Sponsored

Eaton E-Locker Dana 30 & 35

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
Thank you. But the rear is most likely a M220 which is essentially a LSD d44 correct?
Unfortunately the only JL Jeeps that get a locker are the Rubicon. So if it’s an M220 it has the LSD.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Unfortunately the only JL Jeeps that get a locker are the Rubicon. So if it’s an M220 it has the LSD.
I was aware Rubicon was the only ones to get that but it seemed like a few different options happened for anything non Rubicon. Really glad I have the 186 on the front and looks like the 220 on the rear.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you don’t know the difference between a locker and an LSD you probably don’t need lockers.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That is one way to look at it, the other is we were and are all beginners at one point or another
I’m honestly not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you some money. What size tires are you running? What makes you think you need lockers? I’d be very hesitant to lock that D30.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m honestly not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you some money. What size tires are you running? What makes you think you need lockers? I’d be very hesitant to lock that D30.
I didn’t think you were. But everyone is a beginner in one field or another. For me I don’t have much experience in this field so that’s what great about the forum.

To answer honestly I think it’s because I wasn’t able to get a Rubicon and want to make my Sport as capable as I can within my means. And I want to start getting out with the wife and pups and I would like to be as confident and prepared as possible when we do.

I mean adding elockers to the front isn’t like fully replacing all the axles or anything wild like that so I don’t see any reason not to investigate it.

Right now I’m running c rated 285x75’s Toyo at3’s so technically 33.9” and I’ll have a 2.5 Clayton Overland kit going on next month.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I didn’t think you were. But everyone is a beginner in one field or another. For me I don’t have much experience in this field so that’s what great about the forum.

To answer honestly I think it’s because I wasn’t able to get a Rubicon and want to make my Sport as capable as I can within my means. And I want to start getting out with the wife and pups and I would like to be as confident and prepared as possible when we do.

I mean adding elockers to the front isn’t like fully replacing all the axles or anything wild like that so I don’t see any reason not to investigate it.

Right now I’m running c rated 285x75’s Toyo at3’s so technically 33.9” and I’ll have a 2.5 Clayton Overland kit going on next month.
I would honestly just take it out and go play. You’ll likely discover that you’ll be far more limited by your confidence and driving ability than you will by the Jeep’s capabilities. As you get more experience and confidence you can then decide where to go/upgrade next.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
As an alternative that I've been considering, Nitro makes a helical LSD, similar to the Eaton Tru-Trac.

https://www.nitro-gear.com/category-s/265.htm

Unlike the Trac-loc that comes in the wrangler, which uses clutches and requires friction modifier, the torsen system is virtually maintenance free and more reliable. It is reported to have excellent on road manners and works well off road giving you the extra traction you need.

The one caveat is that if one wheel gets up in the air and there is no force at all, it will just spin like an open diff.

On a positive note, there are also no electrical/air lines to get caught or engagements to fail.

Just throwing it out there. Depending on your conditions, I've heard lockers present some challenges in the snow and ice (like understeer) that aren't present with the lsd. Never lived in the snow, so it's just hearsay.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an alternative that I've been considering, Nitro makes a helical LSD, similar to the Eaton Tru-Trac.

https://www.nitro-gear.com/category-s/265.htm

Unlike the Trac-loc that comes in the wrangler, which uses clutches and requires friction modifier, the torsen system is virtually maintenance free and more reliable. It is reported to have excellent on road manners and works well off road giving you the extra traction you need.

The one caveat is that if one wheel gets up in the air and there is no force at all, it will just spin like an open diff.

On a positive note, there are also no electrical/air lines to get caught or engagements to fail.

Just throwing it out there. Depending on your conditions, I've heard lockers present some challenges in the snow and ice (like understeer) that aren't present with the lsd. Never lived in the snow, so it's just hearsay.

Good to know, I'll look into them.
The snow factor is definitely something to consider here, we get our fair share and I do like to get out and play in it from time to time :)

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
I have run an E-Locker on my 2001 Cherokee's D30 for over 70,000 miles without issues.
It works when needed, replacing an ECTED that self-destructed in less than 30,000 miles.
An even more useful choice, IMO, would be a Truetrac, I have run them in my XJs and TJs without problems for over 100,000 miles. I like the fact that they are always active.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We get enough snow around here where if anything compromises my abilities driving in it in 4wd I would probably look to upgrade other areas of my build.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
We get enough snow around here where if anything compromises my abilities driving in it in 4wd I would probably look to upgrade other areas of my build.
These are not great snow vehicles. Heavy and high COG. I usually drive my wife’s Honda Civic when it snows.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!