First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
ok maybe not high speed but 35-50 on a flat gravel road...? I just don't want to spin one tire in the rain lol

and I own a raptor so I'm not confused about my vehicles...
Since you own a Raptor too like myself, how do you feel about it having an open diff in normal mode? One wheel burn outs are not so much fun lol. But with my current tune it will break/cherp the tire when shifting into second gear
Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Perhaps you should give it a try... ! đŸ˜«
I don’t off road in deep snow. I have 10 feet of snow outside my front door. I get to drive in feet of snow on a regular basis. I chain up when I need to get somewhere. I don’t chain up the Jeep, there is not enough clearance. I would have to go somewhere with less snow to go snow wheelin’ :LOL:

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
I understand where this discussion is going. But i still do not understand from this conversation if there is a reason why you can't add aftermarket LSD on a Rubi? Someone said it would not work but didn't explain why. Hypothetically, wouldn't that be the best of all worlds to have both lockers and a rear LSD in a Rubi?

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

I understand where this discussion is going. But i still do not understand from this conversation if there is a reason why you can't add aftermarket LSD on a Rubi? Someone said it would not work but didn't explain why. Hypothetically, wouldn't that be the best of all worlds to have both lockers and a rear LSD in a Rubi?
Hypothetically, yes. And it HAS been done in the past with the TJ Rubicon.

Practically, there isn't a current product that lets you add an LSD without removing the locker, so you don't get the best of both worlds, you have to choose one or the other.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I personally would like to see Truetrac helical LSD front and rear as an option...don't really see anyone go this route.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I don’t understand the “I need LSD in a Rubicon“ Crowd. I absolutely can’t stand LSD on packed snow and ice. It causes inconsistent sideways slides. The clutches put different Amounts of torque to the wheels which will and does slide you sideways. BLD is trying to mask the effect of LSD but then people posts “why is my rear brakes wearing out before my front brakes?”. Because your LSD is making your BLD work hard to keep you straight on slick roads. I 100% agree that LSD is needed for a rear Wheel/non-4wd, it will get you moving sometimes when an open diff won’t do. But on a 4x4, open diff is so much better and predictable, especially when teamed with lockers for off road situations.
My new Wrangler is my first with selectable lockers and by far the best because you can turn them off! Especially the front in deep snow or mud! My CJ5 had mechanical Detroit lockers and my Bronco LSD’s and the inability to turn them off was sometimes annoying. Winch assisted steering in deep snow or mud sucks!!! The ability to have open diffs for all but when lockers are needed is great!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I personally would like to see Truetrac helical LSD front and rear as an option...don't really see anyone go this route.
My first Wrangler was bought without lsd/lockers. I installed True Trac LSD front and rear. When my Ford Super Duty stock LSD wore out I replaced it with a True Trac and put one up front. It's been my go-to-combo with anything that didn't come stock with lockers and it works exceptionally well in most conditions.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Because the differential case (carrier), what the ring gear bolts to, is a "unit", it is a part in the differential. It can't be two things, and a limited slip or locker replaces the "case" with a new case (unit housing gears or clutches, but can't put both in the same place). If you buy a limited slip or locker, it's a big heavy part with internals, but can't house different parts.

If you like ice cold sweet tea and you like hot black coffee, that's great. If you have a gallon jug full of ice cold sweet tea, you can't add a gallon of hot black coffee and have the best of both worlds. First, it won't all fit in the same space, and secondly, it won't be either ice cold sweet tea, nor will it be hot black coffee. They are two different things, needing the same physical space. You can't put a gallon of hot black coffee in a one gallon container that's already full of ice cold sweet tea.

A Rubicon comes with a one gallon jug of lockers.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It is not available yet.

Our axles are different from those on JK; existing TrueTrac does not fit our axles.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Hypothetically, yes. And it HAS been done in the past with the TJ Rubicon. Practically, there isn't a current product that lets you add an LSD without removing the locker, so you don't get the best of both worlds, you have to choose one or the other.
I think that's the key point here. You guys know that there are mods and accessories for everything with the Wrangler. If there isn't a kit for it, that probably means one of:

1. A lack of market demand
2. The cost far outweighs the benefits (see #1)
3. A better option already exists (see #1)
[4. Feel free to add to this list (and see #1)]

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The tj limited slip/lockers were prone to failure. If you watch the video with one apart you’ll see why. The gears inside the case are tiny and the space needed for them leads to a thinner and therefore weaker case. I’ve never pulled a Wrangler lsd apart, but the one in my 2017 ram was shot at 100k miles and the little tooth that broke off ended up eating the carrier bearing. Most limited slips are both weaker than lockers and wear out over time unlike a locker. Most won’t sacrifice the strength and service life for an overly complicated lsd/locker combo dif. For far less money than dif/locker swaps you can run a tazer and lock your axles as you please, or buy the Mopar wiring harness and hardwire your lockers right to a switch. If it’s about donuts or “quick u-turns“ in the rain, you’ll find a locked rear dif far outperforms an lsd in those cases as well. Snow and especially ice aren’t locker friendly, but I live in CA so that is low on my priority list. As far as overestimating how much a locker helps, I only turn them on when I am unable to make an obstacle without them so I only give them the credit they deserve. What do you do when your “always on“ lsd fails to get you through an obstacle? FYI the bld system is still active with the traction control off, the traction control just turns off the cutting power when wheel spin is detected.
Sponsored