Engine tapping on cold start off fast idle

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Being an old guy, from a time when you bought a product and it was with you forever. Things just are not made to last these days. To me it feels like everything has about a 10 year life, no matter what I have. I will say thing have little to no maintenance come paired to old stuff. Remember changing plugs, wires, points, capacitor every 20K. Belts, hose's every 50K. :)
And grease fittings!
Sponsored

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
Hi this is my first post and unfortunately it’s not a positive one, but here it is.....
I’ve got a 2021 2dr sport with 3.6 and 6 speed and I’m having some engine noise that I would like to find out if is normal or not? When I start the jeep it immediately goes to fast idle for 20-30 seconds and when coming down to normal idle speed I’m getting a tapping/ticking sound for around 5 seconds and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
I also want to add that when driving for the first couple km I can hear the tapping sound until it warms up slightly
Mine does the same thing and it is going in Friday for that and the steering TSB.

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 Door sport
I do like this jl though other than the issue I’m having and appreciate a lot of the new tech and comforts. Only other gripe I have is the lack of throttle response or power under 2000rpm with it being manual I’ve got to keep it in a lower gear to get any acceleration out of it and 5th and 6th gear are essentially useless under 100km/h.

waypoint

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited; 2017 Sport-S Unlimited
Our new '21 Sahara 3.6L E-Torque has made the same noise as the idle speed lowers after startup, and continues to after the first oil change today at 2,981 miles (Valvoline Synth High Mileage 0W-20, MO-349 oil filter). Just a few ticking sounds as the engine RPM comes down and then gone.

I've heard similar sounds on sludged poorly maintained Toyota engines when VVT actuators are unlocked and the oil control valve closes, the vane bounces inside the housing until the lock pin seats. A failed lock pin will create that noise constantly, especially at idle.

Tomorrow I'll whip out my mech stethoscope to find the source and report back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our new '21 Sahara 3.6L E-Torque has made the same noise as the idle speed lowers after startup, and continues to after the first oil change today at 2,981 miles (Valvoline Synth High Mileage 0W-20, MO-349 oil filter). Just a few ticking sounds as the engine RPM comes down and then gone.

I've heard similar sounds on sludged poorly maintained Toyota engines when VVT actuators are unlocked and the oil control valve closes, the vane bounces inside the housing until the lock pin seats. A failed lock pin will create that noise constantly, especially at idle.

Tomorrow I'll whip out my mech stethoscope to find the source and report back.
It could very well be related to vvt, mine seems to be making noise lower in the engine and I think it may be some slight piston slap since it’s happening within a certain rpm range and goes away when warm. The dealership service compared it to a new gladiator and claimed that truck did not make the noise like mine and said that they are not going any further with diagnosing since they would not be able to pinpoint the noise. So they have acknowledged there is a noise and have documented it and told me to bring it back in around 80000km to recheck to see if it has gotten worse. I am not exactly pleased with having to pay for something that bothers me every time I start it but am going to try and live with it for now.

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
Any luck with getting either issue fixed?
Steering was fixed but nothing with it ticking. I will take that small win and fight the ticking battle next time.

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steering was fixed but nothing with it ticking. I will take that small win and fight the ticking battle next time.
That’s good that you got something resolved. I’m in the same boat, will have to eventually get this ticking taken care of or hope that they can atleast give some kind of extended guarantee.

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I solved the issue , I sold the jeep and bought a nice lightly used pickup and a 2004 tj 4.0 that runs beautiful. I really did like the jl but with the engine being questionable and the fact that running a $50k jeep down forest trails and worrying about ruining it probably isn’t the best idea, I went with what I really wanted and that is a tj. So thanks for all the responses take care. Onto the next toy.

Sponsored

waypoint

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited; 2017 Sport-S Unlimited
Update: I noticed mine has stopped making this noise. Weather is colder now, mid-teens Fahrenheit. Jeep has 8K miles and is on its second oil change, now running Valvoline Extended Protection 0W-20 and a Fram Titanium oil filter.

So there are four variables (mileage, ambient temp, oil, filter) that may account for the lack of the ticking noise post cold start as the engine RPMs fall off. Never could find the source of the tick with my stethoscope, too transient.

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
My 2022 wrangler with the 3.6L and 6 speed manual makes this same noise. I noticed it right after I bought it.

MrGreen

First Name
Leonard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon V6
Alright thanks for the reply, I’ve got the jeep going into the dealership next week so hopefully this can get taken care of.

I Have the same sound. They all do that
Sponsored