Ecodiesel Reliability?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm wondering if the wider track might actually play a huge role in better towing numbers more than the updated powertrain. Just a few inches alone will definitely improve the handling.
Is it a wider track on all or just the rubicon because of the wider axles?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm wondering if the wider track might actually play a huge role in better towing numbers more than the updated powertrain. Just a few inches alone will definitely improve the handling.
The removal of the 16” option on the rims from the dealer list may also indicate larger stock brakes similar to the Big Brake kit which would also help improve towing capability. This has been a long time coming, and likely should also imorove the braking distance test of reviewers... as long as they don’t test just the KM2s.

imstriker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L
I've got just over 50k on my EcoDiesel in my Grand Cherokee now. Absolutely love it! I mostly drive 2 miles back and forth to work, and only occasionally have had to deal with the regeneration issue. It's amazing on the highway and even better when towing our boat or camper. I'm looking hard at a JL as I had 3 JKs prior to this Grand Cherokee. I probably wouldn't switch without the diesel though. I've gotten pretty used to it.

We have a pretty active forum on the EcoDiesel. You'll get all kinds of opinions but for the most part they have been very reliable after the issues in 2014 with emissions equipment.

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I hope reliability can be improved by deleting the DEF/DPF and also putting on a turbo-back pipe. And I'm praying Jeep doesn't opt for dual-exhaust like they did on the Ram trucks.... Dual exhaust on a Jeep looks :mad:, much less a dual exhaust diesel.....

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I hope reliability can be improved by deleting the DEF/DPF and also putting on a turbo-back pipe. And I'm praying Jeep doesn't opt for dual-exhaust like they did on the Ram trucks.... Dual exhaust on a Jeep looks :mad:, much less a dual exhaust diesel.....
You mean removing DEF/PDF? I know I am going to get hate over this but it sounds like a shitty thing to do. Personally, I'd rather not have a diesel if I had to do that.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've got just over 50k on my EcoDiesel in my Grand Cherokee now. Absolutely love it! I mostly drive 2 miles back and forth to work, and only occasionally have had to deal with the regeneration issue. It's amazing on the highway and even better when towing our boat or camper. I'm looking hard at a JL as I had 3 JKs prior to this Grand Cherokee. I probably wouldn't switch without the diesel though. I've gotten pretty used to it.

We have a pretty active forum on the EcoDiesel. You'll get all kinds of opinions but for the most part they have been very reliable after the issues in 2014 with emissions equipment.
So you mainly drive 2 miles back and forth to work? Cool. That sounds about like my driving situation. How often does the regen kick in?

imstriker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many folks over the WK2 forum love the Green Diesel Hot Tune which changes a lot of things with the DEF/DPF but doesn't delete it completely. I think it allows you to remove it though if you want Mine is not modified and the DPF works fine. I don't have any plans to bypass it.

imstriker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you mainly drive 2 miles back and forth to work? Cool. That sounds about like my driving situation. How often does the regen kick in?
In my case, I've been bit by the regen about 4 times since I've owned it. In those cases, usually a 20 minute or so drive cleans it out. I've been a bad person a couple of times and shut it off anyway. I do tend to drive it a lot on the weekends though, so that's probably where it does most of its passive regens without me knowing. If it sat more during the weekend I'd probably see it a ton more with my short commute.

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
You mean removing DEF/PDF? I know I am going to get hate over this but it sounds like a shitty thing to do. Personally, I'd rather not have a diesel if I had to do that.
To each their own. If I'm going to pay the premium for a diesel, I sure as heck am going to get the most power out of it as possible. And if that involves deleting those, adding an intake, exhaust, and doing a tune, so be it.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
To each their own. If I'm going to pay the premium for a diesel, I sure as heck am going to get the most power out of it as possible. And if that involves deleting those, adding an intake, exhaust, and doing a tune, so be it.
Looking at possibly doing this with the wife's 335D. Just had some carbon buildup, DEF, DPF issues pop up. Options aren't cheap to deal with...with delete and tune being the cheapest of the group but still running close $3k. We've driven it a decent amount...she's had some long trips in it that should have been good about burning through some of the buildup...but...here we are anyway at 72k miles.

As long as you aren't in an emissions inspection area...really no issue.

Intrigued on how the Jeep will do in this area. Will be heading towards the diesel myself...my driving is basically about 8-10 miles to work and back each day. Wondering if it will need to be "exercised" on the highway every few weeks to help clean things out. People having good luck with additives? Anything like that...

Sponsored

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Horsepower, yes. However, without a whole lot of mods and a good tune it quickly generates more HP, and more factory torque than the Pentastar. I don't believe you can make a whole lot more HP on the Pentastar without doing a lot of modifications.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for! Thanks!

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
I really do not know where people are getting these figures that the diesel is slower then the pentastar, maybe the specs are then different in NA and Europe. Over here for example in the GC the 250 hp and 420 ft/lb diesel has a slightly better acceleration 0-100 kph then the pentastar, with the pentastar having a slightly higher top speed by a few kph. And tuning the diesel isn't that expensive at all. Its already turbocharged, a simple tune easily gets 40-50 hp. More then that certainly does start to cost.
Sponsored