Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Update to this thread. There is still no direct replacement Eaton E-Locker for the JL Rubicon OE locker(s). Their Rubicon solution involves replacing the 32 spline axles with 35 spline Gladiator axles or aftermarket axles.
I was just getting ready to type this. The same for the ARB locker. The ARB locker requires you to upgrade to 35 spline axles. The 32 spline axle ARB locker with lot work. TRUST ME. it will not work.
Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Are the 35 axles better than the 32. What makes them better? Is the e lockers better than oe lockers?
I’m asking because I don’t know and was also wondering if the new full floating axle is better and would the elocker work or not. Some of you guys are pretty intelligent on these matters. I’m not, I just learn from some of you.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ted,
On a different note, I discovered the recommended GL-5 gear oils contain high levels of sulfur phosphorus which is corrosive to almost all non-ferrous metals, except gold. Given my electrical problems and some of my observations, I think I may be dealing with an issue of corrosion on the contacts of the connectors. A sulfide layer can form on the contacts and prevent continuity. I've bought all the connector components for the actuator and I'm going to remove the OEM connector and replace the contacts with gold contacts. I'll let you know if it works. If it does fix it and you have any dead actuators (magnets), I can replace the connectors for you. I have a lot of spares.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Are the 35 axles better than the 32. What makes them better? Is the e lockers better than oe lockers?
I’m asking because I don’t know and was also wondering if the new full floating axle is better and would the elocker work or not. Some of you guys are pretty intelligent on these matters. I’m not, I just learn from some of you.
The floating axles allow for an axle to break, but the wheel/hub is still retained and functional to roll safely. If you break an axle, you can simply remove the broken axle parts and continue to drive it, if you have the locker locked (to drive the remaining axle shaft). We're talking about rear axles here. The front axle is already effectively a full floating design with hubs that can continue to retain the wheel and roll safely with a broken axle.

In this case, 32 vs 35 spline count axles has more to do with the larger diameter of the 35 spline axle than the number of splines. Splines can be of any pitch/size at the descretion of the designer. But, in this comparison, I believe the pitch and size of the individual splines are the same, which would mean that more spline count would require a larger diameter, and a larger diameter is a stronger axle (given that the steel is the same). It's not exactly clear to me, but I think the Gladiator Rubicon with the Max Tow (or some such) option has the 35 spline count axles. I don't know if that includes the front axles on that vehicle. Maybe Ted can clarify.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I see thanks.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
For the old semi-float, the 35 spline shafts are stronger.

You can google for more detailed information but a full-float axle generally carries more weight than a semi-float. All of the vehicle weight is held by the hub at the end of the axle tube. The shaft only has to spin the tire. With a semi-float, the weight is on the flange at the end of the shaft where the tire bolts on. So the shaft is carrying the weight and spinning the tire at the same time.

Pretty much all heavy duty axles in trucks are full-float. Starting in the Âľ ton and up. The need to carry the weight justifies the added cost. For lighter cars and trucks, the semi-float is used because it can carry the lighter weight and it is less expensive.

The new full-float in the 2024 is a way to get a little extra weight capacity without going to a Âľ ton axle. It's a good axle to order with a new one but not a good deal to swap if you don't already have one. For the same money an aftermarket Dana 60 is a better upgrade.
Sponsored