Difference MSRP and dealer invoice

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
Maybe a stupid question, but what's a realistic difference between sticker price and dealer invoice price
Looking at the Tread Lightly program and made me curious how much of a discount it actually is and are dealer open showing you the invoice price?
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Maybe a stupid question, but what's a realistic difference between sticker price and dealer invoice price
Looking at the Tread Lightly program and made me curious how much of a discount it actually is and are dealer open showing you the invoice price?
Go to edmunds.com and build a jeep exactly like you want it. It will show you the MSRP and invoice.

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Probably not as much as you think. It depends on the vehicle. some things like the high priced Pacifica Hybrid have a whopping $100 in mark up from invoice. Yes there is hold back but most dealers also have "pack" that the add to vehicles which is basically a in house doc fee. So really, there isn't much money in new cars. The only way they can make extra when moving inventory is to hit their "number" set monthly by the manufacturer. If they do, then they can recoup a few hundred bucks a car, that is if they hit that goal. Far from a major bonus considering the daily loss they take on a vehicle to try and sell one.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
On a JKU Sport I was looking at a couple years ago it was about $1,000. Rubicon was about $2,000.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
There likely won’t be much of that on brand new JLs ? Or maybe there will be to try to pitch it as such a success right away... feel it could go either way.

Sponsored

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
They actually do pay invoice - any hold back. That is the true cost to the dealer. Sounds like there is something else there, but it's reality. The stigma of car dealerships just play on people and they think that there is more money hidden somewhere. It's actually not true.

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Dealer incentive doesn't exist, any customer rebates go to the customer and are not given to the dealership. Volume bonus is potential and not guaranteed and is paid out monthly to the tune of around 100-600 per vehicle that falls into that months bonus structure. Cost is also added to the bottom with whatever "pack the dealership adds in for labor cost to PDI the vehicle and if they have costs in dealer adds. So true cost is invoice- holdback+ pack. That is what a deal structure is based off of. The actual cost is basically never more than $2000 under invoice and that would be on a very expensive vehicle like a mack daddy truck with a $78k MSRP. Those vehicles also have the largest discounts.

Last edited:

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
That may be but the reason for my insight is in my user name. Just saying perception isn't always reality.

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Easy fella, not trying to start a back and forth here, just sharing info. I just know what I know. If any of those "other dealers" would like to speak up and prove me wrong, I'm happy to have a discussion on how I can get these dealer incentives and keep the customer rebates for profit. For now, I'll just leave these here for you. Unless you are one of the people who think that we hire someone to fake hundreds of thousands of invoices to hide profit.... Here is a 2018 JK invoice and the October dealer volume program.

;)

Oct Pro.jpg

example.jpg

1.JPG

2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: