Sponsored

Does recirculate actually work? JLUR

rubydoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I have about 2k miles on my JLUR. I noticed that even with recirculate on, I can smell things from outside. My others cars all kept the outside air out enough that I couldn't smell things from outside. (like a smoker in front of me, the strong smelling foam at a car wash, etc). This probably isn't an issue for most people but I have really bad allergies and I can't roll my windows down or use vent without being miserable at work all day, so I use AC and recirculate. But since I can smell things from the outside I feel like it's not completely sealing or something.

Has anyone else noticed this or is this just normal for a jeep?
Sponsored

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
A Jeep isn't exactly the most insulated vehicle.. I'm assuming you at least have a hard top?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 3-piece freedom top that has not been off yet and notice no outside smell with recirc on but can tell when it’s off

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I agree the recirculate kinda sucks, but if you don't want the outside coming in, why in the world did you buy a jeep?!?

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Make sure Jeep actually installed air cabin filters behind the glove box. That might help some.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Look to see if your cabin filter is installed. Even still, you may need to find a carbon replacement filter.

The carbon filters work better to remove oder.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I tap recirculate overtime I pass by a big Marathon refinery nearby when Im down wind. I don't notice any more odor than I did on my last two vehicles in the area (a Challenger and Camaro).

Going by a local beef farm (where they ferment manure for fertilizer) I still get odor inside, but I also have with every other car Ive owned. That cloud of rancid BS is thick.

Sponsored

modeltrainman

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku rubi
When the recirc button is pushed you should here the way the blower motor sounds change ,as it is now drawing air from the inside versus outside,try running the blower on full and listen as you push recirc then change it back to outside air.And if you dont really hear a difference you could always take it in and have it scanned the recirc motor is a actuator so if its not working it should set a code.

OP
OP

rubydoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
When the recirc button is pushed you should here the way the blower motor sounds change ,as it is now drawing air from the inside versus outside,try running the blower on full and listen as you push recirc then change it back to outside air.And if you dont really hear a difference you could always take it in and have it scanned the recirc motor is a actuator so if its not working it should set a code.
What's weird is that on non-resirculate mode (or vent mode if you'd rather), the air even on the lowest fan setting blows REALLY hard. Is that normal for a wrangler? I guess it could be the nearly vertical windshield giving great pressure for air intake. (hvac intake vent is usually base of windshield in most cars) If that's NOT normal, maybe mine's missing a part or broken or something. Vent mode on lowest fan setting blows air harder at highway speed than recirculate mode with fan on full blast. Vent mode in every other car I've owned is usually pretty weak compared to this

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
My recirc works well enough to keep all the car wash tunnel smells completely outside the rig, you must have something wrong.