Does the Soft Top get any Easier???

enginerd_josh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Just took the hard top off my 1 week old JL 4 door and installed the mopar twill soft top (purchased dual top group). Does installing the soft top get any easier as time goes goes on? Does it stretch out any? The top itself wasn’t terrible I suppose, but the back window in particular took 20 minutes and 4 Advil to get the clips into the channel. All in all it took close to 30 minutes to install the windows. If it doesn’t get any easier than that, I think I’ll just buy a sun rider top and store the freedom panels. Thoughts? Advice? Degrading name calling?
Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Hi Josh - I recently did the same thing - the windows seem to be a bit easier to wrestle with when it is a little bit warmer.

I have put mine away for the winter now, but anticipate putting the soft top back on in March for the summer.

I really enjoyed the few days I had the soft top on, as I didn't need to worry about surprise rain or anything.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
yes it gets easier. Mine was really hard to put the window on the 1st time. When I took the windows out a week earlier, it was much easier. Even the sun rider top was hard to latch.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
It will break in. Mine did the same thing.

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i have a soft top, and as others have said it will definitely get easier. The weather will definitely make a difference. If its down in the 50-60 range it will still be rather tight. But if its 70 and up once you have done it a few times it should get easier.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yup def gets easier and the enjoyment of driving top down is priceless! This is my 6 wrangler and this is the easiest top to put up and down. Once you've done it a dozen times it becomes old hat...lol and can be dropped and windows packed in their bag behind the seat in 10 minutes....same with putting it up.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
It definitely gets easier with practice, I dunno about breaking in. Are you having troubles with it fitting/green flaps latching closed? Or with getting it in the channel?

I had a lot of trouble with the back window channel working properly at first, but y'know, once you put it in just hold it right at the same spot and keep the feeding edge straight, if that makes sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP

enginerd_josh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thanks for all the advice so far. As for the trouble it was mainly with the green clips and getting the rear window centered in the channel so I could even attack the clips. In watching some different install videos tonight I think the Quadratech video I took as gospel may have actually been making things more difficult than they needed to be and done some things out of order.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My base top was always easy. My premium top is still a pita to put the rear window in.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Thanks for all the advice so far. As for the trouble it was mainly with the green clips and getting the rear window centered in the channel so I could even attack the clips. In watching some different install videos tonight I think the Quadratech video I took as gospel may have actually been making things more difficult than they needed to be and done some things out of order.
I've only had the soft top, but yes it gets easier. One, it will stretch, and two, you get good at it. Especially the placement of the back window, you'll see where the weatherstripping lines up.
I will say the one bottom tab I always pull to take it off has started to tear at the plastic, so be careful with removal.
Do you guys think the dealer will warranty a soft top window??

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I only have the soft top, so I can't comment on the entire installation, just the windows. The first time putting those back in seemed like it took an hour. The last time, I put two doors back on, the windows back in, and the top back up in under 15 minutes. It gets easier.