notcreative

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Hi All,
I purchased a 2018 JL Sahara this past Wednesday, its my first Wrangler and its great so far. Coming from a Grand Cherokee, its a big but welcome change. I purchased the dual top option and have a potentially very dumb question which the dealership and their service department cannot answer, so here I am.

I am wondering if the skeleton of the soft top can be installed and the hard top put back on? That way, all that I would need to do would be to remove the hard top and install the fabric on the soft top frame. I have searched and searched but cannot find the answer.

Thanks!
Sponsored

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
Good Idea, but that would actually make it harder to put back on. The soft top attaches to the roll bar. All you have to do is remove the top with the windows already removed and all the rest stays together. It is easier than you think. A lot easier that removing a hard top. It is less cumbersome with two people, but I have done it with one.

vonbek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Hi All,
I purchased a 2018 JL Sahara this past Wednesday, its my first Wrangler and its great so far. Coming from a Grand Cherokee, its a big but welcome change. I purchased the dual top option and have a potentially very dumb question which the dealership and their service department cannot answer, so here I am.

I am wondering if the skeleton of the soft top can be installed and the hard top put back on? That way, all that I would need to do would be to remove the hard top and install the fabric on the soft top frame. I have searched and searched but cannot find the answer.

Thanks!
From what I read in the manual, installing the soft top requires door frames to be installed on the front and rear doors (I'm assuming that's a rail on top of the doors) and a retainer clip is bolted on to each corner of the truck next to the tailgate. All of that would have to be removed prior to installing the hard top. Also, even if the soft top itself was able to stay mounted while the hard top was on, and you were able to remove the fabric from the frame, the skeleton of the frame may interfere with the operation of the rear window.

OP
OP

notcreative

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Ah, this all makes sense. Thank you guys for the quick replies!
Sponsored