Sponsored

Eaton e-locker diff install kit - wrong bearings?

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2023 JLUR on order
Hi all, I recently purchased an e-locker for my front M186/D30 in my Willys for my regar. I decided to take it to a shop to have them do the install, alongside the regear, because I felt I was getting in over my head.

I purchased the locker (eaton p/n 19818-020) and the eaton install kit p/n K-D30-186 as per their application flyer. The shop just called and told me that the bearings in the eaton install kit are too small for the e-locker. They say they're the same size as the spicer bearings in the 'standard' master install kit.

They're reaching out to Eaton tomorrow, but I wanted to see if any of you guys knew if there's another install kit for the M186 e-locker that I didn't find? Or did I just royally screw up in parts?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hi all, I recently purchased an e-locker for my front M186/D30 in my Willys for my regar. I decided to take it to a shop to have them do the install, alongside the regear, because I felt I was getting in over my head.

I purchased the locker (eaton p/n 19818-020) and the eaton install kit p/n K-D30-186 as per their application flyer. The shop just called and told me that the bearings in the eaton install kit are too small for the e-locker. They say they're the same size as the spicer bearings in the 'standard' master install kit.

They're reaching out to Eaton tomorrow, but I wanted to see if any of you guys knew if there's another install kit for the M186 e-locker that I didn't find? Or did I just royally screw up in parts?
They likely just messed up the parts. It uses the same bearings from the Master Kit, as they mentioned.

OP
OP
geolchris

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They likely just messed up the parts. It uses the same bearings from the Master Kit, as they mentioned.
edit - this was in no way the shop’s fault, totally mine for not reading the manual. Original text below for transparency.

***Well crud. That causes me to lose some confidence in them.***

Last edited:
OP
OP
geolchris

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update, I just called and talked with Eaton - the e-locker runs a thicker shaft, needs bearings with a larger ID (same OD). For future people, they said the bearings in the rebuild kit are for all the carriers except for the e-locker.

According to the techs at Eaton, the bearings needed are off the shelf bearings, p/n Lm102911 and Lm102949, 2x needed of each.

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Yeah, unfortunately you don't know unless you read the instructions. There should be a big * saying that it requires special bearings. Found out the hard way myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
geolchris

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, unfortunately you don't know unless you read the instructions. There should be a big * saying that it requires special bearings. Found out the hard way myself.
I knew I should have opened the box and read those :LOL:

But in seriousness, their application flyer has an asterix for nearly every other carrier on the list with individual, specific instructions on what extras you need. My fault for assuming I was in the clear after seeing that they didn't say anything special about the m186 e-locker. Ah well.

notacon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport unlimited

I had an Eaton EAT19818 installed on my 2019 JLU sport when I wend to Dana 4.88 gears no problem. Got it from West Coast Differentials before Eaton had a e-locker available for the M186 axle.
Sponsored