Sponsored

Diesel owners; do you regret your engine choice?

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Now that you have had your diesel for some time… are you still happy with your decision or do you regret the engine choice?

I know it was a new motor for MY20, but has anyone broken 50k, or even 100k on the new 3rd Gen EcoDiesel engine? Have you had any major issues with the engine/trans/emissions systems?

If you don’t like the diesel engine, which engine did/would you replace it with?
Sponsored

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I bought a '21 JLUR Diesel. I have had zero issues with the motor and it pulls very well at low torque. I did put in 4:88 gears after I put Toyo M/T 40"s on it. The only issue is how tied in all the sensors are so if one nut isn't twisted to the left just right (or some other utter nonsense) the stupid jeep will start throwing error codes. Lately the Tazer has turned out to be the source of some of these issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel owners; do you regret your engine choice? 20221023_140939
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel owners; do you regret your engine choice? 20221102_180647

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
I bought a '21 JLUR Diesel. I have had zero issues with the motor and it pulls very well at low torque. I did put in 4:88 gears after I put Toyo M/T 40"s on it. The only issue is how tied in all the sensors are so if one nut isn't twisted to the left just right (or some other utter nonsense) the stupid jeep will start throwing error codes. Lately the Tazer has turned out to be the source of some of these issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel owners; do you regret your engine choice? 20221102_180647
I love my diesel, I’m only around 13k miles right now though. As of now I’m still riding stock rubicon setup, but I have a 3.5” lift sitting in the garage. Once I buy 37s I’ll be installing it.

Funny you mentioned the tazer giving issues though, I “installed” mine last week and have been having random dash lights come on

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
I had a 20 Rubi diesel that I bought about 2 years ago while in Idaho. Beastly torque, 24-27mpg, and I loved the sound of the engine, but it was HEAVY! Off road, the weight really showed when in deep sand. I know this could have been a non issue with a lift and 37 or 40" tires, but didn't want to take that long path. I ended up trading it for an SUV for the wife and took over her 2 door. The reason for trading (other than keeping the wife happy) was the possible (probable) issues with all the emissions crap added to the engine. That and the cost of fuel and maintenance (+ trade value 4k over original purchase price) made an easy decision. I do miss the sound and torque though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel owners; do you regret your engine choice? 20200621_150002

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I love my diesel, I’m only around 13k miles right now though. As of now I’m still riding stock rubicon setup, but I have a 3.5” lift sitting in the garage. Once I buy 37s I’ll be installing it.

Funny you mentioned the tazer giving issues though, I “installed” mine last week and have been having random dash lights come on
I have found that you really have to follow their (Tazer) recommendations on the whole reboot and sleep cycles very closely. At times I have had to reboot & sleep cycles 2 to 3 times in a row to get it too accept the new settings without screwing up something later. Recently my 4WD went out on a trail. Initially I could not figure out why I had no 4WD but somehow a setting in my Tazer wasn't set correctly and prevented the front axle from receiving a message it was in 4WD. Right there on the trail I had to find a level spot and do the whole reboot cycle (after changing the setting) and, like magic, 4WD back in action. I like the things I get as a benefit with the tazer but I'm almost ready to just take it out permanently. I would also encourage you to correct the issues with the tazer asap as I already had the tazer kill one battery because it drained it flat several times before I realized what the cause of the dead battery was.

Sponsored

MPTee

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep - "nuff said
I highly recommend the diesel to everyone I meet. Love it.
I've had mine since March and only have about 12,500 miles on it, but zero problems of any kind so far.
The power on and off road is fantastic, the MPG is nice (24 - 28 with tires at 38 - 40 psi), and the complaints of so many on this and other forums are non-issues so far.
I use box DEF - 2.5 gallons (one box) every 3,000 miles. That's about a half tank, it's very easy to do, an no mess or odor at all.
I have not noticed a regen at any time, nor have they had any impact on me that I know of.
Interior sound is negligible - it may be louder than a gasser inside, but it's so much quieter than my TJ was that it's a huge improvement. Outside noise is a non-issue too.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Got her one 18 months ago and liked it so much I ordered one last December. 27k on hers with 35's and a Mopar lift. 24k on mine with Mopar lift and 37's and a GDE tune. A but upset that they are being discontinued. Love mine. 24 mpg on 37's and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds....
Sponsored