First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Little over a month ago, I replaced the battery in my 2018 2.0t Rubicon at around 22k miles. Bout a week later I got the well documented post-battery replacement P0456 CEL. When this occurred, I also got an email from Jeep Service notifying me of the malfunction light. I cleared the code with a Tazer and it has not come back on.

However, since then I've received that same email from Jeep Service two additional times, including this morning, despite the fact that no CEL has popped up on the Jeep. It does not appear to be a reminder, but an alert of a new CEL.

Anyone experience something like this or have an explanation? Does the Tazer just somehow physically prevent the CEL from displaying even though the system in general is saying there is a problem? Or is the Tazer now somehow preventing all CELs from displaying?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DHW

I take issue with this comment .... "well documented post-battery replacement P0456 CEL".
It is not well documented...

Yes, this P0456 or P0452 has been mentioned/posted about, but.. it is not a given/not one is for sure if the codes actually really had anything to do with the Aux battery change.

I can tell you that I have done a few Aux battery changes (more then 6) on various JL's and on none was there a P0456 or PO452 thrown afterwards...

By the way, two weeks ago my 2018 JL threw a P0452 (I have not replaced the Aux battery on it) and I cleared the code. It stayed cleared but two days late,r I got an email saying check engine light on my JL, I checked the JL and no check engine light... a day later I got another email ... I rechecked and no check engine light... what the fruck...

Well 2 days after that, I started the JL and there was a check engine light.

I read the code (P0452) and cleared it.

Checked the fuel filler cap on my 2018 and it had a gasket that was severely depressed and the cap also felt like it was mechanically not right/was going to fall apart.

Anyway, I cleaned the area on the fill pipe that the gasket rests against and replaced the fuel filler cap. That as about 600 mi.+ ago... a couple of weeks ago and on more codes or emails.

No, I am presently not running a Tazer JL but I am quite Tazer JL savvy. Can tell you the Tazer JL does not do any of the things you suggest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
@DHW
Yes, this P0456 or P0452 has been mentioned/posted about, but.. it is not a given/not one is for sure if the codes actually really had anything to do with the Aux battery change.

I can tell you that I have done a few Aux battery changes (more then 6) on various JL's and on none was there a P0456 or PO452 thrown afterwards...
Guess I should clarify, I have the eTorque so I don't have the under hood Aux battery, just the 48v one under the Jeep. Only one under hood is the standard car battery, which is what I replaced. But good to know the Tazer doesn't do any of the things I asked about.

So when you clear a code with a Tazer it's just a one time deal? It doesn't leave something there that prevents it from coming back?

Also, I checked the gas cap multiple times and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess I should clarify, I have the eTorque so I don't have the under hood Aux battery, just the 48v one under the Jeep. Only one under hood is the standard car battery, which is what I replaced. But good to know the Tazer doesn't do any of the things I asked about.

So when you clear a code with a Tazer it's just a one time deal? It doesn't leave something there that prevents it from coming back?

Also, I checked the gas cap multiple times and there was nothing out of the ordinary.
@DHW

When you clear the code with a Tazer JL or any Scanner tool it is a one time only deed... and no, the Tazer JL has no control/does not "leave something" that prevents that code from being thrown again.

As for the fuel filler cap.... IF a vehicle keeps throwing a P0452 or P0456 most Techs will tell you to clear the code... clean the filler neck opening with WD40 and to replace the fuel filler cap.

IF the code keeps occurring they will tell you to trouble shoot from there. Fuel filler cap loose or faulty is the number one reason for the P0452 or P0456 code.

SO, even if your JL's fuel filler cap looks aok.... as your first step.. if you are having repeated code.. is clean the filler neck opening replace the fuel filler cap. Buy cap- 68484447AA Mopar.

Note: IF the tether on you old cap is longer then tether on the new cap, switch the tether from the old to the new cap. (Easy)

Reactions: DHW
OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
@DHW
As for the fuel filler cap.... IF a vehicle keeps throwing a P0452 or P0456 most Techs will tell you to clear the code... clean the filler neck opening with WD40 and to replace the fuel filler cap.
Preciate the info. And I guess that's the heart of my question, is that I didn't know if the Jeep was still throwing codes. Like I said nothing is showing on the Jeep itself, but it seems something is being transmitted to the Jeep overlords weeks later telling them malfunction lights are coming on. But it sounds like you had a similar experience so maybe its just something with Jeep Service.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Preciate the info. And I guess that's the heart of my question, is that I didn't know if the Jeep was still throwing codes. Like I said nothing is showing on the Jeep itself, but it seems something is being transmitted to the Jeep overlords weeks later telling them malfunction lights are coming on. But it sounds like you had a similar experience so maybe its just something with Jeep Service.
@DHW

Yes, the scenario is a little disconcerting.

IF your JL is not actually throwing a code .... do disregard the email(s) .

Last edited:
Reactions: DHW

jeepnurse_jl

First Name
Tabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Little over a month ago, I replaced the battery in my 2018 2.0t Rubicon at around 22k miles. Bout a week later I got the well documented post-battery replacement P0456 CEL. When this occurred, I also got an email from Jeep Service notifying me of the malfunction light. I cleared the code with a Tazer and it has not come back on.

However, since then I've received that same email from Jeep Service two additional times, including this morning, despite the fact that no CEL has popped up on the Jeep. It does not appear to be a reminder, but an alert of a new CEL.

Anyone experience something like this or have an explanation? Does the Tazer just somehow physically prevent the CEL from displaying even though the system in general is saying there is a problem? Or is the Tazer now somehow preventing all CELs from displaying?
How were you able to resolve this? I replaced the main battery in my 2.0 etorque and about a week later the CEL came on throwing P0456. We've already tried tightening the gas cap. I was searching for what to try next and found your post. I was already wondering if it had anything to do with replacing that battery.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
How were you able to resolve this? I replaced the main battery in my 2.0 etorque and about a week later the CEL came on throwing P0456. We've already tried tightening the gas cap. I was searching for what to try next and found your post. I was already wondering if it had anything to do with replacing that battery.
Technically yes, it is resolved, but I'm afraid I can't offer much insight. I cleared the code with my Tazer and it hasn't popped up again since. Wish I could be more help.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLUS 2.0 etourque here, replaced my main battery about 6months ago only was getting aux switch warning on dash, never a code. Never got any codes at all from battery.

I have got many codes in the past, I would clear them with the tazer and they would be clear until it threw the next. In fact, when I was at the dealer they said they could see previous codes that had thrown, but there was no current codes open they could work with. Next time I threw the code, un married the tazer and drove it in, The saw the code and found a bad sensor that needed replaced. I had already replaced my gas cap with a Mopar Keyed one that I keyed myself so I new that was not the issue.
Sponsored