First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S (JL)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
So I just put on a Rubicon take-off onto my sport s. The Rubi was a 4 door with hard top and towing. Went into my 2 door. Got around 3 inches out of it. Looks great and really happy with it. But I’ve now noticed it’s driving a little squirrely. Not totally tracking as well as it did before the lift. So the question is...

is this because of the change in castor? And will swapping out the lower control arms for some a bit longer help the issue? Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Aren’t the parts kits for the Mopar lift different for the 2 and 4 door models?

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Aren’t the parts kits for the Mopar lift different for the 2 and 4 door models?
not that I know of. They all seem to be the same when I checked those out. But I didn’t really look too much at the 4 doors since I have a 2 door.

vsav8r

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURd, 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2015 Mercedes G63, 2019 BMW X7, 2015 GMC Sierra HD Denali, 2013 Bentley GTC, 2000 Acura NSX
So I just put on a Rubicon take-off onto my sport s. The Rubi was a 4 door with hard top and towing. Went into my 2 door. Got around 3 inches out of it. Looks great and really happy with it. But I’ve now noticed it’s driving a little squirrely. Not totally tracking as well as it did before the lift. So the question is...

is this because of the change in castor? And will swapping out the lower control arms for some a bit longer help the issue? Thanks in advance for any help!
Adjustable control arms or drop brackets should return the caster angle and improve drivability. If you plan on wheeling it, I'd recommend arms vs brackets.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I put 4 door rubicon springs on my 2 door. I got about 2.25” of lift. I had about 4.75 degrees of caster after the lift. I added the mopar lower control arms to restore caster closer to 6 degrees.

More info:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/

I bought mine from Jegs: part #
68322798AA
https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Perfor...=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Dont mind the picture at jegs, it is incorrect.

My JL tracks dead straight at 65. Let go of the wheel for 20+ seconds.

Easy install too. You can put them on with the jeep on ramps. You will need a major breaker bar to get them loose and a prybar to line up the bolts. Then torque to specs. 103 ft lbs +50 degrees.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler.17791/page-2

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Mopar lift control arms work great when going with Rubi takeoffs , but that’s if you’re only getting up to 2” of lift. If you got 3” of lift, I’d recommend getting adjustable lcas. Also if you’re up 3” you our axle is going to be shifted at least 1/2” so I would also recommend getting an adjustable track bar, and a rear track bar relocation bracket. When you get up to the 3” and higher lift range you need to get your geometry straightened back up for it to drive sweet .

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mopar lift control arms work great when going with Rubi takeoffs , but that’s if you’re only getting up to 2” of lift. If you got 3” of lift, I’d recommend getting adjustable lcas. Also if you’re up 3” you our axle is going to be shifted at least 1/2” so I would also recommend getting an adjustable track bar, and a rear track bar relocation bracket. When you get up to the 3” and higher lift range you need to get your geometry straightened back up for it to drive sweet .
I doubt the lift was 3", maybe the springs haven't settled in, but 2" is the max I've heard from a loaded 4dr JLUR swapped to a 2dr. My 2dr raised about 1.75 to possibly 2" max, and mine was from a JLUR w/ steel bumpers, hard top & tow.

But if indeed it's a 3" then yeah, @Roky (as always) is spot on!

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I would say that in addition to getting the Mopar LCA's, also get an alignment done.

My process was:
  • Install 2" spacer lift - squirrelly & jittery
  • Add longer Mopar LCAs - less jittery
  • Alignment - back to normal
Just my $0.02

Sponsored

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
I would say that in addition to getting the Mopar LCA's, also get an alignment done.

My process was:
  • Install 2" spacer lift - squirrelly & jittery
  • Add longer Mopar LCAs - less jittery
  • Alignment - back to normal
Just my $0.02
I was thinking that as well. Not needing the spacers to level or anything. This thing is plenty high up and level now anyway. Definitely doing the LCA’s. And yeah, an alignment since it already had a slight pull to the right.

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Definitely thinking about the track bar as well. Gonna drive it for a few days first though just to make sure everything is settled in.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely thinking about the track bar as well. Gonna drive it for a few days first though just to make sure everything is settled in.
Did you measure to see if your axle is off center? If it’s not off at least a half inch, then it’s not likely you got 3” of lift. My buddies sport, was off an inch with the “2 inch” Mopar lift, lol.

D18F9FC9-781D-4894-AD6F-219F6E5DE587.jpeg

140BD095-A219-4F90-BF4E-BE5F83B50732.jpeg

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Did you measure to see if your axle is off center? If it’s not off at least a half inch, then it’s not likely you got 3” of lift. My buddies sport, was off an inch with the “2 inch” Mopar lift, lol.

D18F9FC9-781D-4894-AD6F-219F6E5DE587.jpeg

140BD095-A219-4F90-BF4E-BE5F83B50732.jpeg
Didn’t measure that. Will check it after work
Sponsored