Sponsored

Do you regret your manual or automatic decision?

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My only problem with the 6 speed is I need to drive the Jeep more :rock:
Sponsored

EJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
I am glad I got the automatic, had a manual on my first Wrangler years ago while it was fun it was super annoying in traffic and I live in NY/NJ so I have a lot of traffic.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I prefer a manual, goes with actually driving the vehicle, BUT the 8 speed auto was so smooth, perfectly matched to the 2.0T that I took that over the V6 manual, which I had in my 2015 JK.
I only wish the 2.0T came with a manual ! Great driving experience with the auto, I admit...

Somnium

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon - Sting Gray
Occupation
Systems Administrator - IT
I'm fine with Automatic transmissions... they're like a gateway drug to self driving cars.
When I went looking for my JL, it was like hunting for a Unicorn to get a manual, but I found one - So happy with it every time I drive it.
I (rudely) tell everyone that my Jeep came factory equipped with a "Millennial Anti-Theft Device".
For me personally, I think that Jeeps and real "sports" cars should be manuals - it's just proper.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Note: Every vehicle I have ever owned has had a manual transmission and my Jeep is no different.

As much as I love driving a stick, I cannot imagine doing the off-roading without the auto.
I don't understand this. This is my first Jeep and the first time I have ever driven off-road and I have no problems on trails with the manual. Maybe the auto is "easier" but I don't want "easier". I want to row my own gears even if I am climbing on rocks.

I like to row my own... manual all day, every day.
^^ THIS. I wish it was possible to Like this comment more than once. ^^

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When I went looking for my JL, it was like hunting for a Unicorn to get a manual, but I found one - So happy with it every time I drive it.
same here. drove mine 6 hours home.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Note: Every vehicle I have ever owned has had a manual transmission and my Jeep is no different.

I don't understand this. This is my first Jeep and the first time I have ever driven off-road and I have no problems on trails with the manual. Maybe the auto is "easier" but I don't want "easier". I want to row my own gears even if I am climbing on rocks.

^^ THIS. I wish it was possible to Like this comment more than once. ^^
But it has rev hang, and it has no torque at 1500 RPM, and I can’t accelerate in 6th gear, and my Miata/GTi/Si... :CWL:

Heh. Just kidding! I’m with you. I love my manual. (My lighter 2dr and Rubicon gearing arguably make it a more pleasant on-road experience than a JLU Sport, but I have to believe the JLU Sport is still a blast to drive.)

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Have driven manuals my entire life. Wranglers, jettas, and mustangs. This 2020 Rubicon is my first automatic and I’m loving it. Three weeks, so far so good

DaNimbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito-Gone, 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
The only reason I don't love my manual as much, my other ride is a Camaro ZL1. They are two different beasts to drive and sometimes I forget that, but other than that I love the manual, I love to row all the way.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
But it has rev hang, and it has no torque at 1500 RPM, and I can’t accelerate in 6th gear, and my Miata/GTi/Si... :CWL:
Oh let's make no mistake: The thing is an absolute dog when it comes to acceleration or on-road "performance". The engine options for the JLs are a disgrace (zero power, less torque) but they are all we have. This is why there is no way I would want an automatic deciding which gear to be in. To get "decent" "performance" I would have to stay in a much lower gear for much longer and I want to make those driving decisions myself.

All that being said, I hope none of us are trying to drive our Jeeps as if they are sports cars...

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I drove 16 hours round trip with two kids to get my wife's JLUR manual. Why?

It's absolutely worth it. Yes I hate the 3.6 Pentastar, but this is THE LAST manual people hauler on the market outside of compact cars. There is a primeval pleasure that comes from rowing your own gears. Who cares if you lose efficiency, who cares if you lose performance, you are the BOSS. It does what YOU want, even if the choice was wrong. And isn't that what being the boss is all about?
Sponsored