Sponsored

Dual Top Question

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
for those that ordered the dual tops (hard top and premium soft top).

Did you expect to receive the soft top in that huge box in the rear of the jeep?

How awkward was it for you to remove it from the vehicle and store it somewhere?

Did you switch out the hard top immediately?

My vehicle had a premium soft top included although I only selected the hard top, I'm thinking about selling it, but something tells me to hold on to it for at least a year before I make that decision what do you think?
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
If you have the ability to swap the tops out, go a season running the soft top. You may never want to get ride of it.

There is nothing like being able to flip the sunrider back on a sunny day or just drop the top and go cruising. Even better when you drop the top, pull the doors and just drive and drive.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If you have the ability to swap the tops out, go a season running the soft top. You may never want to get ride of it.

There is nothing like being able to flip the sunrider back on a sunny day or just drop the top and go cruising. Even better when you drop the top, pull the doors and just drive and drive.
I have never been cold in my Jeep with soft top only in New England. I never need to run the heat full blast as it is too hot inside even in sub freezing temps.

As you said, it is nice to flip it down whenever you want. This past winter we have had a few 60 degree spells in February where I took the top down. Had I had the hard top I would have not been able to. I will never have a Jeep with a hard top as I see no need for it personally. I also don't want the to deal with swapping the tops twice a year and or storing them.

There are a lot of people that get the dual top group but end up just sticking with one top. I see a top for sale all the time saying "used one season". This is because they tried both and decided which one they preferred and stuck with the one.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I have never been cold in my Jeep with soft top only in New England. I never need to run the heat full blast as it is too hot inside even in sub freezing temps.

As you said, it is nice to flip it down whenever you want. This past winter we have had a few 60 degree spells in February where I took the top down. Had I had the hard top I would have not been able to. I will never have a Jeep with a hard top as I see no need for it personally. I also don't want the to deal with swapping the tops twice a year and or storing them.

There are a lot of people that get the dual top group but end up just sticking with one top. I see a top for sale all the time saying "used one season". This is because they tried both and decided which one they preferred and stuck with the one.
I hear ya, it can be a bit of a pain to swap tops out at times, more so when I was running a Gobi on my JK. Every individual is a little different, for me it's worth it as I couldn't deal with a soft top in the winter, more so since I'm in a condo with outdoor parking.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya, it can be a bit of a pain to swap tops out at times, more so when I was running a Gobi on my JK. Every individual is a little different, for me it's worth it as I couldn't deal with a soft top in the winter, more so since I'm in a condo with outdoor parking.
Yes and that is why it is nice to have the option depending on personal preference and or need for various reasons. My first Jeep was soft top only and this time around I was originally going to do dual top group. The more I thought of it however I realized at no time did I wish I had a hard top. This is when I decided to remove the option. :)

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Did you expect to receive the soft top in that huge box in the rear of the jeep?

How awkward was it for you to remove it from the vehicle and store it somewhere?

My vehicle had a premium soft top included although I only selected the hard top, I'm thinking about selling it, but something tells me to hold on to it for at least a year before I make that decision what do you think?
Wait... My order with dual top was delayed because of lack of soft tops, yet you got a soft top although you didn't order one, for free??? WTF Or did I misread what you meant?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait... My order with dual top was delayed because of lack of soft tops, yet you got a soft top although you didn't order one, for free??? WTF Or did I misread what you meant?
Thats what I think he is saying and I recall another member posting the same thing. It seems with them storing the Jeeps for so long and then trying to find the ones to put a soft top into they have made a few mistakes along the way.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I got dual tops on my JK and ordered them again on my JL. The ease of taking out the front panels on the hard top compares well with the ease of flipping back the sunrider (untucking the plastic rails in four doors, standing on the seats to fold the fabric evenly, velcroing the bars down). End result was the same: open air above you

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I will gladly buy your soft top if the price is right.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Soft tops are great for that open air feel, and part of what the Jeep experience is all about, but those plastic windows? ugh. sign me up for Sky One touch.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Yes on the huge box, thanks to what I read here.

It wasn't that awkward to remove the box. Gravity works in your favor, I did though put it on a wheeled cart to move away from the JLU before unboxing everything.

No. I did not switch the hard top immediately. Neither weather nor my finalization of the gear I will acquire/build to lift that hard top has been completed.

I can't tell you whether to sell the soft top--or did you mean the hard top???? I can tell you factors to consider.

* How much do you need the cash?

* Assuming you are referring to selling the soft top, do want to try the top at least once to see if it's for you?

* The size of the top you sell (hard or soft) is probably limited to the local market given its size.

* Are you selling it to offset the cost of an aftermarket top which will replace its functionality and not result in you missing it?

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
I just switched my hardtop to the premium soft top. The new soft top is really nice. It looks better from the inside than the white hardtop. It's super quiet. It's easy to fold down and back up for quick trips. If I didn't live in Pa with lots of snow I'd leave it on all year round. You should defiantly keep it.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I just switched my hardtop to the premium soft top. The new soft top is really nice. It looks better from the inside than the white hardtop. It's super quiet. It's easy to fold down and back up for quick trips. If I didn't live in Pa with lots of snow I'd leave it on all year round. You should defiantly keep it.
I'm in PA also and was going to do the power sliding top, but that has been delayed a few more months, plus I love the open air and nothing can give you that like the soft top. The problem with the old OEM soft top was that it took forever to put down and back up, but Jeep seems to have made that process a whole lot faster.

So you love the new soft top? Any problems or dislikes with it?

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
This is my third wrangler, so I know both tops well. It’s still not super quick to take it all the way down. The sunrider position is very nice and a good compromise. Now, if we’re comparing to the old wrangler soft top, this is waaaay better. I was actually shocked at how much nicer it is, and I’m picky. Zero problems.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door

i’m also in new england going soft top only, no hard top - tons of people in jeeps up here north of boston riding soft top year round, seems like too much fun to be bothered with swapping tops
Sponsored