transmission and CEL issues

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Just had AEV dual sport lift for the JLUR Ecodiesel installed along with winch, wheels and tires. Drove fine most of the way home but going uphill I noticed it felt weird and bucked a little in 5th and 6th gears. I thought maybe it was just me. Next day it drove fine down the mountain and around town but on the way back home going uphill it happened again and this time the CEL popped up.
I went straight to OReilleys and scanned for codes. P0087 (fuel rail pressure too low) and P047D (exhaust pressure sensor B circuit high). I called the shop that did the work and they want me to bring it in ASAP to go over and figure this out. They think maybe it has something to do with the Procal Snap speedometer programmer but they aren’t sure.
I sure hope it’s something easy and quick. I would hate for the shop to say “looks all good on our end” and then if I have to bring to dealership they are going to blame the shop!
Any ideas? It loooks awesome now but I’m so bummed because I’m afraid to drive it like this. Never had an issue before this and almost 7000 miles now…..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
So, went back to the shop so they could check over everything and fix the problem. Unfortunately they said nothing they did would cause this and after resetting the CEL it came back. So they sent me to the local dealership, who took me in and did a quick scan and test drive and then told me everything is up to date so they'll need me to drop it off on Thursday to investigate.
Half way home, all hell broke loose! Went into limp mode on the highway, flashing ESS and Start/Stop service needed and would only go 30mph. Stopping and restarting did nothing, so I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for a couple minutes and that made it restart normally. Was able to drive to town, where it went back into limp mode. It's now sitting at my office waiting to get towed to the dealership.
I'm heart broken. I spent over $60k just 2 months ago and drove almost 7000 trouble free miles. Then I spent over $10K to get lift, winch, skids, tailgate reinforcement, wheel and tires.... and now the Jeep is completely un-drivable! I'm beyond frustrated but I'm really hoping the shop figures it out and fixes it for me. They sure seem like they know their stuff and their customer service is top notch so far, so I'm feeling like I'm in good hands.
I can only deduce that the shop somehow, inadvertently did something that is causing these issues. I'm not blaming anyone, shit happens and electrical stuff is very complex.... but it sucks to have a $70K+ Jeep that I can't even use........

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A coincidental failure after suspension work does mean the shop did anything wrong, nor that the lift had anything at all to do with the problem. Something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I’m not blaming anyone but I’m not happy, which is understandable. I feel like everyone is doing everything they can, I’m not pissed at anyone but again I’m frustrated that this is happening. I’m definitely kicking myself for going with the diesel ;(

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Check the aux battery. If it’s bad it causes all kinds of weird things to happen and CEL lights to pop up. It powers the start/stop. I’d bet it’s gone bad. Just from everything I’ve read on this and other forums.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
You said 5th and 6th. Is this a manual? If so, do you have a programmer? I have a Tazer and I needed to go through a calibration process when I increased tire size. This is the only way I can see the work being related to your issues. As mentioned, it could be unrelated. My purge sensor went out after swapping wheels. Total coincidence, drove me nuts.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
It’s automatic, but it shows what gear its in which is nice. I was hoping it would just be a cycle thing, drive it and it resets itself. However it has just gotten worse and is now underivable and being towed later today. I'm so bummed out but hopeful the tech I spoke with will fix it all up ....he's a diesel tech and mostly works on Cummins and the Ram 1500 eco diesel, so that makes me feel better than some random entry level tech at most dealerships.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Just had AEV dual sport lift for the JLUR Ecodiesel installed along with winch, wheels and tires. Drove fine most of the way home but going uphill I noticed it felt weird and bucked a little in 5th and 6th gears. I thought maybe it was just me. Next day it drove fine down the mountain and around town but on the way back home going uphill it happened again and this time the CEL popped up.
I went straight to OReilleys and scanned for codes. P0087 (fuel rail pressure too low) and P047D (exhaust pressure sensor B circuit high). I called the shop that did the work and they want me to bring it in ASAP to go over and figure this out. They think maybe it has something to do with the Procal Snap speedometer programmer but they aren’t sure.
I sure hope it’s something easy and quick. I would hate for the shop to say “looks all good on our end” and then if I have to bring to dealership they are going to blame the shop!
Any ideas? It loooks awesome now but I’m so bummed because I’m afraid to drive it like this. Never had an issue before this and almost 7000 miles now…..
Check the exhaust back pressure sensor, you will need to pull it out and check to see if its clogged.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Check the exhaust back pressure sensor, you will need to pull it out and check to see if its clogged.
One of the codes I got at first was exhaust pressure something. I’ll mention to the shop who’s looking at it tomorrow

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Jeep Wrangler JL transmission and CEL issues 5FA006DB-6162-457F-8391-8168860F28AA
loaded onto the tow truck and on the way to dealership. Starts and runs fine but something is definitely wrong……. I hope they figure it out quickly and maybe, if I’m really lucky, I’ll get to take wheelin this weekend 🙏🏽

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Jeep Wrangler JL transmission and CEL issues 5FA006DB-6162-457F-8391-8168860F28AA
loaded onto the tow truck and on the way to dealership. Starts and runs fine but something is definitely wrong……. I hope they figure it out quickly and maybe, if I’m really lucky, I’ll get to take wheelin this weekend 🙏🏽

Best of luck getting it properly repaired quickly! That said, I would probably drive it a week or so before venturing too far off road...Trust the dealer service if they tell you it's fixed-but verify!

I do not have a diesel (3.6 non etorque auto) but on the second day of ownership my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and displayed a message to 'safely pull over and stop as engine will soon shut down'. Happened twice, first time near my office-stopped, took a quick look and restarted and everything seemed normal. Second time was on the freeway heading home that Sunday afternoon, luckily was near a dealership right off the freeway so made it there and left it in the service drive with a note and keyfob in their drop box. They found a loose ground painted over at the ESS relay, fixed it and gave it back. That was over a year and a half ago and been trouble free since...However I did not trust it enough to go off road for a few weeks...

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
After two days at the dealership I spoke with the shop and they said it’s a complex electrical issue where for some reason power is being cut to fuel system, causing the symptoms. They haven’t been able to find out why this is happening and are getting Jeep engineers involved on Monday to help troubleshoot and fix.
So, this confirms my thought that (most likely) this is probably a damaged wire harness or ground somewhere and most likely happened while the lift or winch was installed at the 4x4 shop. That’s just my guess right now and I really hope they find the issue and fix it for me next week. He told me “we will get to the bottom of this for you” so I’m optimistic I’ll get my beautiful JLURD back for some wheelin next weekend!

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I spoke with the service manager this morning and he said they think they've found the section of wire where the problem is...... they have a "picture" sent to Jeep engineers and are waiting for them to confirm and should know later today. Encouraging news, finally. This shop has nothing but rave reviews so I'm glad they are on it. I'm really no closer yet but I'm feeling a little more optimistic that they can identify and fix the issue so I can have my baby back. I started looking around for a new Jeep yesterday, just in case this one ends up getting bought back, and there are hardly any JLURD's anywhere to be found, much less in my Sarge Green color with Sky One touch, leather seats, steel bumpers, etc, etc..... I loved how mine drives and looks and just want it fixed!!!!!

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Spoke with my service manager and they found the problem. Some kind of short in the fuel system that fried the PCM or something...... the part came in today and they're going to dig in this afternoon and tomorrow and hopefully have it ready to pickup tomorrow afternoon!
I'm so happy this seems like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Sponsored