Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like an awful way to end a lift kit install.
I've come across a couple of diy driveway installs where the guy was trying to be as informative as possible. After disconnecting the cables, he explained why they are attached to the axle the way they are by sliding the cable in and out of the jacketing. It was like watching someone slowly rear end another car at a red light because their foot slipped off the brake. All the time in the world to be screaming NO!!!, but it happens anyway. Only one guess is needed for what their next video installment was about. If they seemed like assholes, it would've been funny. But they seemed nice, so it was not
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
That sounds like an awful way to end a lift kit install.
Fortunately it isn't as bad as it sounds. Four 10mm bolts and the console is free enough to lift and get your hands underneath. The cables fall out of the retaining bracket VERY easily with no tension. I managed to wrap some duct tape around the bracket so they won't fall out should I ever need to disconnect again in the future. Took about 15 minutes or so.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Fortunately it isn't as bad as it sounds. Four 10mm bolts and the console is free enough to lift and get your hands underneath. The cables fall out of the retaining bracket VERY easily with no tension. I managed to wrap some duct tape around the bracket so they won't fall out should I ever need to disconnect again in the future. Took about 15 minutes or so.
I assume there wasn't an easy way to move the rear cable back a couple inches that jumped out at you? I can't do the standard re-route on the 4xe, and I'd really like a couple more inches of slack.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I assume there wasn't an easy way to move the rear cable back a couple inches that jumped out at you? I can't do the standard re-route on the 4xe, and I'd really like a couple more inches of slack.
I don’t think so. IIRC, the cable sheathing is mounted to a fixed point, whereas the cables obviously slide freely when not attached at both ends.

I don’t know the correct terminology, but under the console the cable ends pretty much just rest inside of a “saddle”. When tension is removed they can easily fall out of that “saddle”.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Seems like it is easy enough to get a similar effect of the bracket with some zip ties .. Bracket just a nicer option.
Great call out. The effect is what is important. The only reason i think a bracket is better than zip ties is strength & longevity.

but if you do not have a bracket, ties could be a great temporary work around.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here is the aforementioned “saddle” right behind the parking brake lever, underneath the center console. Both sides of the e-brake get centered here at this location and become one cable that the lever pulls on.
Jeep Wrangler JL ebrake cables (re-route?) DB2EDD22-E9C7-423E-8E3F-61C877311983

Credit: Cheaper Jeeper TV

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
In the Metal Cloak install instructions there is no mention of re-routing the rear e-brake cables.. However I noticed in the RockCrawler instructions it mentions this. Anyone know if this is necessary or not. Will test it but not clear how the ebrake cable comes off the axle. It's a strange little connection and it seems like there is quite a bit of slack already.

I have the Metalcloak 3.5” gamechanger. I took it upon myself to order and use the synergy bracket for the parking brake cables.

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jlu-parking-brake-cable-relocation-bracket.html

**edit

Saw someone already mentioned this.

Also you can use a 13mm box wrench if you can’t find your 1/2” lol.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Here is the aforementioned “saddle” right behind the parking brake lever, underneath the center console. Both sides of the e-brake get centered here at this location and become one cable that the lever pulls on.
DB2EDD22-E9C7-423E-8E3F-61C877311983.png

Credit: Cheaper Jeeper TV
So I think the saddle is easy enough to extend (Northridge actually has an extension they sell for the UD60 swap), I'd have to figure out some way to extend the bracket that locks the jacket in (and also apparently holds a bunch of harnesses).

OP, sorry for the thread jack.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
You definitely need to re-route them. I use a 1/2” box wrench and tap it on clip with hammer this will depress all the fingers at once and will come right out…also synergy makes a bracket fir them, I recommend it….
That's the trick!

I use a 13mm wrench.

Sponsored

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Truggy, Tube Buggy on 43s, 4Runner, JLU XR
Just make sure that when you disconnect them that you avoid pushing the cables into the sheathing. Otherwise you’ll be unbolting your center console to reconnect them to the parking brake mechanism.

I’ll leave it you your imagination to figure out how I know that.
It's hard to avoid in all cases.. SO yea it happened to me, but took about 10 minutes to reconnect. This video showed a very easy way to do it.. Just lifted up the console from the rear and it was right there...

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Haven't done this job....yet. How about putting some tape where the cable goes into the sleeve to prevent it from sliding in before you remove the cable?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Haven't done this job....yet. How about putting some tape where the cable goes into the sleeve to prevent it from sliding in before you remove the cable?
Not a bad idea.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Truggy, Tube Buggy on 43s, 4Runner, JLU XR
That might work.. That or a tight zip tie would do it.. But again if it comes out it's 10 minutes to fix using method described in video, so no big deal either way.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
It's hard to avoid in all cases.. SO yea it happened to me, but took about 10 minutes to reconnect. This video showed a very easy way to do it.. Just lifted up the console from the rear and it was right there...

Thank you! I came across this thread as I was finishing my gamechanger lift yesterday and realized that I think have an ebrake issue so I was searching on this forum assuming this happened to someone else. Good to hear it's not a big fix!
Sponsored