Epic kraken VS UpDownAir inflation system

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the Kraken and love it. My wife really loves it because she uses it on her inflatable SUP. The manual pump would wear her out lol.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Or something else?
If not, im thinking of getting the arb twin portable with the tank.
The Kraken need an ARB.

> The Kraken looks sick

It does look cool but it's just overpriced hoses with no pressure gauge on the manifold. It depends on the highly inaccurate when static TPMS system. It's great to air up 4 tire simultaneously, but it's sub optimal on non-beadlocks to air down all 4 to exactly the same PSI. The fronts are much more likely to lose a bead. Air release values like my JT Brooks are faster and a better way to air down.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The Kraken need an ARB.

> The Kraken looks sick

It does look cool but it's just overpriced hoses with no pressure gauge on the manifold. It depends on the highly inaccurate when static TPMS system. It's great to air up 4 tire simultaneously, but it's sub optimal on non-beadlocks to air down all 4 to exactly the same PSI. The fronts are much more likely to lose a bead. Air release values like my JT Brooks are faster and a better way to air down.
I'm not sure what airing down has to do with it. The Kraken isn't typically used for that as far as I can tell. I've only used that technique for minor airing down tweaks.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm not sure what airing down has to do with it. The Kraken isn't typically used for that as far as I can tell. I've only used that technique for minor airing down tweaks.
I tested my console values with engine off both air up and air down 2 weeks ago and was surprised they were within 2-3 PSI of actual. Driving 200 yards they only changed slightly. But last weekend they were very inaccurate in air down and froze on air up.

Dans1tj

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022Rubicon
I have the dual ARB and the Kraken system. To anyone debating, I recommend watching Epics video on YouTube. Search Kraken tire and itā€™ll come up. The install was easy and it works great. In my ā€˜01 TJ I used Co2. It worked great but it takes up more space and I felt like I was refilling too often. Iā€™m older now and the Kraken with ARB is super convenient. Last trip I filled my tires, put away my hoses and started talking. I realized that everyone was still airing up so I pulled up along side another jeep and filled the passenger side for him. Then another and then a third. I checked out other systems with the slinky hoses and watched them in action. They consume a good amount of space and tangle on themselves. Just my 2 cents. If you have the money this is going to make you smile every time you use it. I recently ordered their single 25 foot extension so I can help others further away.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Power Tank here.
Love it.
FAST.

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Has anyone tried the Kraken with the ARB Bluetooth Pressure Controller? Even possible?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have the dual ARB and the Kraken system. To anyone debating, I recommend watching Epics video on YouTube.
Obviously they won't show the many failures with the static PSI readings on the dash.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Installed the Kraken. The only item Iā€™ve installed that had decent instructions and was drama-free.
I did the same when they first came out. Pricey yesā€¦ vs. a kluged DIY but Iā€™m loving it. Super convenient, fast, and quality. I never expected to be filling other vehicle tires whether my own or others. So dang quick and easy!

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Whichever route you go, if you live anywhere that it rains, make sure to have an air chuck on the outside of the vehicle. Having to leave your door open when airing up is just dumb when itā€™s pouring down rain.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Whichever route you go, if you live anywhere that it rains, make sure to have an air chuck on the outside of the vehicle. Having to leave your door open when airing up is just dumb when itā€™s pouring down rain.
I live in the PNW. We get rain. You can close the doors to almost shut with the Kraken. Fill all four of your tires and sit inside and watch your PSI on the dash while sipping a coffee or hot chocolate from your thermos. See no issue here.

Oh and for those that have issue with noise in the ā€˜cabinā€™ā€¦ put in your noise canceling AirPods. First world problems.

Dans1tj

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022Rubicon
To add to Dragoneggs list of conveniences, the compressor in the vehicle cabin misses out on being thrown around, getting left in another vehicle or the constant heat dirt and water under the hood. I do not know the team that designed the kit but I would gladly give them my money again to make me the fastest tire filler in the group. ANY group.
Sponsored