Sponsored

Painting headliner

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
Has anyone painted their headliner? You get inside of these vehicles and the really nice, plush interiors, but then look up and you see bright white. I know that you can use HotHeads or factory, but they still don't cover up all of the white. Just curious if anyone has painted it before putting on the insulators to give a nice dark color?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Has anyone painted their headliner? You get inside of these vehicles and the really nice, plush interiors, but then look up and you see bright white. I know that you can use HotHeads or factory, but they still don't cover up all of the white. Just curious if anyone has painted it before putting on the insulators to give a nice dark color?
I've seen some write ups on painting the hardtop interior for the JK. Same would apply to JL.

TERRAHAWK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler
Does the JL actually have a head liner or is he OP confused? Assuming the latter.

Closure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion tc
He just means the inside of the hard top you see while sitting in the interior n Headliner is just an easy term

OP
OP

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
He just means the inside of the hard top you see while sitting in the interior n Headliner is just an easy term
Yes, my bad....was referring to the underside of the Freedom roof. Thanks for the input...As soon as I posted this topic, several similar threads popped up and others had already answered. Some good info on this site.

Thank you.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

A thought here Rick, properly paint that portion of your hard top's interior roof the color you like that headliners don't cover and get headliners (Q: does anyone make color matching headliners?). (Painting the surface in its entirety may affect headliner adhesion.)

..I wanna guess that even in Central (longitude) Texas you can fry an egg on the sidewalk in August.;)

Which interestingly enough also brings us full circle back to your unintended question: has anyone painted a headliner like the one, say, HotHeads makes?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
They are perfect on the Bright White JL's! :rock:

Ken, your thoughts conjure up philosophical questions like is a blacks wrangler's hard top color matched?;)

(Note: this poster is well aware of the difference between a painted black (i.e. a matching colored) and unpainted black hard top.)

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I got quoted $675 to spray bedline the whole underside of the roof/freedom tops. Ton of prep and detail work, bit usually required fur truck beds. I may get another quote, then just do it myself!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I got quoted $675 to spray bedline the whole underside of the roof/freedom tops. Ton of prep and detail work, bit usually required fur truck beds. I may get another quote, then just do it myself!

Do you think Ed that this process might thereafter make headliner attachment more challenging?

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
If you mean, both. I would say, yes, due to the texture and its resistive nature to chemicals and such. . I'm gong to get another quote before I give up and buy 2 gallons of Herculiner! And do it myself . Ill go to Line X, because they do parts and smaller stuff and see what they say...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
If you mean, both. I would say, yes, due to the texture and its resistive nature to chemicals and such. . I'm gong to get another quote before I give up and buy 2 gallons of Herculiner! And do it myself . Ill go to Line X, because they do parts and smaller stuff and see what they say...
Thanks. Good luck. I'd like to see if headliners are something I would want to have first. Let us know how this turns out for you.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I will. I'm extremely anal retentive, so if I end up doing it myself I'll have to clear my whole weekend... Lol

Xzius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite
I painted mine black and couldn’t be happier with the results. I used Krylon Fusion (meant especially for plastic) only time will tell how it holds up, but I’m very confident that it will age just fine. Here are the before and after pics. I was a little late taking the before pic, but took one regardless. Total time from prep to finish was approximately 7 hours. It was fairy tedious, but overall I’m very happy. As to the adhesion issue with the hotheads liner (or similar product) I was recommended to leave those areas free of paint. There was some overspray, but I imagine after it’s sanded and wiped down with acetone there won’t be an issue.

A6640C1E-B9AA-4BDE-805D-F1103C7B03C4.jpeg

A7FA210E-0C83-4F26-A0F2-0E0D8DB232C8.jpeg

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I painted mine black and couldn’t be happier with the results. I used Krylon Fusion (meant especially for plastic) only time will tell how it holds up, but I’m very confident that it will age just fine. Here are the before and after pics. I was a little late taking the before pic, but took one regardless. Total time from prep to finish was approximately 7 hours. It was fairy tedious, but overall I’m very happy. As to the adhesion issue with the hotheads liner (or similar product) I was recommended to leave those areas free of paint. There was some overspray, but I imagine after it’s sanded and wiped down with acetone there won’t be an issue.

A6640C1E-B9AA-4BDE-805D-F1103C7B03C4.jpeg

A7FA210E-0C83-4F26-A0F2-0E0D8DB232C8.jpeg
Is it just spray paint? Or more like a bedliner paint?
Sponsored