JoyRider

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 1996 YJ
Hi everyone!

alright I just installed the Rock Krawler 3.5" kit on our 2door JL and ordered some 37s next stop would be re-gear I guess... But here is the question...

The wife being Eatons Vehicle Group CFO wants some Eaton lockers in our Jeep which is also her daily driver. So my thought now that we done lift and tires and may re-gear anyways would be the time to...
So question to the seasoned Jeepsters... does that make sense at all to swap out the stock lockers to Eaton ones? As long as its no downgrade I'd do it for the sake of making her happy... What gearing would you choose?

Cheers
Sponsored

Kenten05

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
As of now there are no Eaton electronic lockers available for the JL axles. If your wife is truly the CFO ask her to find out what the ETA is for their arrival to the market. We'd all love to know.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
As of now there are no Eaton electronic lockers available for the JL axles. If your wife is truly the CFO ask her to find out what the ETA is for their arrival to the market. We'd all love to know.
Yup, what he said. And if I recall correctly when Eaton built the E-locker for the JK it was specifically not for the Rubicon. Probably not enough market there for people who already own a locker and want a different locker without switching axles. If you need to have an Eaton equipped Jeep I would suggest an axle swap.

OP
OP
JoyRider

JoyRider

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 1996 YJ
Thx for the comments!

I may actually have taken her on the wrong track here... we looked at their product page and didn't find anything for the JL. I then send her off to ask their aftermarket product guy about a locker for a Dana 44 and they came back with something. but it could very well be for a JK, she's not the most technical person and new in the industry so sometimes info als might get lost on the way.
Also I am not too seasoned in modding jeeps we have a YJ down in Houston as a sort of fun car that I am not modding but just keeping alive and a new JL up here in Michigan. But she's now asking about lockers for JLs and Rubicons in specific. Maybe I will have some info to share at some point.

Yup, what he said. And if I recall correctly when Eaton built the E-locker for the JK it was specifically not for the Rubicon. Probably not enough market there for people who already own a locker and want a different locker without switching axles. If you need to have an Eaton equipped Jeep I would suggest an axle swap.
Its less about needing, more about her wanting to use their own products and understanding them which imho is a good thing so as long as we are not downgrading anything I am all for it.

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
the dana 44 name for the axles are more of a marketing name meant more for the parking lot show and tell guy to say "yeah its got dana 44 axles front and rear stock"

the dana specific naming convention is m210 for the front axle and m220 for the rear axle both are 32 spline, as far as i can tell eaton does not make a locker in that spline count

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
An axle swap to Dynatrac pro rock, or Dana ultimate 44s can be equipped with the Eaton E locker. And would certainly not be a down grade. She may be able to even get a discount on the Dana direct axles from some people that she works with. There are a bunch of other companies out there that offer replacement axles, but most of them are for much stronger axles that would be very overkill for your described usage.

OP
OP
JoyRider

JoyRider

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 1996 YJ
An axle swap to Dynatrac pro rock, or Dana ultimate 44s can be equipped with the Eaton E locker. And would certainly not be a down grade. She may be able to even get a discount on the Dana direct axles from some people that she works with. There are a bunch of other companies out there that offer replacement axles, but most of them are for much stronger axles that would be very overkill for your described usage.
Its not supposed to be a pure commuter but an axle swap is more than planned for now... but who knows...
Sponsored