Do I need a matching spare?

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
I am a newbie at this having a 2" lift installed on my 2018 JL Sport 2 door. I definitely will be ready for 35" tires real soon. Do I need 5 wheels and tires to include the spare? Many passenger cars come with only a small emergency spare tire. Would using my 32" stock tire and wheel work only as a spare allowing me to buy only 4 new 35's?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Are you going to offroad? Do you want to come off a trail that just shredded a offroad tire on a street tire? Different size tires will rotate at different speeds making you traction control and ABS go crazy, but I don't think it will shut down on you completely, not sure though. With many lifts the factory wheels will no longer fit without rubbing. If you truly destroy a tire will you be able to get a replacement immediately or will you have to drive around all janky waiting for a tire to come in. Some people delete their spare all together, but they accept a certain amount of risk doing so. Lot of factors to consider. All depends on what your risk tolerance is.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I am a newbie at this having a 2" lift installed on my 2018 JL Sport 2 door. I definitely will be ready for 35" tires real soon. Do I need 5 wheels and tires to include the spare? Many passenger cars come with only a small emergency spare tire. Would using my 32" stock tire and wheel work only as a spare allowing me to buy only 4 new 35's?
I would definitely get all five. One of them blows out that 3 inch difference is going to wear the other 3 tires badly until you get 35 replaced, that is if you can even drive with it on.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
It’s a Jeep, not a passenger car. The first 2 posts are spot on but do you really want to drive around in your lifted Jeep with 35s and a mismatched spare? It’s just not done!

All in jest, but get 5.

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan to actually use your spare... yes.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've had tire punctures away from home with every car I've ever owned. I think less than a dozen, but definitely more than a half-dozen times...and only once did the tire blow out and become unfixable.

For the last couple of decades, I just use rope plugs and a compressor to fix tires, sometimes without taking them off the vehicle. I know rope plugs are a temporary fix, and it's best to patch tires (or just buy a new tire), but every tire I've fixed with a rope plug, I've driven until it's tread wore down enough for replacement. I also run with scissors, sometimes.

If you're willing to fix tires, you don't need a spare, but you should have a plan, and generally, the best plans include a matching size spare. It'll prevent damage to your differential if you have to use it, and doesn't look strange.

The spare on a Jeep is somewhat of a design element, and an important one, because it's on the rear, the side that's most scene on the road. I can't be the only one that bought tires somewhat because of their rugged good looks. ;)

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A space saver spare is the same diameter as the stock tires, just narrower. It would still have the same rotational speed. So technically you could get by if you could find a 35” diameter space saver, but they don’t make that to my knowledge. Either buy 5, get real good with plugs and a compressor, or keep your AAA membership paid up.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Buy 5 and do a 5 tire rotation, your tires will last a bit longer.
I am personally not a fan of the tire delete route.
and a jeep with 4 35s on the axles and a 32 on the tailgate is cringy to me, I would do the delete if I couldn't get a 5th to match

OP
OP
kantho

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Lot's of stuff to think about.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My spare is the same diameter, but a different brand. As long as the diameter is the same no issues.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm one of the ones running without a spare. My backups are Triple A and an extensive tire repair kit.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You are putting on a lift and 35 inch tires and you are trying to save money by not buying the spare.

Another way to save money is not put on a lift and 35 inch tires.

We don’t need any of these things. But if you are going to do it then suck it up and pay for the spare.
Sponsored