Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

During my last wheeling trip I had the front passenger wheel bearing fail. After it failed it also shredded the wheel speed sensor. I've replaced both the wheel bearing and the sensor with the following parts:

68394210AD front wheel speed sensor
68272624AC front hub assembly

All of the previous error codes I was getting have been resolved. I had service the 4wd system, 4wd unavailable, ABS, and traction control unavailable. After starting the Jeep all the codes went away, it was able to shift into 4wd again and life was great. Then after sitting for a few days in the driveway I started it up and got and engine light. The Jeep wouldn't let me shift into reverse and a message saying put vehicle in park then select gear. That didn't work.

I used my JLTazer to read the error codes and clear the CELs. I was getting a U0418 & U140A error code. I drove the Jeep around with no issues for a little while. I'm wondering if the wheel speed sensor is bad. I checked a couple different websites for the mopar part number and some sites say that this part has been discontinued and replaced, but I'm getting conflicting info.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ray
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Make sure it is plugged in.

What do the codes mean, in words?

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure it is plugged in.

What do the codes mean, in words?
This is what I found...

U0418Definition:Invalid Data Received From Brake System Control ModuleDescription:This DTC indicates a communication issue has occurred between the Sending control module (Antilock Brake System (ABS) Module) and the Reporting control module(s) that set this fault.Cause:
  • ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE DTCS PRESENT
  • BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) DTCS PRESENT
  • ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE
  • FORWARD FACING CAMERA MODULE (FFCM)
Code:U140ADefinition:Implausible Right Front Wheel Speed Signal ReceivedDescription:The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects an implausible wheel speed signal over the CAN bus from the Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) Module.Cause:
  • WHEEL SPEED SENSOR WIRING ISSUE
  • WHEEL SPEED SENSOR
  • ANTI-LOCK BRAKE (ABS) MODULE

Deezus

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I had the u0418 and the u1409 turned out to be a broken wire at my left front driver side ABS sensor.

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I had the u0418 and the u1409 turned out to be a broken wire at my left front driver side ABS sensor.
Mine was the same. Plug on the harness had become unpinned.

it’s doing again after a wheeling trip this past weekend. Plug doesn’t seem to have an issue this time but it’s confusing that the code specifics right side in particular but it’s the left sides harness.

NOW it’s acting all sorts of crazy. It’s arming itself (red lights blinking after locking) and if I don’t open the doors back up the alarm goes nuts. Lot of clicking etc when I turn the motor off at the fuses.

NOW - I did have my aux battery go bad a while back. It fried my main in the process. I pulled the fuse for the aux. battery circuit and disconnected the negative terminal heading down to the aux. Replaced the main battery and no issues sense.

I bring that up because it’s similar to what it’s doing here in a lot of ways. Ridiculous how these tiny wires and poorly pinned plugs can leave you stranded.

And as we all know, the dealership would never figure anything out so I’m skipping that.

Sponsored

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
All of the previous error codes I was getting have been resolved. I had service the 4wd system, 4wd unavailable, ABS, and traction control unavailable. After starting the Jeep all the codes went away, it was able to shift into 4wd again and life was great. Then after sitting for a few days in the driveway I started it up and got and engine light.
If it isn't the wheel speed sensor as the others have suggested, I'd replace the green can bus connection block behind the glove box. I had multiple warnings and lights on the dash and occasionally power steering would go out. $12 on ebay for the part, and 10 minutes to replace, and the Jeep has gone over a week and about 700 miles without issue now (it was throwing up the warnings multiple times each time we drove it).

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Mine was the same. Plug on the harness had become unpinned.

it’s doing again after a wheeling trip this past weekend. Plug doesn’t seem to have an issue this time but it’s confusing that the code specifics right side in particular but it’s the left sides harness.

NOW it’s acting all sorts of crazy. It’s arming itself (red lights blinking after locking) and if I don’t open the doors back up the alarm goes nuts. Lot of clicking etc when I turn the motor off at the fuses.

NOW - I did have my aux battery go bad a while back. It fried my main in the process. I pulled the fuse for the aux. battery circuit and disconnected the negative terminal heading down to the aux. Replaced the main battery and no issues sense.

I bring that up because it’s similar to what it’s doing here in a lot of ways. Ridiculous how these tiny wires and poorly pinned plugs can leave you stranded.

And as we all know, the dealership would never figure anything out so I’m skipping that.
UPDATE:

Well, I am still driving a 2wd Rubicon. Super frustrating. The harness was definitely the problem. But the splices never held. So I got a new with fresh wire and not it’s connected cleanly.

AND still getting the same U0418 and U140a as before.

I’m going to replace the front sensors and if that doesn’t work see about getting a replacement harness for the front driver.

Any advice from those that have had this exact issue is greatly appreciate. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Another update for those following this thread.

I purchased some take off wheel speed sensors that had the section of the harness that goes from the sensor harness itself up to the module.

They ended up being for NON rubicon as the rubicon has the locker wire running through that same harness and into the same plug and these didn’t.

But I did cut out the section of wire that matched up with the ends that broke and used the “new” plug. So the broken harness wire that caused it all is 100% repaired.

Still getting U140a and U0418 codes smh.

I’m going to replace sensors on both sides tomorrow hopefully tomorrow and see if that resolves it.

it’s ridiculous how easy it is to lock these dang things out of 4wd. And forget about a dealership being able to troubleshoot electronics to perform a warranty repair on it.

If this doesn't get it fixed I may be trading this one in. 🤣🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
At this point you’re just being stubbornly idiotic not taking it to the dealer.

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
At this point you’re just being stubbornly idiotic not taking it to the dealer.
If you lived here, with the dealer we have, you would understand.

Eh. With the type of comment you just made - you probably won’t understand. Best of luck to you and your attitude. 👍🏻👌🏼👊🏼

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

Eh. With the type of comment you just made - you probably won’t understand. Best of luck to you and your attitude. 👍🏻👌🏼👊🏼
You’re firing the parts cannon with no testing and having no luck. What’s next? Abs module? How about breaking out an oscilloscope and actually checking signal?

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
You’re firing the parts cannon with no testing and having no luck. What’s next? Abs module? How about breaking out an oscilloscope and actually checking signal?
Why are you being such an ass?

rvbuilder70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 keep Saha

Take it to your dealership as long as you got your extended insurance like we did, it goes all the way up to 100,000 miles, but what we found out is the front wiring harness was sitting on the engine somewhere, causing everything to short out on our 2018 Sahara, we had our ABS module reprogrammed. We had all kinds of stuff done to it. Almost 6 months worth of work I would 100% get it checked out today is the first day January 2, 2024 that we got our vehicle back after almost 6 months, so good luck with your issue start throwing fits on Jeep forums and on Facebook and on Twitter to Get somebody to pay attention. That’s exactly what I did.
Sponsored