Sponsored

First Report on 6 Speed--Drove it Home!!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist

I got to test drive the manual this past weekend. I currently drive an ecoboost mustang. But drove a RX7 / RX8 in previous years. The arm rest positions the hand nice. It was very comfortable. It only took me the test drive to figure the clutch out. Compared to the mustang, it "grabs" higher up from the floor, and I needed to get use to slowing down my shifts. It feels more like the clutch from the RX8. Overall, good experience and it confirms that I'll order a manual. That first gear though... you shift out of it quick.

For those in MD, Adams Jeep in APG has the manual I drove.
That first gear you shift out of that quick”
Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Here's another JL 6-speed review:

TacoSmooth

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I love my six speed.

It is almost effortless to drive. Much smoother than my JK. It flies off of the line and revs nicely. It seems much more responsive than my JK with the same ratio.

4low was cruising at 3mph through the neighborhood the other night. The kids had never gone that slow and were concerned.

The quick engagement of the clutch and the short throw of the shifter are more car like than I expected. I think that it is a vast improvement over the JK. The location of reverse is much better. No more backing up in 6th gear.

I took a couple of JK guys from the shop on a drive and they were pleasantly surprised by the pep and how smooth gear changes were. We

I still get to drive customer's JKs, but it feels like a truck vs my JL which reminds me of my civic.

I haven't done any major highway driving since I gut the rubi, but I got over 16mpg driving around town with a heavy foot. The ESS works great with the manual trans.
Sponsored