning that ESS needs servicing, and a flashing CEL. The code is for a misfire in cylinder four.

They diagnosed it as ignition coil, when they swapped coils with cylinder 2, the code the reported misfire in cylinder 2.

Took a few days to get the part, they replaced, but the problem exists.

They've had it three days now, and have ordered a cylinder head for it. I don't know enough mechanically to know if this makes sense, and/or anything about how intrusive this is. My jeep has only got 1600km on it now (1000miles). Is it going to be a problem for me down the road having internals replaced so soon? (Im not asking to know the future, but just if there's history of things like this causing long term issues etc)

Said it take at least a week for the cylinder head to come in, but I'm getting my jeep back to drive in the meantime. They say it will cause no issues to drive it the way it is.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Theres a star case for the misfire.

Screenshot_20180620-214516_Drive.jpg

OP
OP

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
First I've heard of this! Thanks! Do I just give them this info?

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
You can, it's not an definitive answer to your problem. It's a good place to start.

I wouldn't drive the Jeep until it's fixed. They can provide you a loaner or rental at no cost to you.

OP
OP

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
If I'd let them keep the jeep this whole time they would have had it longer than I have. If it's not hurting it to drive, I'd rather have my jeep than a crappy loaner

That said, if it's not good for the jeep, then I'd obviously rather not.

Trying to get additional assistance from jeep/FCA is annoying. Jeepcares doesn't care, because I'm Canadian. FCA Canada told me to talk to my dealer, and dealer tells me to talk to FCA Canada. I just don't want my brand new engine ripped apart before it's even broken in,...

Sponsored

OP
OP

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Thought I'd have gotten a few more opinions...should have my title different :like:

I'm really concerned about having the engine torn apart and put back together.....should I not be?

Also, I'm going to get a second opinion. I've been thinking about their troubleshooting and diagnostics, and I'm not convinced replacing he cylinder head is necessary

They originally thought cylinder 4 ignition coil, and test by swapping with cylinder 2. The code then switched to cylinder 2....so how is it that the cylinder head is the problem? Again, I'm not a mechanic, but that doesn't make sense to me.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thought I'd have gotten a few more opinions...should have my title different :like:

I'm really concerned about having the engine torn apart and put back together.....should I not be?

Also, I'm going to get a second opinion. I've been thinking about their troubleshooting and diagnostics, and I'm not convinced replacing he cylinder head is necessary

They originally thought cylinder 4 ignition coil, and test by swapping with cylinder 2. The code then switched to cylinder 2....so how is it that the cylinder head is the problem? Again, I'm not a mechanic, but that doesn't make sense to me.
A second opinion is always good. Once you have it, let them fix it. I wouldn’t limp around in a misfiring Jeep... wouldn’t hurt it, I just would be unhappy doing it.

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S

Did you ever get the diagnosis and engine fixed? Was it the rocker arm issue?

OP
OP

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Did you ever get the diagnosis and engine fixed? Was it the rocker arm issue?
Yes, replacing the rocker arms solved the problem. The mechanic afterwards told me that he would normally want to replace all of them while he was in there, but the warranty only paid for two. Given the choice, I probably would have ponied up the cash to replace them all, while it was open.

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Yes, replacing the rocker arms solved the problem. The mechanic afterwards told me that he would normally want to replace all of them while he was in there, but the warranty only paid for two. Given the choice, I probably would have ponied up the cash to replace them all, while it was open.
Thanks! I'm having some similar issues here, I'm just going to triple-confirm with the mechanic that he checked the rocker arms.