Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
whats a new unit cost to put in? Hopefully it doesn't come to that but I know some of those guage cluster can be crazy expensive.
I'm pretty sure that my instrument cluster is toast. I did the self diagnostic test that Gator was nice enough to share, and if I'm reading it right, the speedo needle should've also made the same incremental movements as the tach did in my video that I posted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These guys have a nice video on R&R of the cluster. I think it may be worth your time to just pull it out and check the connector on the back. Daytona Edition Custom Gauge Face for 2018-2022 Jeep Wrangler JL and Jeep Gladiator - WRA18JL - US Speedo - Everything Speedometer
Yeah, definitely a good video. Thanks for posting that! It's not as invasive and time consuming as I had originally thought. And yeah, it's worth popping it open to get a better look. I can also take advantage of the column being opened up to scope out what burned up last year and caused the heated steering wheel to stop working.

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
I don't have a scanner. The tazer allows reading of codes, but I can't access its settings without the screen working.

I tried unplugging the tazer mini to see if that helped, but that wishful thinking didn't work. I now have both negative battery terminals disconnected, to force a system reboot, and will reconnect them at the end of the work day. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Would a handheld obd scanner be able to determine if the screen needs to be replaced or not? If so, do you have any recommendations? I'm good with mechanical work, but have never had any need to delve into the computer end of things. Uploading pics to this forum was a big achievement for me, a couple years back. 😆
Ok so on my 2018 wrangler sport s jlu I had to replace the PCM/ECM. I bought a reman and they put my actual mileage in it. I do not believe the instrument cluster stores the milage but the PCM definitely does. I put a used cluster in my Chevy stock car and it reflected the original milage meaning the PCM is where the milage was stored.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so on my 2018 wrangler sport s jlu I had to replace the PCM/ECM. I bought a reman and they put my actual mileage in it. I do not believe the instrument cluster stores the milage but the PCM definitely does. I put a used cluster in my Chevy stock car and it reflected the original milage meaning the PCM is where the milage was stored.
I got busy with work this week, so it's put a pause on my hunting down a replacement cluster. I've been using the accessory Guage feature in the Off Road Pages app to keep an eye on engine temp and whatnot. I really miss having a fuel gage.

I'm not at all concerned with the odometer matching the Jeep. If the new cluster updates automatically from the pcm, that's cool. But I'd rather avoid dealing with the dealer over it.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@AllMoparParts.com

The digital screen on my dash cluster bit the dust. I'm looking to purchase a new dash cluster for my 2019 JLUR. Last 8 digits of the vin: KW550068

I'd really like to give you the business, and get a new one vs a salvaged unit.

Thanks!

Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@AllMoparParts.com

The digital screen on my dash cluster bit the dust. I'm looking to purchase a new dash cluster for my 2019 JLUR. Last 8 digits of the vin: KW550068

I'd really like to give you the business, and get a new one vs a salvaged unit.

Thanks!
Hi Mike,
We appreciate the inquiry but unfortunately we do not sell clusters online. Technically they need to be ordered from your local dealership through an exchange program. Final programming will also be necessary after its installed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
-Benny

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
Welcome to the computer age with newer vehicles.

It‘s the main reason why I won’t buy a new diesel pickup. The poor engines are strangled to death because of emission controls, DEF, numerous sensors, exhaust soot traps, etc. Any Christmas tree idiot light on the dash needs the dealerships scanner for troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,
We appreciate the inquiry but unfortunately we do not sell clusters online. Technically they need to be ordered from your local dealership through an exchange program. Final programming will also be necessary after its installed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
-Benny
Thanks for responding, Benny.

Just to clarify, the only programming involved is the odometer, right?

Dealers are wanting about $1000 for the part + install, but the worst part that is a no-go, is that the Jeep has to be left with them for who knows how many weeks.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the computer age with newer vehicles.

It‘s the main reason why I won’t buy a new diesel pickup. The poor engines are strangled to death because of emission controls, DEF, numerous sensors, exhaust soot traps, etc. Any Christmas tree idiot light on the dash needs the dealerships scanner for troubleshooting.
I was born and raised in diesel mechanics, mostly working on heavy equipment and some older commercial trucks still in service. I did that for about 35 years. All of my personal vehicles were diesels.

Once the emissions got out of control, along with the extremely important sulfur being reduced to a measly 15ppm, I changed over to only gasoline personal vehicles.

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for responding, Benny.

Just to clarify, the only programming involved is the odometer, right?

Dealers are wanting about $1000 for the part + install, but the worst part that is a no-go, is that the Jeep has to be left with them for who knows how many weeks.
The part gets ordered and pre-programmed per the VIN/Mileage but it also needs to be configured to the vehicle once installed so its a 2 part process.

-Benny

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It 100% has to be programmed to the vehicle, basically the entire CAN network is encoded and no other module can communicate with the IPC properly until it is flashed. You don't necessarily have to go to the dealer, but you do have to use the newest witech tool which costs something like $1500.

I did have one at our shop, then an employee lost it. Very frustrating.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The part gets ordered and pre-programmed per the VIN/Mileage but it also needs to be configured to the vehicle once installed so its a 2 part process.

-Benny
Thanks for the info, so far.

It's been my understanding that it's the odometer reading, typically sent by the dealer to mail-in companies, and than the Rubicon splash screen once installed, which can be done with a Tazer Mini.

Not currently having a working screen to unmarry my Tazer is another reason I'm avoiding a dealer, on top of having a highly modified Jeep sitting unsecured in a lot for weeks on end.

My other option is a lightly used unit from an online company that sends it out with the odometer preset to the mileage I last saw, plus whatever extra miles I've racked up since it blacked out. They go for $922 with no exchange. Local dealers have also made no mention to any exchange, no doubt they'll not leave the original unit on the passenger seat.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It 100% has to be programmed to the vehicle, basically the entire CAN network is encoded and no other module can communicate with the IPC properly until it is flashed. You don't necessarily have to go to the dealer, but you do have to use the newest witech tool which costs something like $1500.

I did have one at our shop, then an employee lost it. Very frustrating.
One of my hiccups previously mentioned, is not being able to unmarry the Tazer Mini without a working screen.

I wonder if I can install the new one and unmarry the Tazer, and than visit a dealer for the flash?

fczabala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; X5
Clubs

so to unmarry the tazer (I don't own one) you have to be able to see the screen so you know what button to press next?

if that's the case, and the steering wheel buttons do work, can you try pressing the buttons on your steering wheel while someone else also presses the same butons on their jeep and tells you what their screen shows so you know what to press next?

is there a way to verify that the tazer got unmarried?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I wonder if I can install the new one and unmarry the Tazer, and then visit a dealer for the flash?
Yes you can, or you can do it in the reverse order if you’re already going to on buy a new one.
Sponsored