Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
With the absurdity of prices for headliners, I'm sure at least half of the owners thought about fabricating their own.

I never thought about it before, but I ran into a mess of personal/portable yoga/exercise mats at a sports store and after handling few out of my way realized that it may work as a headliner. They appear to come in various lengths, widths, thickness, flexibility levels, material types and textures, density, colors and most are flexible enough for a custom contoured fit.

In the past, I've seen a lot of those mats highly discounted at cheap outlet stores like Marshall's and ROSS.

Has anyone thought about this?
What type of adhesive would one use—spray on or maybe just double sided gorilla tape, or something similar?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stan_Smith

Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
I think those might be too thick and rigid.

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Mmm interesting idea , Surely some cheap Heading from another mass produced model manufacturer like Ford could work, cut to size?

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I think those might be too thick and rigid.
I believe the Boom Mats were 1/2” thick like the Harbor Freight set but not certain. I plan on using these as a cargo mat option. I might trial H.F. mat as a hardtop liner in the future since they are so cheap.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Interesting, keep us posted.

I've used yoga mats as tool box drawer liners (good) and to pad a platform my dogs ride on (not so good - claws chunk it)

I like the way you think though...

Vicious Cicle

First Name
Jeniffer Muller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meteor 350
I think this is extremely possible now) Because with the whole viral situation in the world everyone is going crazy in their own way) In fact, if we talk about prices, they are completely different. I am also confused sometimes by the price category of the yoga mat. But I've never tried doing it on my own. I just couldn't have done it) I spend a lot of time looking for those options where it is cheaper, well, or at least there are discounts. I found https://yogapractice.com/yoga/yoga-mats-the-best-of-the-best/ . So far, I'm fine with it. But I'm not stopping the search) My greed will ruin me!

Last edited:

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Totally doable with just spray glue. The roof is so rough that I think spray glue would do the trick. I also think just think several strips of 3m "strong" double sided would work.

I have the HH liners and bought them from a guy here so I got them at almost half off. Had I spent retail I would be VERY disappointed. This project is super DIYable. There is nothing to the ones that I installed. VERY OVER PRICED.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This would also be awesome for Sky Touch One owners who could use the rigid mats and install without too much adhesion. Maybe some Velcro on the roll bars?

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR