JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi All,

I have a 2020 Rubicon and I've been offroading about 4 times now, however everytime I go its always a struggle to get into 4LOW. I put in 4High then cruise at about 2-4 mph, shift into Neutral, and shift into 4LOW while its rolling. However, alot of the times it pops right out of 4Low. It takes me a good 5-10 tries to finally get it in. Anyone having this same issue or is there a special trick I am missing especially with the Rubicons transfer case being geared so low?

Thanks!
Eric
Sponsored

OP
OP
JL_Krawler

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the first dozen or do times, it took a hell of a yank to get into 4 low. Its gotten easier.
Good to know that i'm not the only one at least

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Eric, having owned jeeps from '63 to 2019 I have learned that shifting a jeep transfer case into 4lo sometimes is not easy. You have to find the right roll speed and the right pressure on the shift lever to pull it in. To get it out I find it easier to shift it out like shifting a standard with out the clutch, but that is just me

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I have a 2020 Rubicon and I've been offroading about 4 times now, however everytime I go its always a struggle to get into 4LOW. I put in 4High then cruise at about 2-4 mph, shift into Neutral, and shift into 4LOW while its rolling. However, alot of the times it pops right out of 4Low. It takes me a good 5-10 tries to finally get it in. Anyone having this same issue or is there a special trick I am missing especially with the Rubicons transfer case being geared so low?

Thanks!
Eric
The more you use it the easier it will get. I put my auto trans in neutral and at dead stop just pull it straight in donā€™t hesitate in neutral. Doesnā€™t even grind. I used to do the roll in neutral 2 or 3 mph and it would occasionally grind, now mine works better when I do it at a dead stop . Either way, a steady firm pull without hesitation even if it grinds donā€™t stop, will work the best.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Per the
Same here. It gets better with time. I do believe you are supposed to be STOPPED and in neutral.
Per the manual:
The preferred method is with the vehicle moving at 2 to 3 mph. Shifting into and out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Proper advice has been given....time for a joker!

This is by design: it's here to help weed out the mall from the trail. If you can get it into 4L (regardless of tries), you've earned the right to hit the trails. If you're not able to engage 4L, stay on the pavement please.....but keep modding for when the day comes!

This goes in the FCA "pro" category :)

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I've had this Rubicon for 2 years and it's still tricky. My last truck had push-button 4L, and it was trivial. I've realized that the extra effort it takes make it even more fun to do!

OP
OP
JL_Krawler

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate everyone responses! Just gotta get out and get more practice. Hopefully once trails start opening up again.

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Did it get any easier for you after it "broke in".
I just got a new 2021 JLUR and took it out on the trails and it was very difficult to get into 4Lo (4hi did get relatively smooth by the after few days).
Not my first Jeep and no where near the issue on my other one but perhaps I forgot what it was like in the beginning.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Jeeps have always been tough to get in 4 L, it should get easier with more cycles of doing it, but my two TJā€™s NEVER got particularly ā€œeasyā€. My JL is stiff as can be and fights to stay outta 4L. Once itā€™s convinced youā€™re serious itā€™ll work ok, šŸ˜

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
4L is especially difficult to engage on Rubicons due to the 4:1 ratio.

4L is much easier to engage on Command Trac and Selec-Trac due to the 2.72:1 ratio.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I know the first dozen or do times, it took a hell of a yank to get into 4 low. Its gotten easier.
I noticed the same exact thing the first time I tried I thought I was going to break some thing. They're a bit seized right off the lot