Sponsored

Does Soft Top Back Window Roll Up in JL?

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I'd also like to see a pic of a rolled up back window.
Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Bump for images

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Been out of town. I’ll get one soon if no one else posts first.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Okay here you go. I only "reverse" rolled it. Into the Jeep if that makes sense. I suppose I can do it again in the shade later. You just need to sort of tuck the "wings" into the roll at the beginning. A 3rd hand would be nice. :) It works out pretty good this way. I saw another member removes the rear window and drapes the bar across behind the seats from wheel hub to wheel hub, I need to try that too.

IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5219.JPG

Wallis247

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
This may be the wrong thread and i apologize, but does the soft top back window in the JL roll up? Would you want to take out the cross bar from the window before rolling it up? Curious the best way to roll it up (if its possible). There were two straps in the bag with the took kit, are those for the back window? Thanks in Advance.
I got mine rolled up, but it was in the sun for awhile.

0C00066D-4AF4-4121-9C4F-88A59A8BD017.jpeg

ED0449A3-E785-4C3B-ADE3-250C1F7F8F91.jpeg

Sponsored

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I'm new to JL and don't have a soft top yet, but I know with the JK I had I would leave the tailgate bar on the window and roll the window around it because it made it easier to roll that way. It worked well and never damaged the window. I am not sure what the JL rear window is like but if the plastic wings are similar to what was on the side windows of the JK it probably won't hurt them either.

RogRedJLUS

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Yup, I read the same and tossed the straps. There's no way I am rolling up my back window. I saw a thread where a guy said he's done it, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't damage the rigid edges that need to slide into the channels.

All of that said, it is very quick and easy to pop the bottom and sides off so that you can lift the window out of the way (like kinda fold it onto the roof) if you need to load/unload something. Personally, right now my windows are either off and stored in my basement or on. When (if??) my soft top window storage bag ever arrives I hope to keep the windows with me in the Jeep at all times.
I think those velcro straps are to hold the frame together when in sunrider position so won't bounce.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I think those velcro straps are to hold the frame together when in sunrider position so won't bounce.
No, that’s a different set of straps. The ones discussed in this thread have snaps on them. They probably don’t ship them anymore... this is a very old thread.

Yella21

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
There are 2 sets of straps that come with the JL soft top:
One set has button snap on the end and it is to hold the rear window in the rolled up position.
The other set have Velcro and is used to hold the top either folded down or in the sun rider position.
Mine is a 2021 and it came with both sets.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Okay here you go. I only "reverse" rolled it. Into the Jeep if that makes sense. I suppose I can do it again in the shade later. You just need to sort of tuck the "wings" into the roll at the beginning. A 3rd hand would be nice. :) It works out pretty good this way. I saw another member removes the rear window and drapes the bar across behind the seats from wheel hub to wheel hub, I need to try that too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does Soft Top Back Window Roll Up in JL? ED0449A3-E785-4C3B-ADE3-250C1F7F8F91

Jeep Wrangler JL Does Soft Top Back Window Roll Up in JL? ED0449A3-E785-4C3B-ADE3-250C1F7F8F91
This is similar to what I've done in the past to get some air flow when I need to keep the windows on. I leave the tailgate bar inside and just roll it up, looping the straps over the end of the tailgate bar.

As long as it isn't a hard angle or a tight roll and you're not doing it 2x a day every day for the next few years, it should not be a problem. I did a similar thing with the side windows of my trektop NX on my TJ and as long as it wasn't too cold they ended up being fine.

Sponsored

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
So what are the black straps for then - if not for rolling up the back window? Anyone know?
Not sure if anyone has responded to you yet... but the straps that came with the new soft top are for holding the the top together when you put it down...

The RED line shows where to the strap goes..
It hold the top so it doesn't bounce around...

Hope this helps...

Jeep Top.JPG

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So what are the black straps for then - if not for rolling up the back window? Anyone know?
The black straps are used when you open the soft top and collapse it back. the straps are placed, one left and one right side, on the frame itself. this prevents the frame from excess bouncing and moving. you cinch the straps around the frame where they fold on each other.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not sure if anyone has responded to you yet... but the straps that came with the new soft top are for holding the the top together when you put it down...

The RED line shows where to the strap goes..
It hold the top so it doesn't bounce around...

Hope this helps...

Jeep Wrangler JL Does Soft Top Back Window Roll Up in JL? Jeep Top.JPG
"BINGO"

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
You mean something like this?
That isn't the factory JL Top,,
Not sure if that back window has the side hard plastic pieces on it...
They say you can't bend them,, it will cause them to break and they don't roll up...

Not sure if that is what you were trying to show??

but that is what I do with my window when loading/unloading,, Just flip it on top.

Cool top though!!
what one is that?
Sponsored