Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeterrain.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Social Media Community Coordinator
Both the digital and needle should both be in sync since they both use the same sensors to deliver a reading. The only reason why the digital or needle would be off is a software issue or lag within the actual instrument cluster itself since the entire cluster is electronic.

When in doubt, just tell yourself it's a Jeep thing and keep carrying on.

-Jake
Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Speedo is not fed by gps

OP
OP
turnkey

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Speedo is not fed by gps
There is a member on here who is running 37's with out a re-cal that has nav and his speedo is accurate after about 5 minutes of driving and 5 mph off before hand. How is that explained? He has also posted video of it.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
There is a member on here who is running 37's with out a re-cal that has nav and his speedo is accurate after about 5 minutes of driving and 5 mph off before hand. How is that explained? He has also posted video of it.
VSS are feeding the ecu which is feeding the gps screen.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Wonder how that would work when I get pulled over for speeding.

"Well officer, my digital speedometer only showed me going 55 mph."
Cops would not care and still give you the ticket. If you challenge the ticket in court, defense of prosecution may be had if you can show the vehicle has been repair for the speedometer error and the ticket may be dismissed at the judges discretion. Had a similar issue of a wonky speedo on a truck I had.

Sponsored

ManLovesRobot

First Name
Manus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue. My tires on JLUR came over inflated. I let out 5psi on each tire to make them 37 and now the speedos match.
****and I lied. Still off. Just closer than it was before.

A1BA2767-5987-4590-8423-44304617DF2C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
turnkey

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I had the same issue. My tires on JLUR came over inflated. I let out 5psi on each tire to make them 37 and now the speedos match.
****and I lied. Still off. Just closer than it was before.

A1BA2767-5987-4590-8423-44304617DF2C.jpeg
Issue seems to have gone away after i swapped out my wheels and tires and im running at about 37psi on C-load

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine in May. It's a Sahara, GPS, infotainment and 4800 miles. Never noticed an issue until today. The speedometer gauge is 5 miles an hour higher than the digital display. When I start the JL, in park, the needle gauge reads 4-5 mph sitting still. The digital readout is at 0 mph.. Very strange. Called the dealer service dept. and they said they will try to reflash the software and that should fix it. They have been very good to work with and fix things the first time. They performed the cruise control recall and fix the steering drift to our satisfaction during one visit. We'll see if they can fix this.

OP
OP
turnkey

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I got mine in May. It's a Sahara, GPS, infotainment and 4800 miles. Never noticed an issue until today. The speedometer gauge is 5 miles an hour higher than the digital display. When I start the JL, in park, the needle gauge reads 4-5 mph sitting still. The digital readout is at 0 mph.. Very strange. Called the dealer service dept. and they said they will try to reflash the software and that should fix it. They have been very good to work with and fix things the first time. They performed the cruise control recall and fix the steering drift to our satisfaction during one visit. We'll see if they can fix this.
Good to know, mine is normally right on point now, however every once in a while im 2 to 3mph over on the speedo, but I am running bigger tires. Next dealer visit ill see if they can reflash. I also notice when this happens and i start up the needle isnt exactly on point at 0

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Mine was at least 5mph off for the first 1000 miles or so the majority of the time and sometimes it would be spot on. I also noticed that when stopped or parked, the needle would not be at zero. I thought it had gone away on its own but it came back on the way to the dealer and this is not parallax etc., it is just off.

IMG_5712.JPG

Sponsored

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My speedometer needle and RPM were both wrong. Dealer replaced gauge cluster and now all is good.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, mine is normally right on point now, however every once in a while im 2 to 3mph over on the speedo, but I am running bigger tires. Next dealer visit ill see if they can reflash. I also notice when this happens and i start up the needle isnt exactly on point at 0
Mine quit doing this completely and is now either right on or off just 1-2 mph. Weird that it corrected itself. I did take 2 pounds of air pressure out of my tires. I'm now running 35-36 pounds. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
That happened to me once. I noticed it while using cruise control. Cruise control is obviously using the center digital display reading to operate. Not the needle. It reset back to exact after I got back in and started the engine. Hasn’t happen since. Our jeep is fully stock.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Speedo is not fed by gps
While this is true Peter, what is also true is that if I wore a Speedo I might be in trouble WITH the fed(s) given my gps (grand public stunt).;)

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
Occupation
Used Car Manager/Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed my JLUR occasionally is about 5 mph apart, when stopped the analog reads about 5mph while the digital reads 0. It's a cluster issue for sure if I shut down and wait for the cluster to go to sleep then restart it will sync back up again. Adding it to the list to have checked next service along with the proximity entry that seems to have lost touch sensitivity.
Sponsored