jc_clark

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
So, first post here.😬

One of the reasons I hate the buying process is I have such a hard time making up my mind. I tend to spend days, if not weeks, agonizing over what exactly I want and how to get the best price on what I eventually settle on.

In this particular case, I've gone back and forth between a '21 model Jeep Willys 2-door and the '21 model Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. After a couple weeks of playing with options and working finances to make sure I can afford it, I finally (if only barely so) settled on going with the Rubicon. I found a dealer willing to do a custom build for ~13% below MSRP on a JLUR with the 3.0 diesel and pretty well loaded with options. Sticker price worked out to $62,715 with a selling price before T/T/L of $54,484.

So, everything seems great so far...then, I receive a follow-up email from a different dealer I had contacted previously about a 2-door Willys that was just delivered to their lot a few days ago. I initially passed on this vehicle because the salesman and his sales manager didn't seem to want my business and they made it seem like I was more trouble than they wanted to deal with (plus they were playing hardball with the price). In a matter-of-fact manner, I told them as much and left them by saying that I just don't think we'd be able to reach a deal, so I wasn't going to waste any more of their time. In the email, he attached the FWP dealer worksheet showing MSRP, the dealer costs, FWP, etc. For reference, the MSRP on this Willys is $43,055 and has most of the options I was looking for on a Willys. On the bottom, he had his GM approve a selling price of $32,000 (not including T/T/L). This works out to just under 26% off the MSRP price.

Now, I'm stuck again. :(

On one hand, the price on the JLUR seems to be on the better end of the deals I see on the threads here and I'm getting exactly what I want on it. On the other hand, the Willys has most of the things I want and seems to have an absolutely screaming good price from what I can tell.

I guess I'm looking for any thoughts from anyone with an opinion (be careful what you ask for) to help me cross this emotional hurdle in my decision making.
Sponsored

SteveTigers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
I would double check the Willy’s discount. That doesn’t seem doable based on what I’ve seen. The time from order to delivery is 5-6 weeks on a JLUR, so don’t let the delivery date impact your decision.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Judging from your email it seems like you don't like the Rubicon much more than the Willys. WIth that in mind I would go with the Willys + $22,000.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I would double check the Willy’s discount. That doesn’t seem doable based on what I’ve seen. The time from order to delivery is 5-6 weeks on a JLUR, so don’t let the delivery date impact your decision.
yeah I dont know about that deal either on the Willys. seems too good to pass up. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
The 3.0 is awesome and the Rubi will have better axles. Plus the sticker will have your name on it. The Willys deal seems too good to be true. As cool as a 2 door is, I would go with the Rubi. In fact I did go with the Rubi. I was getting close to scraping my custom order for a 2 door manual shift. I’m glad I waited. Good luck.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
So, first post here.😬

One of the reasons I hate the buying process is I have such a hard time making up my mind. I tend to spend days, if not weeks, agonizing over what exactly I want and how to get the best price on what I eventually settle on.

In this particular case, I've gone back and forth between a '21 model Jeep Willys 2-door and the '21 model Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. After a couple weeks of playing with options and working finances to make sure I can afford it, I finally (if only barely so) settled on going with the Rubicon. I found a dealer willing to do a custom build for ~13% below MSRP on a JLUR with the 3.0 diesel and pretty well loaded with options. Sticker price worked out to $62,715 with a selling price before T/T/L of $54,484.

So, everything seems great so far...then, I receive a follow-up email from a different dealer I had contacted previously about a 2-door Willys that was just delivered to their lot a few days ago. I initially passed on this vehicle because the salesman and his sales manager didn't seem to want my business and they made it seem like I was more trouble than they wanted to deal with (plus they were playing hardball with the price). In a matter-of-fact manner, I told them as much and left them by saying that I just don't think we'd be able to reach a deal, so I wasn't going to waste any more of their time. In the email, he attached the FWP dealer worksheet showing MSRP, the dealer costs, FWP, etc. For reference, the MSRP on this Willys is $43,055 and has most of the options I was looking for on a Willys. On the bottom, he had his GM approve a selling price of $32,000 (not including T/T/L). This works out to just under 26% off the MSRP price.

On one hand, the price on the JLUR seems to be on the better end of the deals I see on the threads here and I'm getting exactly what I want on it. On the other hand, the Willys has most of the things I want and seems to have an absolutely screaming good price from what I can tell.

I guess I'm looking for any thoughts from anyone with an opinion (be careful what you ask for) to help me cross this emotional hurdle in my decision making.
If the deal is too good to be true .....

Go for the Rubicon Unlimited diesel. I love mine.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Kind of depends in what you want to do with the Jeep. You planning to wheel this a lot? Lift? 37’s?

Keep it mostly stock and drive it: Willy’s
Wheel it and make use of the gear: Rubi

My .02.

OP
OP

jc_clark

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Really appreciate the responses so far. Thanks! All great perspectives.

It does seem to be a deal that's too good to be true on the Willys, but I just saw the email after business hours and I haven't called to verify it.

All the stuff I've read on the 3.0 diesel has me very interested in it. I've always liked diesels even when I don't necessarily need one.

As far as the use, I would expect some off-roading, but not a ton. Maybe some mods down the road, but not right out of the gate.

Did I say how much I hate the buying process? Just when I think I have everything worked out...😞

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
If you already know you can fit the Rubi in your budget you will not have regrets, The Willy's dealer I would be skeptical of because of their past performance. The Willy's is a fine Jeep but with one you are getting all you want with the other you are accepting less than you want and I think you will always be asking should I have bought the Rubi.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If this is a money decision the choice is easy. If money is more secondary go with your passion. I have the 2.0l turbo, a decent little engine but the 3.0l would have been sweet. The diesel was so new when I ordered my 2020 last year that I was concerned about it’s reliability...which doesn’t seem to be a problem so far. What ever you decide, embrace it and don’t look back.

Sponsored

coolstorm92

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
If you do not need the 5 seats in the JLUR, this is a no-brainer. The Willy's trim is a sweet package and with MSRP of $43k on a 2 door, I will assume it has all the options included you actually want/need.

I agree the price is likely to good to be true and probably has a bunch of stupid conditional discounts or just outright error, but if not, I would buy it ASAP.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Really appreciate the responses so far. Thanks! All great perspectives.

It does seem to be a deal that's too good to be true on the Willys, but I just saw the email after business hours and I haven't called to verify it.

All the stuff I've read on the 3.0 diesel has me very interested in it. I've always liked diesels even when I don't necessarily need one.

As far as the use, I would expect some off-roading, but not a ton. Maybe some mods down the road, but not right out of the gate.

Did I say how much I hate the buying process? Just when I think I have everything worked out...😞
If that’s the case, I would buy the Willy’s.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
So, first post here.😬

My opinion is the dealer is lying to you. No way in hell are they going to give you 26% off MSRP unless they tack on a massive amount of fees and add on’s.
Discounts don’t mean Jack. Ask them to give you a signed piece of paper showing the out the door price.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If the Willys is that price, and you don’t want it, tell me where it is. I’ll buy it and make a profit on it the next day. Are you sure that trade equity isn’t factored in? Wranglers have a small gap between invoice and MSRP. Hold back is small too, compared to other vehicles in the price range.

If your numbers are correct, the Willys in your example is a far better buy.

OP
OP

jc_clark

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Are you sure that trade equity isn’t factored in?
That would make sense, but I don't recall discussing payoff information on the trade. I gave them basic information such as make, model, condition, etc., but I'm pretty sure we didn't discuss payoff information. 🤔

Got me wondering, though. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored