Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
We don't always settle on what we "need".

I don't need a Rubicon or lockers for the majority of the trails that I do.
But I "wanted" to have a Rubicon. And it's nice having selectable lockers for those times when you do need them.

OP might not need lockers but he clearly wants them.
Let the man fortify his Jeep. :rock:
I agree. he can do whatever he wants. But makes no sense to drop $3,000 to $4,000 (parts and labor) on lockers when he doesn't even have the most basic protection on the Jeep.

And from personal experience it doesn't generally go like that. What happens is you go on an easy trail, then start trying more difficult trails. Then you get into situations where things become harder, you start hitting rocks, you get your first "body damage", etc... You still get through the trail with work. Worst case scenario your friends pulls you out. Then you feel the exhaustion and get tired of the jerkiness and unpredictability of BLD. Then you start thinking about lockers.

Generally you do your research about the trail, go with other jeepers, etc... if you have little experience and find yourself in situations when you actually need lockers to get through the best thing you can do is turn around to avoid something bad happening.

If you are more like exploring with the jeep instead of doing wheeling trails and find yourself in a difficult situation, or get stuck. Recovery gear is a far better investment than lockers for these emergency situations.
Sponsored

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
And from personal experience it doesn't generally go like that. What happens is you go on an easy trail, then start trying more difficult trails. Then you get into situations where things become harder, you start hitting rocks, you get your first "body damage", etc... You still get through the trail with work.
Or... the very first real trail you go on is Odessa/Doran Canyon with an unlocked JKUS and you come out of there with a ripped fender flare and an appreciation for lockers. :LOL:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Or... the very first real trail you go on is Odessa/Doran Canyon with an unlocked JKUS and you come out of there with a ripped fender flare and an appreciation for lockers. :LOL:
That's the great thing about owning these things, there's so many ways to justify how we spend our money, and also the school of hard knocks can be one of the best (but often costliest) ways to learn :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I canā€™t find any info on anyone running these on the d30 and d35. I have a 2020 JLU Sport and would to add lockers but donā€™t want to do full axle swaps and donā€™t want to the lunch box thing. Anyone running these? Anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks!
You're jumping the gun... you just got the Jeep and haven't even wheeled it seriously yet with the larger tires and lift. Go wheel it as is and see how capable it is. Our first Jeep was a Sahara with completely open diffs and we wheeled the snot out of it. Go read through my thread and see, your Jeep is more capable than you think.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/our-trip-out-west-with-open-diffs.34306/

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
You're jumping the gun... you just got the Jeep and haven't even wheeled it seriously yet with the larger tires and lift. Go wheel it as is and see how capable it is. Our first Jeep was a Sahara with completely open diffs and we wheeled the snot out of it. Go read through my thread and see, your Jeep is more capable than you think.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/our-trip-out-west-with-open-diffs.34306/
Guilty!! Thanks for that! Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself šŸ¤£

Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Very cool!!! What an adventure!
I lived in Sedona for 6 years but never had a 4x4. I trail run so that was an easy and cheap way to see all the trails. The pink Jeep gang is obnoxious, NOT a fan at all.

I noticed you mentioned a rear locket on the wish list, did you end up adding one to your build?

I think Iā€™m leaning towards putting an any funds to a compressor, new bumpers with a winch most likely, Rock rails and some under armor.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think Iā€™m leaning towards putting an any funds to a compressor, new bumpers with a winch most likely, Rock rails and some under armor.
Sounds like a solid plan! By the looks of your avatar your Jeep has high clearance fenders, do you have any additional lift? If not a Rubicon take off suspension is a good addition on a budget, should get you another 1.5" or even 2" if you find a diesel set.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool!!! What an adventure!
I lived in Sedona for 6 years but never had a 4x4. I trail run so that was an easy and cheap way to see all the trails. The pink Jeep gang is obnoxious, NOT a fan at all.

I noticed you mentioned a rear locket on the wish list, did you end up adding one to your build?

PM me and I'll give you my cell and we can talk. You sound a lot like we did when we started four years ago. We are now on our 4th Jeep, a Rubicon, that sits on a 4" lift, 38" tires and we live 20 mins from Sand Hollow. The sickness is real yo... lol.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PM me and I'll give you my cell and we can talk. You sound a lot like we did when we started four years ago. We are now on our 4th Jeep, a Rubicon, that sits on a 4" lift, 38" tires and we live 20 mins from Sand Hollow. The sickness is real yo... lol.

I believe it, I have had this thing less than 2 full months and all I want to do is mod the hell out of it. I sold both of my Gibson guitars to pay for a lift kit and a few other mods.

I just found a really great article describing and showing the differences between the M200 and M220 Rear axle and I was also finally able to get my build sheet.
Turns out I have the M200 on the rear šŸ˜«šŸ˜«
Its crazy how much they look alike, I was sure I had the 220!

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I believe it, I have had this thing less than 2 full months and all I want to do is mod the hell out of it. I sold both of my Gibson guitars to pay for a lift kit and a few other mods.

I just found a really great article describing and showing the differences between the M200 and M220 Rear axle and I was also finally able to get my build sheet.
Turns out I have the M200 on the rear šŸ˜«šŸ˜«
Its crazy how much they look alike, I was sure I had the 220!
Youā€™ll be just fine but if you do eventually want a locker like I have in my M200 Sahara, you can get the electric actuator/cable operated hybrid setup by Ox Locker. Since one of the Ox differentials also lets you upgrade to standard width M220 axles, you can upgrade those to 32 spline Yukons, no other changes, while youā€™re in there re-gearing. Itā€™s worked reliably for me in the few times Iā€™ve actually thought it would save time and dirt/mud slinging. Itā€™s been in for about 20k miles so far.

I personally choose not to lock the front M186 (Not as weak as the D30 and the M200 isnā€™t as weak as a D35 either) in case I need to throttle out. I chose smooth 4wd performance for the front when the wheels are cranked one way or another and got the RCV axles (u joints tend to cause hop in the front at extremes of the steering wheel being turned), which happen to also be guaranteed for 37ā€™s with the M186 so they are stronger as well. https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-dana-30-axle-cv-set-for-jeep-wrangler-jl-w-fad.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Youā€™ll be just fine but if you do eventually want a locker like I have in my M200 Sahara, you can get the electric actuator/cable operated hybrid setup by Ox Locker. Since one of the Ox differentials also lets you upgrade to standard width M220 axles, you can upgrade those to 32 spline Yukons, no other changes, while youā€™re in there re-gearing. Itā€™s worked reliably for me in the few times Iā€™ve actually thought it would save time and dirt/mud slinging. Itā€™s been in for about 20k miles so far.

I personally choose not to lock the front M186 (Not as weak as the D30 and the M200 isnā€™t as weak as a D35 either) in case I need to throttle out. I chose smooth 4wd performance for the front when the wheels are cranked one way or another and got the RCV axles, which happen to also be guaranteed for 35ā€™s with the M186 so they are stronger as well.
Great to know! Thanks for the info!
Sponsored