Question on Dual Top for noob

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I run dual tops. I have since my JK. I like the softtop in the spring thru fall, and half the summer I'm topless doorless. I do a lot of trips/overlanding and the hardtop is nice for those. It gives a little better security. Since you're in the NE you get snow so the hardtop will be really nice in winter. I don't find the hardtop that great for flipping the top down when the day ends up being nice. The softtop isn't great in the winter. I have a hoist in my garage so switching the tops out is pretty quick. Usually takes more time to get the jeep positioned right, tools and parts out than the actual removing and attaching of tops.
If you need a roofrack, RhinoRack makes on that attaches to the hardtop which is quite convenient because there is no extra work needed when removing the hardtop.
I haven't had my JL for summers yet, but on my JK i often ran with the rear windows out to let air run thru. Its great if you have dogs. I made a guyline to tether them for safety.
If you're going to get one aftermarket, get your jeep with the hardtop because then you get the defroster, etc. Its a lot more work to add a hardtop later than a softtop. If you're going to run dual tops its usually cheaper to get it with your jeep, but sometimes you can find people selling a used a good condition softtop for less than the addon for the dualtop ($1000 extra over the hardtop option)

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Sweet looking, but damn it’s 4,000.
Wasn’t too bad after selling my hardtop for 1500. Being topless as much as humanly possible is a big deal to me, so it’s worth it.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
We just purchased our new wrangler with the hard top. My wife is thinking of adding a soft top to switch out during the summer.
Keep an eye on the Marketplace section, I picked up a Premium Soft Top, NIB for $1100.
Gregj

Sponsored

OP
OP

fflmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Keep an eye on the Marketplace section, I picked up a Premium Soft Top, NIB for $1100.
Gregj
Thanks just looked there and will keep an eye out.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and Pic's are required or it didn't happen! Congrats on the Jeep!
Gregj

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
i'm about to do my first switch. I bought the smart garage lift. I have 10' plus ceilings. I'll figure out winter soft top storage then the time comes. But I did post about that the other day. I'm looking forward to it. I haven't even watched a video on how to get the soft top on yet but figure how hard can it be. I'm hoping it doesn't become a chore each season. running summer and winter tires on my wife's tahoe has become a chore. Bring em to the dealer. get em on. go pick them up and bring them home. looks good but is a PITA now.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'm about to do my first switch. I bought the smart garage lift. I have 10' plus ceilings. I'll figure out winter soft top storage then the time comes. But I did post about that the other day. I'm looking forward to it. I haven't even watched a video on how to get the soft top on yet but figure how hard can it be. I'm hoping it doesn't become a chore each season. running summer and winter tires on my wife's tahoe has become a chore. Bring em to the dealer. get em on. go pick them up and bring them home. looks good but is a PITA now.
Changing the top is not hard, Quadratec has a good video on the process. Do save the bag the top comes in as it will be helpful when you take the top off. I've done it a couple times and it only takes an hour or less.
Gregj

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Changing the top is not hard, Quadratec has a good video on the process. Do save the bag the top comes in as it will be helpful when you take the top off. I've done it a couple times and it only takes an hour or less.
Gregj
cool thanks. i'll check out there video. i keep saying i am each night and i get sidetracked.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
Certainly an excellent option, as they are sick af, but aren't they like 4k? And then you can never go full nekked
yeah, it's pricey and yes, you can't go full nekked. You can pop out the rear windows though, so you're almost nekked. We got one on my wife's Sahara because she wanted a hard top, we don't have anywhere to store a hard top, and we're too lazy to remove a hard top, so this works for us. Plus, it's so nice pushing a button and 'taking the top down'.

MNConvertible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SUL
Is there a non powered version of this? We have only had ours a week, so I am trying to figure all this out! So many choices.
Sponsored