Steering corrected finally.

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
So, like many others, I chased the lousy steering around in my 2019 JL Sahara. It sucked stock. It sucked more with the MOPAR 2 1/2” come 4” lift kit. Whoever designed that needs a quick moment with the tape measure and a carpenter. Took the MOPAR kit off and deposited in shop dumpster. Save the shocks. They are great. Next move was Synergy springs and Teraflex 1” spacers, 8 each Alpine Teraflex adjustable radius arms and the really expensive Teraflex track bar. The one with so much play in the joints that it sounds like a 300 dollar snare drum all the time. Also allows the suspension to wander around just enough to induce a beat frequency into the geometry. So. Out with the garbage track bar. (Im sure its structurally awesome. It just has no business being installed where its supposed to be. Im a qualified structural engineer. I know these things right? Lol. So lets see. In the dumpster we have a MOPAR lift kit and one Track Bar. At 6.4 degrees of caster and 1/8” of toe, with the tires inflated to the pressure in J-Lo’s lips, it drives sort of ok. Not good enough! So into the steering gear we proudly go. With TSB in hand, I approached a local dealer in Arkansas. I am visiting from California for 2 months and had my jeep shipped out. What the hell. Life has been good to me. Spend a little. Well the dealer says that in 3 weeks time he will “Diagnose” the issue and then maybe 10 days later, install the replacement box as instructed. To whit, I says, lets read this together slowly. Look! It says “IF CUSTOMER COMPLAINS OF WONDERING, REPLACE STEERING BOX WITH THIS PART NUMBER AND THESE BOLTS. REFLASH ELECTRIC STEERING. ISE xxx FLUID. nothing about diagnosing anyrhing. No opinions needed. Chrysler figured out that an aluminum steering box, with aluminum gears (yup) and a steel sector shaft, do not good steering make. After 2 days I simply bought the box and kit from an advertiser on this forum and had a local shop install it for $230.00. My Mojito green jeep now finally drives like my F 250. Well close enough to not be a pain in the balls to go 200 miles in an afternoon. This worked. Im in the Jeep steering correction mission about 3 grand all up. But that includes the lift and dumpster ballast garbage. MOPAR kit for box was 404.00 shipped and 230 install. 634 bucks all up. While it pissed
Me off to have to pay it because I have no patience for stupidity, it was worth every penny. Hope your experience is better and that this helps you in your mission of directional control of your Jeep. Aloha.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
That is great news, that you are now happy with the way that it steer's.. 👍

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
All lift kits, including mopars, are designed and based off the Rubicon, which is 1.5-2" higher than the other trims in stock form. That's why non Rubicons net more than advertised height.

Glad to hear about you finally getting it sorted out!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
most lift kits net a little extra than advertised, because people have rock sliders, metal bumpers, winch, skid plates, etc...

as headbarcode said, the Rubicon is about 1.5 to 2 inches taller than other trims in terms of lift. So you netting 4 inches in your 2019 Sahara makes sense.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The steering on my 2018 Sahara was “acceptable” in stock form: it wasn’t the best I ever drove, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as other JLs I test drove.

But, like you, my steering went to shit with the Mopar lift and the 35-inch tires: it became extremely vague, developed a heavy pull to the right and annoying bump-steer under hard braking.

I went about fixing it differently:
  1. Kept the lift and the 35-inch tires
  2. Replaced the OE track bar with a YETI adjustable track bar
  3. Replaced the OE damper with a Fox 2.0 stabilizer
  4. Had the dealer replace the aluminum steering box with the new cast iron box under the TSB
Steps 4 and 3, in that order, made the biggest difference.

The steering still has a very slight pull to the right under heavy braking, but overall I am pleased with how my Jeep drives now.

Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Our Rubicon wandered when all stock. Adding the RK 3.5" x-Factor and 37x13.5x17 tires made it no worse but no better. Getting a dealer to do the TSB was a PITA because they all wanted to blame the RK lift and changed caster numbers (still all stock steering). Finally got a dealer willing to do the TSB and steering improved slightly. Immediately headed to local off-road shop and ordered steer smarts draglink tie-rod and stabilizer. WOW, what a drastic change in the steering!!!!

OP
OP

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Its great to see how others have approached and beat the numerous steering hardware AND geometry shortcomings. That dealer in Mountain Home Arkansas actually has a 392 in white. They asked if was interested. I was, right up until the shafted me on the steering TSB. KEEP IT. THANKS. I love my jeep. I have other super cool vehicles, I prefer the JLU for 99% of my driving. I just wish they would do a little better job on a few issues. Steering is a pretty basic feature. I mean for cryn out loud man. Come on. I actually had one of my mechanical engineers build a finite element model of the jeeps geometry. I dont even know or care what it cost me. I do know that the alignment figures were about what the try it and tweak it folks came up with. 6 degrees caster. A little toe and less camber than the axle has bent into it. This can be done but the cost of doin so is high. I left mine alone. Other than the big 6 piston x 14” front brakes and hi end steering stab, its stock. I do feel thatThe “fall into turn” feeling with larger tires would benefit from a decrease in static camber for sure. I run 34” Toyo MT’s and this is now a tuned “system” the thing works good now. Ill try to leave well enough alone. Lol. Good luck with that right?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Its great to see how others have approached and beat the numerous steering hardware AND geometry shortcomings. That dealer in Mountain Home Arkansas actually has a 392 in white. They asked if was interested. I was, right up until they shafted me on the steering TSB. KEEP IT. THANKS. I love my jeep.
Funny how dealers are total assholes when it comes to servicing and warrantying our Jeeps, and then act all surprised when we refuse to buy another vehicle from them... 😫

When the time came to buy this JL, I refused to set foot at the local dealer 1.5 miles from me. Instead, I flew 1,000 miles to pick up the Sahara at a dealer in Utah and drove it back.

I would do it again.

OP
OP

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Funny how dealers are total assholes when it comes to servicing and warrantying our Jeeps, and then act all surprised when we refuse to buy another vehicle from them... 😫

When the time came to buy this JL, I refused to set foot at the local dealer 1.5 miles from me. Instead, I flew 1,000 miles to pick up the Sahara at a dealer in Utah and drove it back.

I would do it again.
Damn right. Thats the only power we have. I am in a position to buy that 392. And want one bad. I had tonreach down and get ahold of
My inner “up yours” and tell them no thanks. Keep up the fight man. Im sick of rolling over for these assholes. Have you seen the dealer mark up on the bronco? Not only does it look like a sack of scalded assholes, Some of these sodomites are packing 50k (yes Fifty Thousand)as a “convienience” fee. WTF is going to buy a 115,000 Bronco. Same with the Vettes. Should he 65 grand. Thats whats advertised. Nope. Not happening. I hope the factories take this shitty distribution chain of speculators out of the equation one day. I bough my kid a Kia. Great experience. Easy. Here is the price. It was a fair one. Won and done in an hour. These uncircumcised pricks at GM, FORD and chrysler need taken down a notch or three. Had the taxpayers not bailed these idiots out twice, for HUGE money, they would be tits up a long time ago. Some thanks. I feel you man. I totally feel you.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My 18 was pretty much lemoned by FCA a few years ago. I got a really nice Ram Laramie from FCA. My ram is so nice but man I miss my Jeep. My friends gave Wranglers still. I sacrificed my 2012 JKU that I worked so hard to pay off for our family Tahoe in 2017. My JL was to be my treat. But turned into a basket of problems. My ram has been trouble free. So I got the itch again. Has Jeep fixed all of the JL issues yet ? Is it safe to try a JL again ?? Thanks for the steering update.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...I simply bought the box and kit from an advertiser on this forum and had a local shop install it for $230.00.
I thought I had read someone on this forum that when replacing the old style box with the new style box that a control module had to be updated with new hydraulics management.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I ask because it will surely cost me more in travel expenses to take my Jeep to an authorized dealer and get *free* warranty work than it will cost me to pay for the parts and even labor if I choose not to DIY.

I did not think it was option to do this job without help from FCA and the software updating service.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Thank you.

OP
OP

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I thought I had read someone on this forum that when replacing the old style box with the new style box that a control module had to be updated with new hydraulics management.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I ask because it will surely cost me more in travel expenses to take my Jeep to an authorized dealer and get *free* warranty work than it will cost me to pay for the parts and even labor if I choose not to DIY.

I did not think it was option to do this job without help from FCA and the software updating service.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Thank you.
There is a reflash that is directed for the ECU. I have heard from nobody yet regarding if it helps or not. It seems intuitive that it should be completed. Although In the several non-dealer performed replacements that I am aware of, I have heard nothing to signal that it was an essential item as the box resolved all issues. I intend to have mine done as soon as I can stomach being in a dealer shop. This go around gave me a real bad aftertaste regarding the dealer. When I get back to Cali, I will have it done. If this goes haywire, I’m taking the electric steering out and replacing with conventional belt driven power steering. There are several really nice systems with rave reviews.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
My 18 was pretty much lemoned by FCA a few years ago. I got a really nice Ram Laramie from FCA. My ram is so nice but man I miss my Jeep. My friends gave Wranglers still. I sacrificed my 2012 JKU that I worked so hard to pay off for our family Tahoe in 2017. My JL was to be my treat. But turned into a basket of problems. My ram has been trouble free. So I got the itch again. Has Jeep fixed all of the JL issues yet ? Is it safe to try a JL again ?? Thanks for the steering update.
Guck no🙄

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for explaining. It would be great to learn that a re-flash is not necessary.

Keep us posted!

Thank you.

OP
OP

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Mine now drives excellent. No reflash. 2019 Sahara. 6.4 degrees caster. 34” 285 75 17 Toyo MT tire. Rubicon wheels with 1.5” spacers (duplicates width of Rubicon) adjustable radius rods to allow caster adjustment. 3” net lift. Adjustable track bars (barely needed at 3” lift) new steel mopar steering box. Drives like my 2017 F 250 Super Duty prior to mods it was like pushing a Cadillac uphill with a rope. It sucked stock with the factory 18” wheels. Now I know it was the steering box. The lift caused a number of issues that needed correction. But the stock issues were steering box all the way folks should start there. Its more than free play in the sector shaft. The box, when they are bad is flawed beyond free play. The hotter the PS fluid gets, more so the problems.
Sponsored