Sponsored

Dual Top Design FLAW

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
Any resolution suggestions here.
Obviously I have same problem. It’s full on hockey season now and just put hard top back on after enjoying soft all summer. This issue is only one I had with soft top.
Sponsored

SPOOF4269

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Jeep Cherokee Altitude 2014 Nissan Rogue SV
Mine was missing the part as well. I had to go to the dealer and they did a warranty claim on it and had to replace the whole inside panel with one that has the clip. They said they don't have just the clip as a part number. There is a part number for a panel with a clip and part number with a panel without the clip. Hope this makes sense. Switch only took 30 min but was just annoying that I could not just get that actual part

OregonPunk'n

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Punk'n
After swapping the hard top for the soft top I noticed a design flaw. The little holder for the hard top wire harness and washer fluid line completely obstructs the top from being able to lift up. In fact one of the tabs broke off of mine when I was trying to lift it. Whether mine is broke or not it cannot be there to operate the soft top. It's a hole in my Wrangler that can take on water now. I don't like that.

I suppose Jeep could say that I need to remove it and place it back each time I put the top up or own. Either way, I think someone owes me a new clip.

I'll update with pictures tomorrow.
He is absolutely right mine does the exact same thing! I was able to carefully unsnap it in order to raise my soft top, and then snap the clip back in. But I can tell by the quality of the retainer it will only be capable of doing that once or twice more. I, also broke the female clip located at the rear of the hardtop when I unsnapped it. I will talk to Jeep about both issues when I take it in someday soon.

gando

First Name
Gando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JK
Did anyone ever get this resolved? Is this still and issue on the 2019's?

Sponsored

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
I asked the dealership a year ago when I first noticed this to get a new clip. Never received one. I ask on each oil change. Nothing.
They should figure out a new design.
If they gave me a new clip I could use it once, break it, get a new clip, break it, get a new clip, break it and then use the Lemon Law.

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I asked the dealership a year ago when I first noticed this to get a new clip. Never received one. I ask on each oil change. Nothing.
They should figure out a new design.
If they gave me a new clip I could use it once, break it, get a new clip, break it, get a new clip, break it and then use the Lemon Law.
Maybe this is how they addressed it?
2:25

gando

First Name
Gando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JK
Interesting. I guess they have called it out due to the issue. Can someone who has a 2019 please confirm that it is still an issue? ie they did not make any changes to the wire harness holder etc in the 2019 model.

Thanks!

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Interesting. I guess they have called it out due to the issue. Can someone who has a 2019 please confirm that it is still an issue? ie they did not make any changes to the wire harness holder etc in the 2019 model.

Thanks!
I have one, actually. I haven’t switched tops yet, but I’ll check this evening. I assumed it’s the same since the video is for the 2019.

gando

First Name
Gando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JK
That would be great. The issue arises after you put the soft top down. When you lift it back up it gets caught under the plastic connector you plugged in to store the hardtop wire assembly.

Sponsored

gando

First Name
Gando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JK
Could someone please confirm if the 2019 has the same configuration/problem with the wire harness holder?

Thanks!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I didn't notice this issue when we tested one on a '18 JLU at the dealership last year. Hmm...

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Maybe this is how they addressed it?
2:25

You should have put the word addressed in sarcastic air-quotes. They definitely "addressed" it by telling you to make sure it's not tangled before lifting it.

My little plastic piece broke and I still have not been able to get a replacement. Dealership says they can't order that piece by itself.
Sponsored