2018 JL 38000 Miles Flashing CEL Misfire

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Again I understand it’s not JL specific but if you find a good dealer it can lead them In the right direction. Odd thing about the problem described here is the gladiator guys only get random misfire codes and no horrible noise. My point is while yes normally you would expect horrible noise, with these ever advanced computer controlled vvt motors it may just be slightly off.

With the op having this popping up multiple times I would really want to see the cam and or lifter. Add to that a dealer already replaced that head and all plugs on that head were fouled.
Because the batch of camshafts identified in that specific tsb were supplied only to the gladiator lines and for a specific date range, years after the OP’s Jeep was built. The cams themselves were out of specification.
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Because the batch of camshafts identified in that specific tsb were supplied only to the gladiator lines and for a specific date range, years after the OP’s Jeep was built. The cams themselves were out of specification.
I am not disagreeing with you about the OPs Jeep being out of range, but the question comes when did he have the head replaced and did the dealer use an assembled head. I find it hard to believe that all the bad cams in a 12 month span only ended up in gladiator 3.6 motors.

Really not trying to argue here just trying to think somewhat outside the box as dealers don’t seem to do that anymore.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have a open case with @JeepCares in regards to my 2018 JL VIN: 1C4GJXAG2JW289543.

Around 3000-4000 rpm randomly Ill get a major misfire with a flashing CEL. Feels like it could be a fuel issue?

Head was replaced last year around this time.

Dealer said they weren't able to pull any code? But I was able to drive a service rep and get the issue to present itself. This is the 4th time its been in the dealer for the same issue.

Apparently my case was closed and Jeep Cares just reopened it. It has now been escalated.

Case #: 81925497
Do you have the 2.0? This could be a carbon buildup issue.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I am not disagreeing with you about the OPs Jeep being out of range, but the question comes when did he have the head replaced and did the dealer use an assembled head. I find it hard to believe that all the bad cams in a 12 month span only ended up in gladiator 3.6 motors.

Really not trying to argue here just trying to think somewhat outside the box as dealers don’t seem to do that anymore.
Critical engine parts like that are tracked very closely. They would very likely have reused his camshafts unless damaged.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Cylinder 6 misfire. No.
I have seen brand new spark plugs cause misfires...would try replacing that again and see what happens.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I have seen brand new spark plugs cause misfires...would try replacing that again and see what happens.
Absolutely worth pulling and checking it, but the problem is that replacing a single plug on the left side is a major pain in the ass that most people aren’t willing or able to do.

It would be nice to have firsthand evidence though. If all spark plugs are very sooty, then there is something wrong with fuel trims.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update! Misfire is BACK! Again. After paying 600 bucks for new plugs as well. This time I pulled the code myself. @JeepCares?

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG
Thanks for tagging us. If you plan to return to the dealer for additional diagnosis and repair, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Peck1234

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
They ended up replacing the ignition coil in cylinder 6. 🤟

Sponsored

botlfed98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
i'm sitting at dealer myself P0306 cylinder 6 misfire, 2019 w/44k miles...stay tuned

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
i'm sitting at dealer myself P0306 cylinder 6 misfire, 2019 w/44k miles...stay tuned
If you need any support while your Jeep is in for service, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

botlfed98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
If you need any support while your Jeep is in for service, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
guess i need emotional support after having to spend $1100 due to a bad spark plug that my CPO warranty was useless...very disappointed having this issue @ 40k miles

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
guess i need emotional support after having to spend $1100 due to a bad spark plug that my CPO warranty was useless...very disappointed having this issue @ 40k miles
What year model? Factory warranty on spark plugs is 5 years 60k miles.