Sponsored

Downsides to no LSD on 6 speed?

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I found my dream build at a local dealer but no LSD . I don't do much wheeling but are there any other downsides to not having this ? I'm gonna be running 35s and probably a 2.5' lift

Thanks
Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I found my dream build at a local dealer but no LSD . I don't do much wheeling but are there any other downsides to not having this ? I'm gonna be running 35s and probably a 2.5' lift

Thanks
The really only downside is you'll have the dana 35 rear, and not the upgraded dana 44 (m220).

Mild trails, no intense rock crawling? Who cares, go for it.

If you expect to do serious off-roading on 35s I would reconsider for the peace of mind of a 44 rear.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The really only downside is you'll have the dana 35 rear, and not the upgraded dana 44 (m220).

Mild trails, no intense rock crawling? Who cares, go for it.

If you expect to do serious off-roading on 35s I would reconsider for the peace of mind of a 44 rear.
I’m pretty sure the manual is paired with the D44 regardless of the LSD.

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Ahh okay, I am not sure about that, someone else might be able to clarify if it's true or not.

Sponsored

Joaozao

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
This is accurate. I have mine without LSD. BLD does just fine. Have yet to have an issue but I don't offer road much.

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Thanks guys. I'm trying to go from a lease on my 2018 sport S auto 3.6 to 2020 sport S 6spd 3.6 financed. Dealer said they can swap my 35's on it and I'll take off my step bars and extras for the new one. I'm gonna have to bring my tools cus I'm pretty sure I had to take off the euro fender inserts so the 35s won't rub. I'm not going with the 2.5 RC spacer lift this time so I'm gonna just leave it on my trade in and upgrade to something else.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Thanks guys. I'm trying to go from a lease on my 2018 sport S auto 3.6 to 2020 sport S 6spd 3.6 financed. Dealer said they can swap my 35's on it and I'll take off my step bars and extras for the new one. I'm gonna have to bring my tools cus I'm pretty sure I had to take off the euro fender inserts so the 35s won't rub. I'm not going with the 2.5 RC spacer lift this time so I'm gonna just leave it on my trade in and upgrade to something else.
From everything I’ve read putting 35s on a 6spd isn’t a great combo. The gearing is just way too tall. There are a few posts on about that combo here if you search, and I’ve also asked around (because I have a 6 speed with stock Sport gearing and wanted to go to 35s). Apparently it’s tolerable on flats but when you get to any hills the higher gears are useless.

If you do go with that combo please post your impressions of the performance.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be fine without LSD. The BLD works well. My first jeep had 3:08 axles and open diffs. After learning with that going from a TJ Rubicon to a Sport with BLD only.......I have no regrets. The JL is a mountain goat compared to my first YJ.

Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
From everything I’ve read putting 35s on a 6spd isn’t a great combo. The gearing is just way too tall. There are a few posts on about that combo here if you search, and I’ve also asked around (because I have a 6 speed with stock Sport gearing and wanted to go to 35s). Apparently it’s tolerable on flats but when you get to any hills the higher gears are useless.

If you do go with that combo please post your impressions of the performance.
This is very true, I have 33x12.5/17 on my 6 speed sahara, 3.45 gears are fine for city driving honestly, 6th gear is completely gone on the highway for me, downshift to 4th for some inclines.

If you plan on going 35s as you mentioned, plan to regear. I think I am set on 4.88s when I go to 35 or 37s.

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
This is very true, I have 33x12.5/17 on my 6 speed sahara, 3.45 gears are fine for city driving honestly, 6th gear is completely gone on the highway for me, downshift to 4th for some inclines.

If you plan on going 35s as you mentioned, plan to regear. I think I am set on 4.88s when I go to 35 or 37s.
Thanks guys

When I had my ford focus I hardly ever came out of 4th :LOL: I drive like a snail and most of the time kept rpms low enough to stay in 4th. I have a 40 min commute to work but it's not on any highways. It might be manageable until I can figure out the gearing. Where do you even go to get work like that done? Scared to ask how much it would cost.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks guys

When I had my ford focus I hardly ever came out of 4th :LOL: I drive like a snail and most of the time kept rpms low enough to stay in 4th. I have a 40 min commute to work but it's not on any highways. It might be manageable until I can figure out the gearing. Where do you even go to get work like that done? Scared to ask how much it would cost.
Both axles parts and labor typically $2000 to $2500

Any competent 4x4 or speed shop can do it. Yukon Gear offers a list of certified master installers, too

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Both axles parts and labor typically $2000 to $2500

Any competent 4x4 or speed shop can do it. Yukon Gear offers a list of certified master installers, too
Ouch ..

Thanks

410Jeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Ouch ..

Thanks
I know this isn’t exactly apples to apples here but here’s my experience.

2015 Jeep Sport S 2 Door. Put a 2-3” lift on it and 35’s with my factory 3.73 gearing with limited slip rear. Manual transmission.
I drove that for two years ~22,000 miles. On flats and in the mountains and even on a road trip to Canada. Felt great on the highway and would downshift to 5th for larger hills and overtaking. I never expected it to be amazing on the highway with 35s and 3.73s. It’s a Jeep, not a sports car. But it did just fine and got me everywhere I wanted to go, even with me having a bit of a lead foot.

Fantastic set up for me and if I could do it again I wouldn’t change a thing. But to each their own I suppose. Everyone is looking for something a bit different
Sponsored