First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So...I have an Ecodiesel issue with active regens. You all know how it's SUPPOSTED to work: The PDF% gradually goes up one percentage point at a time. PDF fill grows from 8% to 80% and, subsequently, triggers an active regen. DPF% reduces back down to 8%. Repeat. In my case about every 150 miles (I'm a short-tripper).

Currently:
  • Starting at 8% the DPF% grows to 80% just like before -but erratically.
  • The percentage, instead of increasing one percentage point at a time, jumps up/down by as many as twenty percentage points at a time.
  • Also...the regen happens every 50 miles.
This is EXACTLY what is happening to mine: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/strange-dpf-loading-behavior-with-more-frequent-regens.68714/ [Post #43 shows that the OP hasn't posted an update.]

Thoughts? I have a service appointment, but in case they're baffled, I'd like a better understanding of what may be causing this.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Does sound sensor related.

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Do you ever drive on the highway? If not, I'd take a trip up to Sedona for lunch and blow the soot out.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

So...I have an Ecodiesel issue with active regens. You all know how it's SUPPOSTED to work: The PDF% gradually goes up one percentage point at a time. PDF fill grows from 8% to 80% and, subsequently, triggers an active regen. DPF% reduces back down to 8%. Repeat. In my case about every 150 miles (I'm a short-tripper).

Currently:
  • Starting at 8% the DPF% grows to 80% just like before -but erratically.
  • The percentage, instead of increasing one percentage point at a time, jumps up/down by as many as twenty percentage points at a time.
  • Also...the regen happens every 50 miles.
This is EXACTLY what is happening to mine: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/strange-dpf-loading-behavior-with-more-frequent-regens.68714/ [Post #43 shows that the OP hasn't posted an update.]

Thoughts? I have a service appointment, but in case they're baffled, I'd like a better understanding of what may be causing this.
Have not experienced Those symptoms but I will occasionally go up to 100% level instead of the normal 80% and then it'll get stuck there for several 100 miles before it does an active region. Also does very frequent passive regions almost 95%
of the time, thus keeping the level from climbing much slower. All depending on the load. Mind you I refuse to let my dealer do the recall flash. I told them I haven't had any issues any issues and I don't want any. Use extreme dieselFuel treatment and Platinum Blue Def. A few times I reached a 100% was because I interrupted an active region and it took several 100 miles before for Is a active region to start, only passive but never brought the 100% level down until the active region generated.

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Do you ever drive on the highway? If not, I'd take a trip up to Sedona for lunch and blow the soot out.
I tried over a 100 mile long trips to get an active region to start never never seems to work it actually didn't kick into active till I got back to the city almost a mile from the house.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve previously been unsuccessful at passive regens. Plus, I suspect an active regen creates just as much heat as a long trip. But, road-tripping to Sedona still sounds good. :)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I stopped at the local independent shop with the best reputation (Strictly Diesel) to pick their brain - I don't really trust the dealer, but it's still under warranty. Their assessment, sight unseen, is likely the DPF pressure sensor. Gorilla57 may have it right.

On a related note, I plan to roll the dice and leave my Bank's Derringer in place. I can't imagine that its FRP/MAS connection points are even remotely related to this issue. That said, one concern is that they make a note in my record and blame the Derrenger for future issues that are potentially the result of increased boost. I don't mind paying if my mods did the damage, but I don't necessarily want to hand them the stick to beat me with.

I'll post the official diagnosis/fix to help the group knowledge base, and let you know if they get weird regarding the Bank's stuff.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I stopped at the local independent shop with the best reputation (Strictly Diesel) to pick their brain - I don't really trust the dealer, but it's still under warranty. Their assessment, sight unseen, is likely the DPF pressure sensor. Gorilla57 may have it right.

On a related note, I plan to roll the dice and leave my Bank's Derringer in place. I can't imagine that its FRP/MAS connection points are even remotely related to this issue. That said, one concern is that they make a note in my record and blame the Derrenger for future issues that are potentially the result of increased boost. I don't mind paying if my mods did the damage, but I don't necessarily want to hand them the stick to beat me with.

I'll post the official diagnosis/fix to help the group knowledge base, and let you know if they get weird regarding the Bank's stuff.
Thanks for the update, Have the same banks derringer pedal monster set up as you. Think that independent shop and gorilla57 are spot on. Unfortunately sometimes not always it's a no win situation the dealers often know it's an FCA engineering design flaw in other or similar circumstances. But have little or no recourse. By simply exchanging parts will not fix the problem. So you're right if they could see anything added or changed outside the oem, it's easy to point the finger without a proper diagnose. Taking time togather the information that led to the failure.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
My dealer blamed a winch, which was not even attached to the battery, as the cause of my amplifier going bad...best of luck to you Rick!

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

My dealer blamed a winch, which was not even attached to the battery, as the cause of my amplifier going bad...best of luck to you Rick!
As bad as that is and many stories like this, we should blast these dealerships for their lack of service. Hold them accountable.. After all we are loyal to JEEP. (FACT) they make all their money in the service department, not selling cars.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
UPDATE from OP:

The dealer did a forced regen and declared all good - I've yet to confirm that this remedied anything. I removed the Derringer (leaving iDash & Pedal Monster in place) pre-visit but that didn't stop the dealer from blaming the entire issue on the iDash itself. To be clear, they didn't think that the iDash was misreporting regen information, they said it was sending faulty signals back to the Jeep's electronics. [I think their 2nd choice was to blame it on sunspots.]

You can't make this stuff up.

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
When we see this at work on heavy diesel equipment, it's usually a NOX sensor, rarely a Delta P sensor..

This is what it it'll look like for us on a 15 Liter Cummins.. Usually the PPM is wonky and giving false readings.

Jeep Wrangler JL Erratic regen behaviour PXL_20211127_021352068

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
UPDATE from OP:

The dealer did a forced regen and declared all good - I've yet to confirm that this remedied anything. I removed the Derringer (leaving iDash & Pedal Monster in place) pre-visit but that didn't stop the dealer from blaming the entire issue on the iDash itself. To be clear, they didn't think that the iDash was misreporting regen information, they said it was sending faulty signals back to the Jeep's electronics. [I think their 2nd choice was to blame it on sunspots.]

You can't make this stuff up.
FINAL UPDATE: the dealer's forced regen solved my issues.
Sponsored