Door Hinge Chipping

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I just asked her. She said that she used a small spray bottle, with a highly diluted solution. She said a drop per 4 oz, or so. [Seems like too little to me, but I didn't do the job]. I'd start there and add a drop or two if you need to to.

She started the job without the shampoo, was frustrated, switched to the shampoo, and it was a game-changer.

4,000 miles later, numerous car (and power) washes, and there isn't so much as a corner peeled up.
Awesome. Thank you!
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I had a roll of 4" clear bra material left over, so I hand-cut my own hinge covers and installed them. You'd never know they were there and no more chips so far. After I got the first ugly one I knew I had to do something.

Probably took me 1.5-2 hours to do all 4 doors, and also used a few drops of baby shampoo in the water solution to help float the film into place.

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You can find the 3M pre-cut protection film at https://www.r3offroad.com/product-page/jeep-jl-door-hinge-protector-film (this is for the 4 door, you an also buy a 2 door set). I just installed them and, as rickinAZ said above, baby shampoo was key. They turned out great and, unless you are looking for them, you can't tell anything is covering the hinges.

I did end up with a few air bubbles. However, I found that I could "pop" the bubbles with a thin needle inserted almost parallel to the surface. You need to be very careful not to hit the paint.
Is this guy still in business. Ordered just over a week ago and havenā€™t heard anything sinceā€¦

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Iā€™m thinking about getting a different running board to deflect those rocks. Or maybe mud-flaps.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Iā€™m thinking about getting a different running board to deflect those rocks. Or maybe mud-flaps.
Me too, since my rear fender flares are getting chewed up already and I haven't done a lot of off-roading yet. I just have the rubi rock rails but obviously they don't stop anything from getting kicked up onto the doors and rear fenders.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I plasti-dipped all my hinges and theyve been awesome. Multiple thick coats and the protection has been amazing! That was nearly 3 years ago and i just add a coat every year or so on top.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Amazon has some hinge covers. I installed a chrome look set a couple of years ago and they are still there and look better than a bunch of rock chips. Meets all my criteria: works, cheap and easy.

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is this guy still in business. Ordered just over a week ago and havenā€™t heard anything sinceā€¦
I don't know. However, when I ordered back in January, I recall that there was enough of a delay between placing the order and shipment that I was beginning to wonder the same thing. I did get an email order confirmation quickly. The product ultimately arrived without issue.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
you can just get a generic roll of 3M paint protection film off Amazon for about $15, dont need much. Just make a template and cut rectangles and apply them on the forward facing parts of the hinge. Canā€™t even tell itā€™s there. You donā€™t need the pre cut film sets that cover the whole hinge, waste of money and Iā€™m sure itā€™s a bear to get all the bubbles out
Jeep Wrangler JL Door Hinge Chipping D95A9C6E-9A9C-4CBF-BCAB-6CFB3DBE3ABB

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
you can just get a generic roll of 3M paint protection film off Amazon for about $15, dont need much. Just make a template and cut rectangles and apply them on the forward facing parts of the hinge. Canā€™t even tell itā€™s there. You donā€™t need the pre cut film sets that cover the whole hinge, waste of money and Iā€™m sure itā€™s a bear to get all the bubbles out
I generally agree, except the waste-of-money part. To me, it was worth the extra $28 to have them precut. But, then again, I suck at hand-fashioned projects. That's why I asked my daughter to install mine. :)

Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
might do that depending on how long it takes for my order to come in. If all goes well hoping to take delivery of my rubi build this week. Want to protect it.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
might do that depending on how long it takes for my order to come in. If all goes well hoping to take delivery of my rubi build this week. Want to protect it.
I have running boards as well, and didnā€™t have any issues with paint chips until I drove home after installing wider offset wheels with 35s. Got two rock chips on my upper rear hinge, touched them up, and put the PPF on all the hinges right away. No chips ever since

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just got a shipping confirmation email from them. So weā€™re good to go!
@Martial Fartist

BEFORE you do the install read this thread or there is a good chance your will botch the job... 8-)

Get the spray bottle and other stuff you need to make up/use the "All in One Solution" .

You can not use to much of the solution.... actually you are better off using lots of it as it helps get-er done.

Go slow slow and be very patient....

I had my gal pal help as the extra steady hands and her encouraging me to go slow, be patient, etc. saw me getting them all on and with no issues... Again, use lots of the "All in One Solution" .

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/door-hinge-rock-chips.7287/page-5#post-176231
Sponsored