Sponsored

Electronic Throttle Control light on....then off?

dixie_grl85

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2015 GMC Yukon XL
Ive tried to search the forums to see if anyone else had this issue, but I’m either blind or its a first. When I start her up, everything is fine. Once the screen goes through its Rubicon start up screen, the “Service Electronic Throttle Control” little red lighting pops up for a few seconds, then shuts off. No other service lights or error messages come up. I haven’t noticed any abnormalities while driving (other than the clicking noice when turning, but i figured that one out). I got her in April and she has less than 3k miles on her. Ive made an appointment with the dealer, but they cant get me in until Friday. I’m just curious if anyone else has had this issue and if I should be cautious about driving around town.

Thanks y’all!
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Mine works the same now have 15,000 miles. It has done that since new with 12 miles on it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm resurrecting this particular thread (and not others that describe additional issues) because I'm now starting to experience this myself, except I'm well into 42,000 miles on my 2018. Upon startup, I'll get the message to appear very briefly, then it vanishes. I get no other errors, no CEL, and no stored codes. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is happening more often as of late.

I've checked connections and fuses (most of which were loose, but nothing severe) and everything looks fine.

It doesn't look like either of these posters have returned since this thread, but I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this this far in and if a solution has been found. Other threads have mentioned this problem, but there is no clearly identifiable cause.

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have been looking around the forums for this exact issue. This is my first keep, 2021 jlu rubicon and I don’t know if this is normal or not? When I start the jeep or just in « run » the etc light comes on for 2 second and goes away, right about when the battery voltage climbs past 12.3v

Also, is it normal, when in « run » I hear a chime, the the cel light flashes, chimes again and the cel stays solid? If I start the jeep it goes away...

if anyone can provide some insight..

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I have been looking around the forums for this exact issue. This is my first keep, 2021 jlu rubicon and I don’t know if this is normal or not? When I start the jeep or just in « run » the etc light comes on for 2 second and goes away, right about when the battery voltage climbs past 12.3v

Also, is it normal, when in « run » I hear a chime, the the cel light flashes, chimes again and the cel stays solid? If I start the jeep it goes away...

Don't have any insight on the ETC light, but for the second part, the flashing CEL in "run" is indicating that your vehicle's OBD II system is not ready for testing. One or more emissions monitors are not set. Most Smog Test stations will do this simple ignition actuated test first, and will not proceed with testing if the CEL flashes. You will need to complete a few drive cycles to set the monitors. Full details are on pages 217 & 218 of my 2019 owners manual.
Of course the 2 issues could be related, not sure if the ETC would affect the readiness monitors. I will plug in my scanner and see what is on the monitor list.

So mine has not been driven much lately, also have the flashing CEL in 'Run'. No codes, but 5 incomplete monitors. On the monitors screenshot Green = SET Red = Not SET and Yellow = Not Supported

Jeep Wrangler JL Electronic Throttle Control light on....then off? IMG-2466.PNG
Jeep Wrangler JL Electronic Throttle Control light on....then off? IMG-2467.PNG

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hello @Pgslater
Welcome to the Jeep family! Please know that our team is available to you via private message at anytime. We are happy to offer our additional assistance alongside any future dealer visits, or to discuss vehicle related questions or concerns. If you are currently concerned about the function of your ETC, we recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer for a proper diagnosis.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored