Jl guy

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jlu Sahara
No.

Does Tazer work fine with the new sensor? Z Automotive support is excellent, in case you’re still having an issue.
I actually returned the tazer because I had no idea what happened to the Jeep. I thought that the tazer had a malfunction which caused the codes to pop up but after research and taking it to the dealer they indeed found it to be a bad wheel speed sensor. Unfortunately the tazer was returned but doesn’t mean I wouldn’t purchase it again. I was just a little skeptical about this product after my Jeep experiencing a fluke thing.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I just got a taser mini. Mainly wanted it for tpms, ess, and nav in motion.
I got the error code after the initial start up after install (when the engine shut down about a second after starting).
I cycled the power off and cleared the code and it seems okay now. I just assumed it was due to having to unplug the harness for install. Anyone have recurring issues with this code or enginme shutting off? This is the first tuner I've ever bought because they make me nervous. I went for it because I figured it wasn't changing anything important for how I'm using it (tpms is non-critical and ess/nav are just a matter of on/off).
I don't want to have issues for these minor frills and Im sure I can return it to quadratec if I don't take too long. So the question is, is that a one time thing resulting from the initial install/unplug or will this happen again from time to time?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I got the error code after the initial start up after install (when the engine shut down about a second after starting).
I cycled the power off and cleared the code and it seems okay now. I just assumed it was due to having to unplug the harness for install. Anyone have recurring issues with this code or enginme shutting off? This is the first tuner I've ever bought because they make me nervous. I went for it because I figured it wasn't changing anything important for how I'm using it (tpms is non-critical and ess/nav are just a matter of on/off).
I don't want to have issues for these minor frills and Im sure I can return it to quadratec if I don't take too long. So the question is, is that a one time thing resulting from the initial install/unplug or will this happen again from time to time?
Reread the instructions. An initial stall is not unexpected. I’ve been running the original two piece Tazer since 6/2018. It’s a great programmer (it’s not a tuner).

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the reply, and yes I read the instructions. Twice actually. Once when I was looking to buy it, and then again a few weeks later when I got it. Obviously they said nothing about an initial stall, but would they publish that? Maybe, maybe not. If you watch Quadratec's video he has the same code (seen about 5 min in), and he notes that it was due to unplugging it. That's why I though it may be normal.
I saw this tread where other people had the same experience and they made it sound like it wasn't normal. My main concern isn't that it did it initially. I wanted to find out if it's something that happens repeatedly.

So you're saying it shouldn't have occurred in the first place, and shouldn't happen again. Interesting, and good to know. I wonder why some people get it and some don't.

U0168.jpg

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Thanks for the reply, and yes I read the instructions. Twice actually. Once when I was looking to buy it, and then again a few weeks later when I got it. Obviously they said nothing about an initial stall, but would they publish that? Maybe, maybe not. If you watch Quadratec's video he has the same code (seen about 5 min in), and he notes that it was due to unplugging it. That's why I though it may be normal.
I saw this tread where other people had the same experience and they made it sound like it wasn't normal. My main concern isn't that it did it initially. I wanted to find out if it's something that happens repeatedly.

So you're saying it shouldn't have occurred in the first place, and shouldn't happen again. Interesting, and good to know. I wonder why some people get it and some don't.

Jeep Wrangler JL Error codes - Tazer related? U0168
I installed my tazer mini last week in a parking lot a ways from home. I experienced the same issue with stall on initial startup, restarted and all was good. Had me worried for a sec! Not sure if both codes poped up I just cleared them right away.

I'll report back if any more starting issues occur. Loving the tazer by the way it's always fun to having new features to play with!

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

U0168.jpg
It looks like they removed the verbiage about initial stall... it just so happens, though, that I copied and pasted the "full reboot" procedure from the original instrutcion manual into my Notes app; here's what it used to say:

Full Reboot: Once complete, turn the ignition off, then start the vehicle. It may start and stall with the red security dot lit. If this happens, wait 10 seconds and try again, it will resume operation when it has completed its re-learn procedure. Then two sleep cycles: Shut off the vehicle, open and close the driver door and wait for a minute to be sure the dash turns off. Then start it, wait for the radio to boot up, then shut it off and open/close door and wait again.
@joe@zauto - why was this line removed from the manual? It was useful info.

I'm not sure if you guys have upgraded to the latest firmware, but I have 11.2.5 and do not get any codes thrown on my 2018. Just last week I unmarried and removed it so that I could get a TSB applied, and upon re-install I followed the procedure that I pasted above. Note that I have an original two piece Tazer, not the mini.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the reply with the old instructions. That is very helpful, and reassuring.
I wonder if they took it out after having done an update that potentially prevented that? I don't know but I'm a lot less concerned now. Not only is it not uncommon, but they used to even warn you about it.
FWIW, I installed the latest version for firmware before installing it, so I shouldn't have any surprises.

You guys are great. Thanks!!

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I have a 2018 jeep jlu Sahara and I had problems with my taser jl. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. I bought a tazer jl lite and installed it in my Jeep. I followed all the steps in the instructions but what I didn’t know was that the tazer was married to another vehicle before mine. When I was going through the menus I accidentally pushed full reboot and I got a service 4wd light, service electric stability control, and a abs malfunction. I took out my tazer and used a scan tool to find the code implausible data from wheel speed sensor. I sent my tazer jl to z-automotive got it back properly married it and no luck. I tried everything. I’m just confused on why this happened to my jl. Was there a problem before that wasn’t recognized by the security gateway module or did the tazer jl cause a fault in the computer. I had tried to clear these codes but they are hard codes that wouldn’t clear. I took it to my dealer and they said it was a wheel speed sensor. I know some people have had problems with their wheelspeed sensors but it seems pretty ironic that the peedsensor went bad when I rebooted the jl system. Anyissues like this?
Curious if others are seeing these issues as well?

With a Tazer JL Mini on firmware 11.2.8 with a '21 4xe Rubicon, I have seen wheel speed sensor errors and the U0168 also noted above.

ZAuto has given multiple steps to resolve, none of which have been successful. The codes clear just fine using the Tazer JL and reappear ONLY when doing a Tazer Full Reboot.

The latest message from ZAuto makes it seem as if this is "expected" and can be ignored, however there has not been explicit confirmation of this.

Does everyone get CEL codes on newer JLs (including wheel speed sensors and U0168) when executing a full reboot with the Tazer (and you just clear after each full reboot?), or are these indicative of an actual issue?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Curious if others are seeing these issues as well?

With a Tazer JL Mini on firmware 11.2.8 with a '21 4xe Rubicon, I have seen wheel speed sensor errors and the U0168 also noted above.

ZAuto has given multiple steps to resolve, none of which have been successful. The codes clear just fine using the Tazer JL and reappear ONLY when doing a Tazer Full Reboot.

The latest message from ZAuto makes it seem as if this is "expected" and can be ignored, however there has not been explicit confirmation of this.

Does everyone get CEL codes on newer JLs (including wheel speed sensors and U0168) when executing a full reboot with the Tazer (and you just clear after each full reboot?), or are these indicative of an actual issue?
ZAuto confirmed today that there is an issue with Tazer JL up to and including at least firmware version 11.2.8, specific to the 4xe.

Tazer will cause 5 CEL codes to be thrown on 4xes after a full Tazer reboot.

Their recommendation is to clear these CELs, while they work on a permanent fix - they mentioned coding in an automatic CEL clear after their reboot :/

I’m not crazy about the issue OR the fix (clearing CELs is a band-aid; stopping the CELs from being triggered would be a real fix).

Wanted to share the info in case others have been chasing this as I have.

Sponsored

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I think my answer was a little misunderstood. It’s not an issue. It’s a function of how the 4XE works, and this is specific ONLY to the 4XE. In order for the ABS system to accept any changes it needs to be re-initialized (which happens during the full reboot on 4XE) and that sets several codes. Same as if the dealer used their tool to initialize. Then you clear codes. Same as the dealer would.
My thought is to combine the code clearing into the full reboot process so it’s transparent to the end user. I’ll likely do this in a future release. Again, these codes aren’t a failure of the Tazer or any other system, it’s a normal part of the ABS initialization process on the 4XE.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
ZAuto confirmed today that there is an issue with Tazer JL up to and including at least firmware version 11.2.8, specific to the 4xe.

Tazer will cause 5 CEL codes to be thrown on 4xes after a full Tazer reboot.

Their recommendation is to clear these CELs, while they work on a permanent fix - they mentioned coding in an automatic CEL clear after their reboot :/

I’m not crazy about the issue OR the fix (clearing CELs is a band-aid; stopping the CELs from being triggered would be a real fix).

Wanted to share the info in case others have been chasing this as I have.
Sometimes to many ingredients in the pot make for an unpleasant dinner, and in the case of the Tazer the more bells and whistles that get added the more problems can pop up and then add in they have to make it work with all sorts of various Wrangler models just adds to to many ingredients.

The Tazer is well known and used by a lot with great success but for me I like simple and JSCAN although not as fine tuned has worked 100% and I have made changes over and over just testing and I have never had any error codes generated but I’m sure Zauto will get it worked out.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
But it’s not broken…
Same initialization procedure needs to be done no matter what tuner you use. This will set codes. You clear them. That’s how it works.
dealer tool, Tazer, ecri, jscan, etc all will have the same steps on the 4XE, assuming their code includes the right functions.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
But it’s not broken…
Same initialization procedure needs to be done no matter what tuner you use. This will set codes. You clear them. That’s how it works.
dealer tool, Tazer, ecri, jscan, etc all will have the same steps on the 4XE, assuming their code includes the right functions.
One thing that might help is an entry in the 11.2.8 notes info that indicates this, and spreading the info to the ZAuto team so they are aware in case customers reach out.

Might be good to specify exactly which DTC codes are displayed as well, to build confidence.

Lastly, explaining the steps/procedure to identify if there are any *legitimate* CELs thrown would help with consumer confidence.

I frankly started wondering if I had just messed something up on my brand new 4xe. The sweat really starts coming after about the 5th reboot/remarry/battery pull/fuse pull/etc. procedure that the device manufacturer support team is asking you to do, because the codes keep coming. You start thinking that maybe the group helping you troubleshoot might also be stumped - and maybe you fried your new vehicle.

This one is as much PR/marketing/consumer confidence as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.