Driving Without Door Bolts?

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Thanks for all the advise! We took the long trip, and worked great as stated without bolts. The door check was another issue...

I tried "pushing" these into the passenger door and discovered it is under quite a bit of tension for those looking to do it. Its able to be done, but goes in with a pretty big effort and thunk. (almost made me think I broke it/something) Needed 2 people too. One to hold door and other to push in. (no further extrapolation on nut jokes there...) ;]

I then decided I didn't want to do that on the passenger side figuring the wife would forget and just swing wide open. (I know old JKs didn't have but the strap, and normal, but not all wives created the same... ;]

So I went to pulling the door checks out of the door and that was definitely a larger endeavor... Ended up with some pliers, a pry bar and some cardboard to protect paint and 2 people again!

There has to be a better way!? Any best practices people have found out there to push and pull door checks out of door simpler noting they are under pretty fair tension?
There is a thread I read here that explains an easier way. I think someone got a longer bolt and threaded it into the door jam them just opened the door until the check was pulled back out. Then they went back to the regular bolt??? I think...
Sponsored

SMITTY14

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had my doors stolen off me on my YJ way back then. But that was without auto locks and an alarm.
I keep the bolts off all summer and put them back on in late fall early winter just for piece of mind.

I will say I find myself storing the bolts securely in my house rather than in the Jeep itself. I like the little place hodlers for them, but between camping, sports, wheeling, etc, I would be cautious from storing the bolts inside the jeep long term.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I decided to join the "No Nut Club" and keep them off. I always fear the Milwaukee ratchet head will get the paint one day so this will lessen the chance there. Still using the detents though.

I figure if I'm not worried about things getting stolen w/o doors than living w/o nuts should not be a worry :)

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I have the door bolts out, but the door checks are still bolted in... So now just 4 bolts to get the doors off.. and i like the door checks, but then again, my first jeep.
This is exactly my thought and what I do as well.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I took mine off several months ago and haven't felt the need to put them back on, and I rarely go doorless. Maybe I'll put them back on for fall/winter...

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the advise! We took the long trip, and worked great as stated without bolts. The door check was another issue...

I tried "pushing" these into the passenger door and discovered it is under quite a bit of tension for those looking to do it. Its able to be done, but goes in with a pretty big effort and thunk. (almost made me think I broke it/something) Needed 2 people too. One to hold door and other to push in. (no further extrapolation on nut jokes there...) ;]

I then decided I didn't want to do that on the passenger side figuring the wife would forget and just swing wide open. (I know old JKs didn't have but the strap, and normal, but not all wives created the same... ;]

So I went to pulling the door checks out of the door and that was definitely a larger endeavor... Ended up with some pliers, a pry bar and some cardboard to protect paint and 2 people again!

There has to be a better way!? Any best practices people have found out there to push and pull door checks out of door simpler noting they are under pretty fair tension?
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Why push them in at all? When you take the doors off just leave the door checks out, put the doors in your garage and go drive around doorless... then when you get home put your doors back on and the door checks are right there, ready to be attached.
Sponsored