What width and offset do I need?

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So, I have no idea what width or offset I need for a set of wheels I want to put on the JLUR. Not very good at this. I'd like to do a 35x12.50x20 Ridge Grappler on the these wheels. I don't have a lift, and really don't plan on it. Wife is only 5'3", so it's hard enough for her to get in, as it is. Obviously, I'd like to not have any rubbing at full lock, and I don't plan on doing any major off-roading. Also, would like for them to stick out an inch or so. Nothing dramatic. It will all be pretty minor stuff. Anyway, thanks for helping.

IGNITE-6LUG-20x10-ET-18-GLOSS-BLK-N-CANDY-RED-A1_500_6888.png
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd consider 17s or 18s for better ride and more sidewall flex if you do get to the hills, 20s on a 35 will still have decent sidewall height but not nearly as good as 17s or 18s. As far as offset, depends on width but you'll want a positive offset of at least +18 on a 9" width or a +10 on an 8.5 to keep from sticking outside the fenders a lot.

Looks like they only make those Fuel D663 in a 20" and a 20x9 +1 offset is the best choice for keeping the tire closest to the fender edge, but will still be outside the fender a couple inches from what I can tell.

You might need a small lift for 35s on a Rubicon, maybe a 1.5" leveling kit would work but ???

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to not lift at all, and it sounds like a lot of people put that size on stock rims with no issues. I think these will look good on the Jeep. It's Sting-Gray, and I'm putting red rock lights on it, also.

Icepak

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
I would like to not lift at all, and it sounds like a lot of people put that size on stock rims with no issues. I think these will look good on the Jeep. It's Sting-Gray, and I'm putting red rock lights on it, also.
You don’t need a lift for 35s on a Rubicon. Not sure what the offset on these wheels are but something to think about if you’re getting much wider tires.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
So, I have no idea what width or offset I need for a set of wheels I want to put on the JLUR. Not very good at this. I'd like to do a 35x12.50x20 Ridge Grappler on the these wheels. I don't have a lift, and really don't plan on it. Wife is only 5'3", so it's hard enough for her to get in, as it is. Obviously, I'd like to not have any rubbing at full lock, and I don't plan on doing any major off-roading. Also, would like for them to stick out an inch or so. Nothing dramatic. It will all be pretty minor stuff. Anyway, thanks for helping.

IGNITE-6LUG-20x10-ET-18-GLOSS-BLK-N-CANDY-RED-A1_500_6888.png
God forbid you newbs do a search. This has literally been discussed hundreds of times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God forbid you newbs do a search. This has literally been discussed hundreds of times.

So, please tell me, what offset should they be with the size tires I want? I only want them to stick out an inch or so past the fender? Heaven forbid you just answer the question, or move on. What was the point in posting that? I'm sure you've never asked a question on a forum, that has been asked before.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Check this site, click middle tab (search wheels by size & brand) and if you want 20s select that diameter, and width (I'd go 9" wide) then be sure to select 5x5 (or 5x127) bolt pattern. Don't select brand, then "Go" this will get you to the main menu and the column on the left you can choose available offsets. Offsets from +20 to +25 should get you in the ballpark, anything more positive you then may run into clearance issues on the inside.
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheels-tires

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
4.75-5" of BS would be about what you're looking for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check this site, click middle tab (search wheels by size & brand) and if you want 20s select that diameter, and width (I'd go 9" wide) then be sure to select 5x5 (or 5x127) bolt pattern. Don't select brand, then "Go" this will get you to the main menu and the column on the left you can choose available offsets. Offsets from +20 to +25 should get you in the ballpark, anything more positive you then may run into clearance issues on the inside.
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheels-tires

Looks like the wheel I want only comes in +1. What will that look like?

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the wheel I want only comes in +1. What will that look like?
So do you want to learn how to figure this offset thing out yourself? If you learn how to figure it out once, you will know it forever and will be able to explain it to the next girl/guy. First thing to know is offset is measured in millimeters.

Understanding Wheel Offset and Backspacing @ discount tire

0 offset means the mounting surface sits in the center of the wheel. Adding positive offset would move the ms/face toward the outside of the wheel (less lip). Negative offset would move the ms/face toward the back of the wheel (more lip).

If you're still not sure on offset, make a T with your hands. Left hand on top and right hand on bottom. Left hand is the width of the wheel and right is the mounting surface. Keep your left hand where it is and start sliding your right hand to the left. This would be the same as negative offset. Moving it to the right would be positive offset.

Be aware that having a wider wheel will change the required offset/backspacing. Backspace is the measurement of the back lip to the mounting surface. So a wider wheel may require a different offset due to the backspacing you are looking for. Typical offset for JL Rubicon is 3.5 - 5" depending on the look you are going for.

So lets take the stock wheel. It's an 8.5" wide wheel with a +44 offset. The backspacing on this is 6" (8.5" / 2 = 4.25" = 107.95mm + 44mm = 151.95mm or 5.98") which is actually quite a bit. Reducing that positive offset will bring the outside of the wheel to exactly where you want it to be.

Go out to your Jeep with a tape measure and stick it in the wheel so it lines up with the mounting surface. Measure out how far you want it to go. Keep in mind the tire itself will hang over the edge of the wheel lip depending on size of wheel (18, 19, 20) and width of the tire. Less sidewall will hangover the lip less than an smaller wheel with more sidewall (1/4" or so). Measure from the mounting surface to the outside lip of the stock wheel so you can see what +44 is and where the lip would be if you reduced the offset to say +18. Basically 1 inch difference or farther out. You can measure in inches just remember that 1inch = 25.4mm,

Like was said earlier, there are a bunch of threads that have covered this and what is cool about most of those is the pictures that peeps have submitted showing their offset and how far their tires stick out. I personally would do a search for offset and see what you come up with.

When looking through images of offset remember that a JL Rubicon actually has 1.5" (3/4 each side) wider axles than the Sport/Sahara so the offset would need to be a bit different to bring the wheel out to the same location. Notice the model when looking at pics because there are a bunch of both.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sticky that post!!!! ^^^^
Sponsored