Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The weather is perfect in Houston to go doorless, but driving around in traffic without mirrors is a pain. What are you using when you go doorless?
I would guess most of the mirrors that go in the door hinges would work, but everything I read about them suggests they shake loose at highway speeds.
I tried the motorcycle mirrors on my JK, but I could never get them to stay still at highway speeds.

I've always been a fan of the Dietech bracket design.
http://www.dietechoffroad.com/products/jkmirrorbracket.htm

If you have pics of your setup please share.
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The weather is perfect in Houston to go doorless, but driving around in traffic without mirrors is a pain. What are you using when you go doorless?
I would guess most of the mirrors that go in the door hinges would work, but everything I read about them suggests they shake loose at highway speeds.
I tried the motorcycle mirrors on my JK, but I could never get them to stay still at highway speeds.

I've always been a fan of the Dietech bracket design.
http://www.dietechoffroad.com/products/jkmirrorbracket.htm

If you have pics of your setup please share.
Go to a Harley dealer and pick up a mirror - the mounting stem on some styles is a perfect fit for. The door pin bracket.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I had these on my JKU and loved them. I contacted them last week and they are working on adapting them for the JL. Hopefully they will be ready soon!!

https://www.kikbaxoffroad.com/
Big fan of Kikbax.

Two downsides: they can’t be used with soft/tube/etc doors, and they’re convex, which means they are terrible primary mirrors if your windshield is dropped.

(Does the rear view mirror still attach to the windshield or is it on the cage now?)

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
I just looked at mine and it appears the mirror is attached to the cage and does not fold with the windshield.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I drove doorless without mirrors to work today, and found that the backup camera has a great field of view. By the time they are out of the cameras vision I can see/hear them over my shoulder.
Does anyone know how to get it to stay on permanently when you push the camera button? I have it in my "dock" so that it's easy to push, but if I have to change lanes quickly I would rather it stay on rather than looking for a button.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Cheap mirrors from Amazon showed up today. Pain in the ass to adjust correctly, and they shake a little driving down the road.
They do the job, but I really think the perfect solution would be to find a way to keep the rear camera on. Blind spots are actually less with the rear view camera than the mirrors. The only time I find the mirrors better are when backing into a tight spot since I can see exactly where my tires are.
20180321_144305.jpg

jtp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S unlimited
Doesn’t look like you can do a bolt on bracket like on the JK

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I used a similar mirror from Harley on my JK (I know I kept them just can’t find them) and the stem height was perfect with a black nylon washer on top and bottom to secure it tight.

2F4A01EE-C90B-4627-8438-68DFFC2F362A.jpeg

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I use a motorbike insert like the harley ones above, and then a pair of stick-on blindsport mirrors on the vents. For the JK that works well, but not sure if the vents for the JL offer as good a view, but the larger vent size should allow for one larger size stick-on.

Pics of similar setup by others;

D7267AA9-307E-4CBD-9672-08879BB7E61A.jpeg

B98B640A-099E-4066-8079-EC76DFEF8A3C.jpeg

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I used a similar mirror from Harley on my JK (I know I kept them just can’t find them) and the stem height was perfect with a black nylon washer on top and bottom to secure it tight.

2F4A01EE-C90B-4627-8438-68DFFC2F362A.jpeg
I like the look of this mirror, was visibility any good?

I use a motorbike insert like the harley ones above, and then a pair of stick-on blindsport mirrors on the vents. For the JK that works well, but not sure if the vents for the JL offer as good a view, but the larger vent size should allow for one larger size stick-on.

Pics of similar setup by others;

D7267AA9-307E-4CBD-9672-08879BB7E61A.jpeg

B98B640A-099E-4066-8079-EC76DFEF8A3C.jpeg
I've had the A/C vent mirrors which were great for blind spots on my JK, but not so good for seeing oncoming traffic from the rear(The lower spare makes the center mirror usable on the JL, but I know when I mount my 37 back there it won't do me any good.)
I need to give the harley style mirrors a shot. Adjusting the ones I purchased is the biggest pain, I imagine the harley mirrors don't really need much adjustment if put in the same direction they were pulled out.

I'm going to email coastaltech to see if they have a Mygig lockpick in the works for the JL. I know the law won't like the lack of mirrors, but I think with the backup camera always on and the addition of the vent style mirrors I will feel comforatable knowing I'm not going to run over a small car in traffic.
Sponsored