Enough power for Colorado?

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Hey guys finalizing my spec. I live in Colorado so is the 3.6 going to be too under-powered at altitude? Assuming I would just get the turbo, but the 3.6 seems more tried and true, so I would prefer that if the power loss isn't going to compromise the vehicle too badly.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hey guys finalizing my spec. I live in Colorado so is the 3.6 going to be too under-powered at altitude? Assuming I would just get the turbo, but the 3.6 seems more tried and true, so I would prefer that if the power loss isn't going to compromise the vehicle too badly.
I don’t understand. They’re both fuel injected and should be fine at altitude. I would have taken either but I’m glad the one on the lot I liked had the 6.

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
I don’t understand. They’re both fuel injected and should be fine at altitude. I would have taken either but I’m glad the one on the lot I liked had the 6.
Naturally aspirated loses about 3% of power for every 1000 feet of elevation. So at 10,000 feet that is a 30% power loss for the 3.6. Just wanted to see if it is too bad for that elevation.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

XLR8TOR

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I head up to the mountains (Breck, Keystone, Vail, etc.) almost every weekend to go snowboarding and I have zero issues. My JL Rubicon has 35” tires and a 2” lift and I can run at 75 or 80 up the mountain passes.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Do you want an auto or manual transmission? If auto, I would go with the 2.0 considering where you live.

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
I second that. If it were me, I would get the 2.0 if you live at altitude. Not that it's a must, I'm sure the 3.6 will be fine. It's just the turbo motor will be better, esp if you plan on bigger tires.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've hauled 1k lbs of gear over 12k foot passes on the trail in Colorado several times. Never even noticed a difference. The 3.6 is fine.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'd go test-drive both engines back to back again and let the seat of your pants decide. Make sure both have the same gearing and are as 'like' as possible. I test drove both engines a couple of days ago again. The turbo's extra torque was nice. The 2.0 was more fun to drive. You are probably a perfect candidate for the 2.0. I think you will appreciate the forced induction up there where the air is thin. I noticed you drive a GT3. I think most sport car enthusiast would prefer the extra oomph and torque of the turbo. It's not a Pcar but it's noticeable.

Last edited:

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have a 3.6 with a 6 speed. No complaints even up in RMNP on Trail Ridge. No issues in the Front Range.

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My 3.6 is 'fine' at altitude. This is a question of taste, of course, so what is fine for one person may not be fine for you. At altitude, the 3.6 is definitely working. If I were ordering new now I would definitely get the turbo, especially if you're planning to add heavy mods like winches, skid plates, etc. I bought mine used and couldn't find any 2.0's yet as they were released later. Note, my previous vehicle had more than 2x the horsepower, a turbo, and half the weight, so I'm missing that feeling.

coneklr

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The 3.6 does ok, I have to downshift (6spd here) but it keeps up just fine. I don't understand how people do 37's without a regear in Colorado though. Im on 35's and any slower and I would be annoyed by it.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've a 6spd v6 in Colorado and it's more than enough to keep up.

Would the turbo be more fun? That's up to you. Test drive both. IMHO

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have had no issues in power all over the state and 15k miles.

In all honesty, I didn't notice a difference in CO at altitude vs when I drove to the east at sea level.

CO does have 85, 87, and I think 91 octane. I'd be curious who is running 85 vs 87 here in CO.
Sponsored